Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Grenades both British and Enemy.

Lancashire Fusilier

Assaf - Those are definitely Turkish and there are a few around. It's the half moon slider that makes this one unique.

John

On 11/10/2016 at 15:06, Gunner Bailey said:

Here's a rare one that's hard to find. B)

Can't be too hard to find if you are looking in the collection of the IWM can it?  - SW

20 hours ago, calibre792x57.y said:

Can't be too hard to find if you are looking in the collection of the IWM can it?  - SW

That's a wild assumption. The grenade pictured is in a private collection and I was privileged to photograph it.

John

On 11/10/2016 at 15:19, 14276265 said:

Nice to see one with just a rod rather than the Hay Pocket Howitzer (spigot mortar) finned tail. Good photo, thanks.

I've never seen a photo of the Hay mortar - anyone got a photo? I've always assumed it was a bit like the Grenatenwerfer launcher.

John

59 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

I've never seen a photo of the Hay mortar - anyone got a photo? I've always assumed it was a bit like the Grenatenwerfer launcher.

John

No photo, but a drawing from Munitions Design Committee documents, May 1916.

Hay PH.jpg

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Half of a Mills No5.

GWF1967,

Very nice collection.

Your No.5 Base Plug ' B.E.C. Ltd ' was made by the Birmingham Engineering Co. Ltd., of South Yardley, Birmingham.

Regards,

LF

50 minutes ago, Lancashire Fusilier said:

GWF1967,

Very nice collection.

Your No.5 Base Plug ' B.E.C. Ltd ' was made by the Birmingham Engineering Co. Ltd., of South Yardley, Birmingham.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF,

and thanks for the maker info. You get JUST what you want if you buy your own birthday pressie!

1 hour ago, 14276265 said:

No photo, but a drawing from Munitions Design Committee documents, May 1916.

Many thanks - never seen that at all before. Interesting concept and more portable than the Grenatenwerfer.

John

On 10/11/2016 at 15:06, Gunner Bailey said:

Looks like # 819 has everyone stumped.

Here's a rare one that's hard to find. B)

No 17 with rod.jpg

Could you tell me the model number please Gunner B,  I'd like to see one from some more angles.

Edited by GWF1967

9 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Could you tell me the model number please Gunner B,  I'd like to see one from some more angles.

This is the No 17 Rifle Grenade -often called the 'Opera Hat' grenade. It was a Royal Laboratories concoction designed to be cheaper than the No 3. However it arrived about the same time as the No 20 so as there was no advantage over the Hales family on price and stocks were converted for use with the Hay Mortar 'Pocket Howitzer'. There was some operational use as a rifle grenade but it was very limited.

I'll resize some more photos.

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey

53 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Here's a side view.

John

No 17 side.jpg

Great stuff John,

Many thanks indeed for the picture and information. 

Guy. 

• 1 month later...

Grenades which used byTurkish 15 corps in Galizia, Ukraine (exept left one from below). Both from below made from zynk alloy. Two from the top made by Bulgarian (arsenal marking). All another ball grenades may be bulgarian also, may be no.

DSC_0677.JPG

5 minutes ago, venceremos said:

Grenades which used byTurkish 15 corps in Galizia, Ukraine (exept left one from below). Both from below made from zynk alloy. Two from the top made by Bulgarian (arsenal marking). All another ball grenades may be bulgarian also, may be no.

DSC_0677.JPG

Very interesting collection. Any chance of some more pictures?

On 19/10/2016 at 18:29, Gunner Bailey said:

Here's a side view.

John

No 17 side.jpg

Fantastic piece, especially with what I presume is original paint. Is that label on the side legible?

• 3 weeks later...

The British soldiers that were trained to use grenades (i.e. Bombers) wore a patch of flaming grenade in red on the right shoulder of their tunic.  Did those who used the rifle grenades (i.e. rifle bombers) wear the same patch as those that launched grenades by hand? 

Query the supposition that not all British soldiers were trained to use hand grenades.  German interrogations of British prisoners almost always say that all troops were trained in the use of grenades, for example 'It was expected that all soldiers would have thrown at least one live hand grenade before they left England'.

Yes, there would all be familiar with grenades but I was referring to the badge worn on the uniform of those specializing in the Mills Bomb (bombing sections or squads).  I know there are badges for trench mortar men, Lewis Gunners and bombers (grenadiers).  Never did seen a special proficiency badge for those who had special training in the use of the rifle grenade.  I am thinking it was same as those that had specialized grenade training (red flaming grenade) but I was wondering if anyone here knew for sure.

On 06/12/2016 at 13:41, wainfleet said:

Fantastic piece, especially with what I presume is original paint. Is that label on the side legible?

No sorry it's a museum label from a long time ago and the ink has faded away.

John

• 3 months later...

A new find this weekend. Painted unfortunately. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice Grenatenwerfer. Fuze looks much better than average.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had one of these primers for a No36 Mk4 Mills?

I've been looking for an inert one but had no luck. A relative makes repro Roman armour and is going to try and use his skills to make one for me but we need some dimensions. Can anyone help?

Thanks, 

Michael 

$_3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2017 at 19:29, Shiny said:

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had one of these primers for a No36 Mk4 Mills?

Michael 

Please explain a Mk 4 Mills? Never heard of one.

Hi,

Sorry, that's me getting things wrong as usual. I have a No 36 M Mk1 drill grenade (see the photo in post 683) and am looking for an inert primer to go inside it.

I'm not sure where I got Mk 4 from.

Michael

That's good, I thought you had just re written Mills 36 history!

There a guy on ebay who make repro grenade parts. He does make batches of Mills 36 and No 5 detonators. May be worth contacting him.

John