Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translating Ottoman Turkish?

b3rn

Do forum members have suggestions or leads on who might be able to help with translating an Ottoman Turkish letter?

The family who have the letter understand that it was taken from a Turkish trench on Gallipoli.

Try the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) http://www.soas.ac.uk/ - you'd probably have to send a scan if they can find someone willing.

I believe the University of NSW also has a program (not computer) in conjunction with a Turkish university to translate Ottoman scypt.

Cheers,

Hendo

Thanks Hendo, that's close to home so will give that a shot first.

It seems that if the document is handwritten the job of correctly translating becomes alot more difficult.

The reason is that there is "space for interpretation" left as the arabic alphabet does not have a letter (symbol) for ALL the turkish vowels and consunants. This problem was solved in the 1920s when they changed to latin script. But they had to add a number of consanents and vowels; proves that the latin alphabet was not enough either.

I know a few people locally who read Ottoman script. If you can send me a sample of the writing (a picture of a few lines of the text will do) I good investigate how difficuly (easy) it will be to translate correctly.

eric

eric-at-gallipoli-dot-com-dot-tr