Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1907 Bayonet Markings

shippingsteel

I was sent this photo of a P1907 bayonet that our good pal "Genef" had recently acquired. He was interested in what those markings may mean.

Being not quite up to the photo posting just yet I thought I should help him out. He found a nice bayonet and with some very interesting markings.

"Hello S>S, I am back from the militaria show with some luck on a 1907 bayonet. My question is concerns the markings.

I have looked on line and in what little reference material I have and I cannot find anything. So here I am knocking on your door.

On the left ricasso,the cypher with the letter R below, 4 '16,

JAC (chapman?) manufacturer. Right ricasso, broad arrow, 3 inspector marks. All are 5R E. Under the pommel,

E, 6, FC, RCE, 13

Unfortunately without a scabbard. I had no luck locating a Carcano bayonet.

Good to talk with you, Gene"

I have already given him my thoughts, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this type of pommel markings before.?

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-49362600-1354608087_thumb.j

Never seen owt like that under the pommel but guessing the markings could be 6th Field Company Royal Canadian Enginneers

Hi Aleck, yes that was how I interpreted the markings also. An interesting position to stamp all that info though - something that is peculiar to the Canadians.!

I have seen it done before on a Ross bayonet that I have. They have their maker and ownership marks on either side of the pommel which leaves little room.

And on the top is the slot for attaching to the rifle, leaving just the underside of the pommel with enough space left to stamp these markings. Funny little habit.!

Cheers, S>S

Hi S/S,

Think my 2 ross bayonets are marked on the end of the pommel but come to think of it I seem to recall seeing a rack number stamped in the same position on 1 of my brit/commonwealth bayonets, will have to check when I get more time (off to Inverness in an hour).

Also picked up a few more bayonets on my travels (german, french,egyptian), need a bit of a clean but will get some pics then as well,

Aleck

• 3 weeks later...

I have observed a number of P07 Bayonets marked in this manner ,all are Canadian.6th FIELD COY CANADIAN ENGINEERS IS CORRECT INTERPRETATION. BEST W, Howard