Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

Thanks. Re. Boardman. There appears to be a mistake. He was educated at Bury Grammar School, Lancashire where he was a founder member of our school Cadet Corps in 1892. He won a Lancashire County Council Scholarship to Peterhouse, Cambridge. He became a Science TEACHER at Huish Grammar School in 1897 and in 1902 moved to Christ's Hospital School, Horsham where he became a House Master and commander of their OTC in 1909. (This is from his very detailed obituaries in the 'Bury Times' and 'The Sprig', regimental magazine of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers).

Thanks. Re. Boardman. There appears to be a mistake. He was educated at Bury Grammar School, Lancashire where he was a founder member of our school Cadet Corps in 1892. He won a Lancashire County Council Scholarship to Peterhouse, Cambridge. He became a Science TEACHER at Huish Grammar School in 1897 and in 1902 moved to Christ's Hospital School, Horsham where he became a House Master and commander of their OTC in 1909. (This is from his very detailed obituaries in the 'Bury Times' and 'The Sprig', regimental magazine of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers).

Mark,

The D.S.O. Book information dates back to 1923, and obviously was not entirey accurate, as with the Huish pupil/teacher mistake.

Anyway, I hope that overall it helped.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF,

Could you check too see if it mentions:-

Capt Claude Rupert de Warrenne Rogers DSO (Leinster + Glosters)

Many thanks as I have not been able to locate on LG (I still cannot fathom it)

Simon.

Hi LF,

Could you check too see if it mentions:-

Capt Claude Rupert de Warrenne Rogers DSO (Leinster + Glosters)

Many thanks as I have not been able to locate on LG (I still cannot fathom it)

Simon.

Simon.

Here is the D.S.O. book entry for your man, I was also able to locate his London Gazette entry, and you are extremely fortunate, as in addition to the basic London Gazette entry, there was a much rarer Citation to his D.S.O. published in the London Gazette on 4.10.1919, which I have also shown for you :-

D.S.O. Book :

Rogers, C.R. DE W. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 8.3.1919 ) ( details 4.10. 1919 ); born 17.10.1894; 2nd Lt., Leins. R., 24.1.1914; Lt. 16.5.1915; Capt. 1.1.1917.

London Gazette entry :

London Gazette, 8 March 1919 - War Office, 8 March 1919. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following awards to the undermentioned Officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

" The acts of gallantry for which the decorations have been awarded will be announced in the London Gazette as early as practicable ".

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ........

ROGERS, CLAUDE RUPERT DE WARRENNE, Capt., 1st Battn. Leinster Regt., attached 1/5th Battn. Gloucestershire Regt., Territorial Force.

London Gazette, 4 Oct. 1919 - War Office, 4 Oct 1919.

With reference to the awards conferred as announced in the London Gazette dated 8 March, 1919, the following are the statements of services for which the decorations were conferred.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .....................

ROGERS, CLAUDE RUPERT DE WARRENNE, Capt., 1st Battn. Leinster Regt. attached 1/5th Battn. Gloucestershire Regt. Territorial Force. For conspicuous gallantry and fearless leadership in leading his company during the attacks on Beaurevoir, Maretz and during the advance on Le Cateau, 5, 6 and 10 Oct. respectively. He led his company splendidly throughout the attack and enabled the battalion on the left to carry their portion of the village, where they had previously been held up. During the advance on Le Cateau, although wounded the day previously, he again led his company forward, and when the leading battalion was held up by heavy machine-gun fire he made a most gallant attempt to assist them by pushing on until both he and all his officers were casualties.

An obviously brave man,

Regards,

LF

LF,

Perfect, many thanks.

Regards,

Simon.

LF,

Perfect, many thanks.

Regards,

Simon.

Simon,

Pleased to help.

Only a small percentage of D.S.O. recipients have a D.S.O. Citation published in the London Gazette, fortunately your man was one of those few.

Regards,

LF

• 1 month later...

Hello LF

is there a Capt F F M MacDonald RFC DSO listed? He also earned the MSM so possibly a very interesting story.

thanks

Paul

Paul,

Unfortunately, nothing listed for a Capt. F.F.M. MacDonald, I also checked McDonald, in the 1916-23 D.S.O. book, so his D.S.O. must have been earlier than 1916.

Regards,

LF

Paul

I don't know if this the same person:

No 7800 Corporal Clerk Frederick Maurice MacDonald was Mentioned in Despatches as per the London Gazette of 1 January 1919 (Gazette number 31098, page 104) and No 7800 Sergeant Frederick Maurice MacDonald was awarded the MSM as per the London Gazette of 1 April 1920 (Gazette number 31847, page 4021). The MSM was awarded for service with No 31 Squadron in Afghanistan.

I have no record of him receiving the DSO.

Graeme

Paul

I don't know if this the same person:

No 7800 Corporal Clerk Frederick Maurice MacDonald was Mentioned in Despatches as per the London Gazette of 1 January 1919 (Gazette number 31098, page 104) and No 7800 Sergeant Frederick Maurice MacDonald was awarded the MSM as per the London Gazette of 1 April 1920 (Gazette number 31847, page 4021). The MSM was awarded for service with No 31 Squadron in Afghanistan.

I have no record of him receiving the DSO.

Graeme

Thanks for this Graeme, it could be the same chap, interesting no record of a DSO.

Evening LF,

Could I ask for you too check 2 more for me please.

The first one is too a RAMC recipient which I am not sure if the name

is 100% accurate. I will list it as it is written in the book.

COL. SCOTT-WILLIAMSON

The second is:-

LT COL.W.ADAM 1/5th Glosters.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Simon,

I could not find an entry for a Col. Scott-Williamson or an S. Williamson, do you have any other details ?

There was a A.J. Williamson - Lt.-Col. with the RAMC - in command of 4th London Field Ambulance - survived the war.

I did find a W. Adam with the Worcestershire Regiment, who saw action in Italy, could this be your man ?

Here are his details :-

D.S.O. book entry -

ADAM, W. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1918 ), Major ( A/Lt.Col. ), Worcester Regiment.

London Gazette entry -

London Gazette, 3 June, 1918. War Office, 3 June, 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in Italy. Dated 3 June, 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ..........................

ADAM, William, Major ( Acting Lieut.-Colonel ) Worcestershire Regiment.

Regards,

LF

Morning LF,

Apologies for the vagueness yesterday, it was a long day.

The LG for W ADAM is the right one. My notes (which I should have looked at) shows he transfered

from the 1/7th Worcesters as a CAPT to eventually command the 1/5th Glosters in Italy. He must have

been attached rather than transfered as the entry has him as still in the Worcesters. He left for England

on 2/6/1918.

In the history of the 2/5th Glosters there is a paragraph which says :-

'' On August 28th (1918) Lieut.Wooster and a party of twenty five reported for duty as auxiliary stretcher

bearers, to the very gallant O.C. Advanced Field Ambulance, Col.Scott-Williamson, D.S.O. who had twice

gone into No Mans land with a red cros flag and had rescued a number of wounded who might otherwise

have died a lingering death. '' It later suggests he may have been captured. I have been unable to identify

this man.

Best Regards,

Simon.

In the history of the 2/5th Glosters there is a paragraph which says :-

'' On August 28th (1918) Lieut.Wooster and a party of twenty five reported for duty as auxiliary stretcher

bearers, to the very gallant O.C. Advanced Field Ambulance, Col.Scott-Williamson, D.S.O. who had twice

gone into No Mans land with a red cros flag and had rescued a number of wounded who might otherwise

have died a lingering death. '' It later suggests he may have been captured. I have been unable to identify

this man.

Best Regards,

Simon.

Simon,

I am pleased that the Worcester Regiment W. Adam was your man, as to Col. Scott-Williamson, his D.S.O. may have been awarded before 1916, when my book commences.

Hopefully, another member who has those earlier D.S.O. records, or knowledge of 2/5th Glosters will assist.

Regards,

LF

LF,

Many thanks.

I have checked the 2/5th diary and it basically says the same as the history. I'll keep digging.

Cheers,

Simon.

Looking at the WILLIAMSONs in Honour the Officers WW1 Awards for RAMC there are only two with decorations:

WILLIAMSON Alfred John A/Lt.Col. DSO, RAMC, F+F, LG. 3.6.1918 page 6460

WILLIAMSON George Scott Captain, MC. RAMC, F+F, LG.3.6.1919 page 6836

There are no SCOTT - WILLIAMSON's listed in Honour the Officers WW1 Awards - nor could I see this name in Parts 1 and 2 of the Distinguished Service Order.

Philip,

Thanks for the info.

It may be a coincidence but the second man you have listed has a middle name of Scott.

This wouldn't be the first time I have struggled to identiy a person and find the name has been written down

incorrectly. Saying that though he would have jumped two ranks even in an acting capacity but his MIC has

Captain and no more.

• 2 weeks later...

Very kind of you. Could you please check for Sir Christopher Henry Summerhayes, 12th Durham Light.

Cheers, Don

Very kind of you. Could you please check for Sir Christopher Henry Summerhayes, 12th Durham Light.

Cheers, Don

Don,

Sorry, there is no listing for your man in the D.S.O. recipients lists for the period 1916 - 1923, his D.S.O. award must have been before 1916 ?

There is only one Summerhayes listed, and he was a J. O. Summerhayes, a Lt.Col. in the RAMC., perhaps a relative of your man.

Regards,

LF

Don,

Sorry, there is no listing for your man in the D.S.O. recipients lists for the period 1916 - 1923, his D.S.O. award must have been before 1916 ?

There is only one Summerhayes listed, and he was a J. O. Summerhayes, a Lt.Col. in the RAMC., perhaps a relative of your man.

Regards,

LF

Sir Christopher Henry Summerhayes, is not listed in Part 1 of the DSO - 1886 to 31 December 1915.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello LF, Could you check please of any mention of:-

Major W F Dixon-Nuttall DSO

Lt Col Harry La Trobe Campbell RE, DSO.

MANY THANKS, KB

Major W F Dixon-Nuttall DSO

Lt Col Harry La Trobe Campbell RE, DSO.

KB.,

Here are your men :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book entries :-

DIXON-NUTTALL, W.F. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1916 ) ; eldest son of F.R. Dixon-Nuttall, J.P. ; Married 1917, Gladys Lena, oldest daughter of W. Henry Gregory ; Capt. ( T/Major ), R.E., T.F. ; Despatches ; O.B.E.

CAMPBELL, H. La T. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 14.1.1916 ), Major, R.E., T.F.

London Gazette entries :-

London Gazette, 3 June 1916 - War Office, 3 June 1916.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for Distinguished Service in the field, dated 3 June 1916.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order.............................

DIXON-NUTTALL, William Francis, Capt. ( Temporary Major ) , Royal Engineers ( T.F.).

London Gazette, 14 Jan. 1916 - War Office, 14 Jan 1916.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned Honours and Rewards for distinguished service in the field, with effect from 1 Jan. 1916, inclusive. To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order............................

CAMPBELL, Harry La Trobe, Major, 1st West Lancashire Field Company, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force.

Regards,

LF

LF,

Lt. Col Melrose Thomas Chapman was awarded a DSO for Somme in March 1917. I have all notices in despatches and whilst at RA library, Woolwich identified him the The V.C. and D.S.O. However, how can I find out why he was awarded a DSO, what he do to win such a decoration?

Also, his father, Major Joseph Thomas Chapman was awarded an OBE in 1920 for "valuable services rendered in connection with the War" whilst with No1 Depot RGA, Cannock Chase. Could I pursue the actual details as to why this was awarded an OBE in the same way as his son's DSO?

I appreciate any advice.

LF,

Lt. Col Melrose Thomas Chapman was awarded a DSO for Somme in March 1917. I have all notices in despatches and whilst at RA library, Woolwich identified him the The V.C. and D.S.O. However, how can I find out why he was awarded a DSO, what he do to win such a decoration?

Also, his father, Major Joseph Thomas Chapman was awarded an OBE in 1920 for "valuable services rendered in connection with the War" whilst with No1 Depot RGA, Cannock Chase. Could I pursue the actual details as to why this was awarded an OBE in the same way as his son's DSO?

I appreciate any advice.

There is an entry in the D.S.O. recipient's book, as follows :-

CHAPMAN, M.T. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1918 ) ; born 25.6.1888 ; 2nd son of Major J.T. Chapman, R.A. ; married 1919 Hilda Emily, oldest daughter of A.W. Warde ;

2nd Lt., A.S.C., 4.10.1913 ; Lt. 4.10.1914 ; Capt., R.A.S.C., 5.9.1917 ; served Europ. War, 1914-18 ; Despatches.

His London Gazette entry is as follows :-

London Gazette, 3 June 1918 - War Office, 3 June, 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned awards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in France and Flanders. Dated 3 June, 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ...................................

CHAPMAN, Melrose Thomas, Capt. ( Temporary Major ) Army Service Corps.

As you can see from both entries, no details are given as to the circumstances of his D.S.O. award. Sometimes, and sadly only occasionally, a D.S.O. Citation is published in the London Gazette.

There was a D.S.O. Register kept, which is available from the National Archives, I have a copy and I shall look and see of there is any additional information in that D.S.O. Register, and get back to you.

Likewise, with his father's O.B.E. award, there was probably an O.B.E. Register kept which again, would be in the National Archives, and that may contain additional information.

I am also sure that other members reading this Thread, and having further information on either men, will gladly post it here for your information.

Regards,

LF

Follow up :-

I just checked the D.S.O. Register kept at the National Archives, and it only gives the same information as that shown above, the only small piece of additional information given, is that his D.S.O. is listed as being awarded for action that took place in France.

Regards,

LF