The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Just spotted this post.

Is there any mention of

Quartermaster & Hon. Major Hugh Montrein Cressingham DSO DCM, 2nd Battalion Bedfordshire Reg't?

Many thanks in advance

Paul Cressingham

Hi.

Quartermaster & Hon. Major Hugh Montrein Cressingham DSO DCM, 2nd Battalion Bedfordshire Reg't?

Paul Cressingham

Paul,

Here are the details on your man, is he a relative ?

D.S.O. Book :-

CRESSINGHAM, H. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 ); born 31.3.1863; 1st com. 14.2.1903; Lt.-Col. 3.1.1919; retired 15.4.1920; Bedf. and Herts R.; served S. African War, 1900-02; Queen's Medal with 2 clasps; King's Medal with 2 clasps; D.C.M.

London Gazette :-

1 Jan. 1918.

War Office, 1 Jan. 1918. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field. Dated 1 Jan 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ............

CRESSINGHAM, Hugh, Quartermaster and Honorary Major, Bedfordshire Regiment.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF.

Many, many, thanks for that; you're a gent.

Is Hugh a relative?? Hmmmmmmmm.

Hugh is one huge enigma, I know that much!!... If his real name is indeed Cressingham, then; yes. Somewhere, Somehow we will be related (We Cressinghams have always been very thin on the ground)... But therein lies the enigma...... Hugh Montrein Cressingham does not exist in the UK records system before his marriage in 1892, and does not exist anywhere 'on paper' before his attestation into the Bedfordshire Reg't, 31st March 1882 (on his alleged 19th birthday).

I, and several others have spent many a happy hour or several hundred trying to track his early history down. After 1882 I am awash with information on him and his family 'unit' (If you have access to Ancestry.Com, he appears on a family tree I have created (Cressingham2). But prior to that date he and his father Hugh Robert are complete ghosts...

There are a couple of other post about him on here and on The Familytree forums, plus other sites too.

Soooooo, a very cleverly concealed illegitimate birth, or a wonderfully singular and inventive assumed name are the favourites for him as it stands at the moment.

I would dearly love, one day, to find just one tiny fragment of information that cracks his early years wide open...

Once again many thanks and very best regards

Paul.......

Hi LF.

Many, many, thanks for that; you're a gent.

Paul.......

Paul,

My pleasure.

Have you seen a copy of his Birth Certificate ? his D.S.O. entry shows his birth date as 31.3.1863. That may shed some light on his parents etc.

Regards,

LF

Hi again LF.

No birth or baptismal records exist for Hugh anywhere..

His attestation forms give his birthplace as Brighton, Sussex. His regimental obituary quotes him as saying his place of birth was Hurstpierpoint, Sussex. 31st Mar 1863. Both are dead ends..... No Cressinghams exist in either of these places at or around that time, and no Hugh Montreins appear anywhere ever, before 1892.....

No census entries for him for 1871 or 1881 (he was in India for the 1891, and South Africa for the 1901) and him, his wife Eliza and his daughter Lylie appear in Prospect Barracks, Bermuda in 1911..

I have his marriage and death certificates, his full army file, press cuttings, articles and mentions of him in the Regimental magazine, all of his entries in the London Gazette, several entries in the army lists plus a collection of 7 photographs of him and one of his medal group............. But Pre 1882....... it's like he lived on another planet..

He is such a puzzle....

Best regards

Paul................

• 2 weeks later...

Hi LF,

Is there any mention of Major Paget Kemis Betty DSO RE?

Many thanks

Cam.

Cam,

There is no listing for a Major Paget Kemis Betty, D.S.O., R.E. for the period 1916 - 1923. His D.S.O., may have been earlier or later than that period ?

A Commander Arthur Kemmis Betty, R.N. is listed, who may have been a relative ?

Regards,

LF

See enclosed extract from Part 1 of the Distinguished Service Order - page 397:

post-48147-0-68245000-1361035045_thumb.j

Sorry its a bit small - still experimenting with this new scanner.

Philip (OMRS 943)

Dear LF

I should be most grateful if you could look up Lt-Colonel AHD West, RFA, please. Any details concerning the date of the award and the unit(s) he served in would be very welcome.

Thanks - Munster BW

Dear LF

I should be most grateful if you could look up Lt-Colonel AHD West, RFA, please. Any details concerning the date of the award and the unit(s) he served in would be very welcome.

Thanks - Munster BW

Here are details on your man :-

D.S.O. Book -

WEST, A.H.D. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ) ( Bar, L.G. 1.2.1919 ) born Longford, Ireland, 27.12.1877; son of the late Rev. H.M. West; married Harriet Laura, daughter of Rev. Canon E. Chichester and the Hon. Mrs. Chichester, of Dorking: educated Haileybury College; R.M.A., Woolwich ; entered Army 19.1.1898; Lt. 19.1.1901; Capt. 27.10.1905; Major 30.10.1914; Bt. Lt.-Col. 1.1.1918; Lt.-Col., R.H.A., 24.7.1918; served South African Campaign, 1900-02; severely wounded; Despatches four times; holds Royal Humane Society's Silver Medal.

London Gazette entry :-

London Gazette 1 Jan. 1917.

War Office 1 Jan. 1917

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field, dated 1 Jan. 1917. Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .................

WEST, Alexander Henry Delap, Major ( Temporary Lieut.-Colonel ) Royal Artillery.

Regards,

LF

LF

Could you please see what there is for Lt Col JP Reynolds, RFA, TF.

Thanks

Daggers

Daggers,

Here are the details on your man :-

D.S.O. Book -

REYNOLDS, Sir James P., Kt. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 4.6.1917 ); born 16.2.1865; 3rd son of Francis William Reynolds and Clare Reynolds; married 1892, Elizabeth Emelia ( Leila ), daughter of Nicholas R. and Elizabeth Rosbell; three sons and five daughters; educated Ushaw, Durham; Forth Augustus Abbey, N.B.; President of the Liverpool Cotton Association 1907; D.L., J.P., for the county of Lancaster; joined 3rd West Lancs. Brigade R.F.A. (T.), 23.9.1896; Lieut.-Col; took command of this Brigade 6.1.1909 until 30.9.1916; the Brigade went out to France 30.9.1915, with the 2nd Canadian Division, being in the line at Kemmel until December 1916; merged into the 55th West Lancs. Division, January 1916; in the line at Beaumetz; Despatches twice; Coronation Medal and the T.D., 1914-15 Medal; Chairman, National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Liverpool Outer District; Father Berry's Homes for Destitute Children.

London Gazette entry -

London Gazette, 4 June 1917.

War Office, 4 June 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field.

To be Companion of the Distinguished Service Order ...............

REYNOLDS, James Phillip, Lieut.-Colonel, Royal Field Artillery.

Regards,

LF

• 3 months later...

Hi

My Grand Uncle, John Thomas Mitchell was using the letters DSO & DSC after his name. Just wondering if you would have any listing for him in your book, I'm having trouble locating his war records.

Thanks In Advance

Lynsey

• 1 month later...

Lynsey,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I checked the D.S.O. book listing D.S.O. recipients for the years 1916 - 1923 and see 2 entries which could possibly be your Grand Uncle John Thomas Mitchell :-

J. Mitchell - Observer Officer R.A.F. and a J.T.R. Mitchell - T/Major Royal Scots.

Could either be your Grand Uncle ? if so, let me know and I shall gladly provide you with all the details from the book.

Regards,

LF

Hi,

anything on Major William Fox Bruce signals service Royal Engineers, 47th (2nd London Division). DSO, MC

thanks

matt

Hi,

anything on Major William Fox Bruce signals service Royal Engineers, 47th (2nd London Division). DSO, MC

thanks

matt

Matt,

Yes, here is your man :-

D.S.O. Book entry :-

BRUCE, W.F. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 ) born 7.8.1883; son of the Hon. W.N. Bruce, C.B.; educated New College, Oxford; Capt. ( A/Major ), R.E.; Major, Royal Corps of Signals. T.F.: Europe War, 1914-18; wounded; Despatches thrice; M.C.; Royal Humane Society's Bronze Medal.

London Gazette, 1 Jan 1918 - War Office, 1 Jan 1918. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field. Dated 1 Jan 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ...................

BRUCE, William Fox, M.C., Capt ( Acting Major ), Royal Engineers.

Obviously a brave man the D.S.O. and M.C.

Regards,

LF

many thanks! yes I think he was! The Royal Human socitey's award, Bethune was for was going into a canal where a transport had rode in and got the men out. Bethune/Givenchy area I think if I remember right in 1915. Anyway I have his tunic dated August 1917, no photo of him though, captured in March 1918 but quite a man!

many thanks again

matt

Anyway I have his tunic dated August 1917, no photo of him though, captured in March 1918 but quite a man!

many thanks again

matt

Matt,

If you get the chance, perhaps you could post a photo of his tunic ?

Regards,

LF

Is there by any chance some info on John Victor Kershaw (11th East Lancs) , awarded the DSO in 1917 or Thomas Henry Boardman (8th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers) awarded in 1916, both old boys of Bury Grammar School? I know quite a bit about both but there might be some odd additional information I don't have. Many thanks.

sadly my collection is all in storage, however when it comes back out in the light of day, then yes of course I will

matt

Is there by any chance some info on John Victor Kershaw (11th East Lancs) , awarded the DSO in 1917 or Thomas Henry Boardman (8th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers) awarded in 1916,

Mark,

Here are your men :-

D.S.O. Book :-

BOARDMAN, T.H. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ); educated Huish Grammar School, Taunton; Christ's Hospital O.T.C.; was for a long time in the auxillary forces; Lt.-Colonel commanding S. Bn. of the Inniskillings from Sept. 1916; died of wounds 5.8.1917.

KERSHAW, J.V. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 ), T/Major, E. Lancs. R.

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1917 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1917. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field, dated 1 Jan. 1917.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .................

BOARDMAN, Thomas Henry, Temporary Major, Royal Irish Fusiliers.

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1918 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1918. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field, dated 1 Jan. 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .................

KERSHAW, John Victor, Temporary Major, East Lancashire Regt.

There are a couple of bits of possibly new information for you. J.H. Boardman getting his D.S.O. in 1917 and going to Huish Grammar School. Died of wounds, if this is the same man.

Regards,

LF