Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

LF,

Thank you so much for posting the piece from the London Gazette and even to see his particular act of bravery listed amongst all the other acts of bravery and real courage. It really is an eye opener. My father said he never spoke much about the war and children didn't ask either!!

As for your other piece of news......I am abit in shock about that to say the least. Can I ask how you were able to find that out and is there any way that I can find out who sold the medal or even who it went to?? I was told it was stolen from my uncles house (in Australia!). He was the eldest and also ended up serving in the Australian army in WWII so I am sure he would have treasured the medals of his own father. I think the other medals were for having already been in the army before War was declared. He had actually finished his service and then signed up again. thanks again for being so helpful.

tm

LF,

Thank you so much for posting the piece from the London Gazette and even to see his particular act of bravery listed amongst all the other acts of bravery and real courage. It really is an eye opener. My father said he never spoke much about the war and children didn't ask either!!

As for your other piece of news......I am abit in shock about that to say the least. Can I ask how you were able to find that out and is there any way that I can find out who sold the medal or even who it went to?? I was told it was stolen from my uncles house (in Australia!). He was the eldest and also ended up serving in the Australian army in WWII so I am sure he would have treasured the medals of his own father. I think the other medals were for having already been in the army before War was declared. He had actually finished his service and then signed up again. thanks again for being so helpful.

tm

Company Sgt. Major ( C.S.M. ) M.H. Newham, would have also qualified for other WW1 medals, and you can obtain a copy of his medal card from the British National Archives, that will list all his medals. I shall send you his medal card link, and although they charge a small fee for the copy of the medal card, it may be something the family would like to have.

As to the auctioning of your Grandad's D.C.M. medal, that happened over 14 years ago, and I doubt that the Auction House would be willing or able to give you any information on the 1999 seller or the buyer. I would hate to think the D.C.M was stolen in Australia, and then sold in London ?

However, there is a website where someone looking for a relative's medal(s) can post an enquiry, which sometimes is successful in tracking down medals.

I know members of this Forum have details of that medal location service, hopefully someone will respond with information.

Regards,

LF

thank you LF you have been so helpful and kind as I am based in Ireland and have to rely on internet for information!

Well the main thing is that my Grandad fought bravely, more importanly, he survived the war and thankfully led a long civilian life and my dad was born as a result! Just surprised to hear about his medal. I will put up a post about his medal on the forum and you never know! I found a letter from the Ministry of Defence dated 1997 a cousin sent me and he was awarded a British War Medal 1914-18 and a Victory Medal (which were also stolen!). He was in the 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers (pre war) 1906-1912 and 6th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (after rejoining in 1914). He transferred to the Buffs in 1916 and officially discharged in 1920 from Army Reserve.

thanks again

TM

Well the main thing is that my Grandad fought bravely, more importanly, he survived the war and thankfully led a long civilian life and my dad was born as a result!

TM,

You must all be very proud of your Grandad, as only 24,591 Distinguished Conduct Medals ( D.C.M. ) were awarded during WW1 for services in the field, of which your Grandad, CSM. M. H. Newham, D.C.M. was one.

I am also pleased to hear that he survived the war, and went on to have a long and happy life.

Attached is a photo of the D.C.M. medal, the type awarded to your Grandad.

Please post a general enquiry on this Forum with as much information as you have, specifically relating to CSM. M.H. Newham, D.C.M. and hopefully other members may have some additional information on him.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-07902600-1398206909_thumb.j

LF,

Once again, thank you for that information. It is very much appreciated and yes we are proud of him. Great to have military information about him as none of us seem to know much about his war experiences.

Kind regards

TM...

I live in Culcheth, Warrington, Cheshire and the local war memorial is in the graveyard of Newchurch Parish Church in the village and the first name on the memorial is that of Lt Col Thomas Henry Boardman DSO Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. My father served in the same regiment during the 1950s and I would be interested in hearing who Col Boardman was etc.

I live in Culcheth, Warrington, Cheshire and the local war memorial is in the graveyard of Newchurch Parish Church in the village and the first name on the memorial is that of Lt Col Thomas Henry Boardman DSO Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. My father served in the same regiment during the 1950s and I would be interested in hearing who Col Boardman was etc.

Paul,

Welcome to the Forum, and here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Lt. Col. T.H. Boardman, D.S.O.

This should give you some good information, which you can build on.

D.S.O. Book -

BOARDMAN, T. H. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ) ; Educated Huish Grammar School, Taunton ; Christ's Hospital O.T.C ( Officer Training Corps. ) was for a long time in the auxiliary forces ; Lt.-Colonel commanding Second Battalion of the Royal Inniskillings from September 1916 ; died of wounds 5.8.1917.

London Gazette -

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1917 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field, dated 1 Jan. 1917.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ...............................

BOARDMAN, Thomas Henry, Temporary Major, Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

My Great Grandfather was awarded the DSO (see my pic - his medals)

Major Henry Leigh Newton (Royal Artillery) w/46th Division

I have the actual London Gazzette that the DSO was reported - 4th June 1917

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30111/supplement/5472

---

He was at the Battle of Loos (Oct 1915) and the Somme (July 1916).

He was hit by multiple gunshots in both legs at Paschandaelle 31st July 1917, and it took him years to learn to walk again.

---

I have absolutely no info on when and why he was awarded the DSO, the dates would probably put him at the Battle of Arras, May 1917?

I've been to the Royal Artillery (Firepower) Museum in Woolwich and had no luck finding anything.

any help greatly appretiated

My Great Grandfather was awarded the DSO (see my pic - his medals)

Major Henry Leigh Newton (Royal Artillery) w/46th Division

I checked the D.S.O. recipient's book, and that only contains the basic information you already have. Very rarely, the London Gazette publishes the D.S.O. Citation. Unfortunately, that was not the case with Major H. L. Newton.

Regards,

LF

Much thanks

You may also wish to check the D.S.O. Register which is kept at the National Archives and is also available on line, as that may provide you with some additional information.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

Brig-Gen G N Cartwright RA

Paul,

Unfortunately no listing for your man in my 1916 - 1923 D.S.O. recipient's book, so his D.S.O. must have been awarded before 1916.

Regards,

LF

Paul,

Unfortunately no listing for your man in my 1916 - 1923 D.S.O. recipient's book, so his D.S.O. must have been awarded before 1916.

Regards,

LF

Paul

Extract Part 1 Distinguished Service Order 1886 to 1 December 1915 - page 358.

post-48147-0-62418000-1401520870_thumb.j

Philip

Cartwright's DSO was announced in the Fourth Supplement to the London Gazette of Tuesday the 16th of February 1915, issued Thursday 18 February (Gazette number 29074, page 1690) without citation. The entry reads:

Royal Field Artillery

To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order

Lieutenant-Colonel G. N. Cartwright (55th Battery)

The entry in the Register of the DSO gives "Invested by the King at Buckingham Palace on 15th May 1915 (0137/1891) Warrant despatched 27-5-16 2nd receipt recd 28.10.17"

Graeme

• 1 month later...

Hi LF

What information is available in Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) recipients from 1916 - 1923. on Chaplain to Forces Richard Bird DSO. He served with the 16th irish Division.

Regards

Seamus

Hi LF

What information is available in Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) recipients from 1916 - 1923. on Chaplain to Forces Richard Bird DSO. He served with the 16th irish Division.

Regards

Seamus

Seamus,

Here are the entries for The Rev. R. Bird, D.S.O. from both the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and the London Gazette :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

BIRD, Rev., R., M.A. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 ) ; born 1882 ; son of T.J. Bird ; educated Trinity College, Dublin ; ordained 1905 ; Rector of Ballyfin 1907 ; Chaplain to the Forces 1915 ; Rector of St. Kevin's S.C.R., Dublin, 1919 ; served Europ. War ; Prisoner of War, March, 1918 ; Despatches twice.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan 1918 - War Office 1 Jan 1918. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field. Dated 1 Jan. 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order : .......................................

BIRD, Rev. Richard, Temporary Chaplain to the Forces, Fourth Class, Army Chaplains' Department.

Regards,

LF

• 1 month later...

A Forum member is seeking to establish if a William George Howard was awarded the D.S.O.

I have checked my D.S.O. Recipient's Book for the period 1916-1923, and can find no entry for him.

Does any member have any information on his possible D.S.O. award prior to 1916 ?

LF

Pages 390 and 391 of 'Honour the Officers' - recipients of awards during World War by Michael MATON lists all the HOWARD's in receipt of decorations - an extremely useful book.

There is no William George HOWARD listed for DSO.

Nor can I see him listed in Part 1 of the DSO book.

There is a William Gilbert HOWARD RN with DSO L.G.27.5.1919.

Philip OMRS 943

Pages 390 and 391 of 'Honour the Officers' - recipients of awards during World War by Michael MATON lists all the HOWARD's in receipt of decorations - an extremely useful book.

There is no William George HOWARD listed for DSO.

Nor can I see him listed in Part 1 of the DSO book.

There is a William Gilbert HOWARD RN with DSO L.G.27.5.1919.

Philip OMRS 943

Philip,

Many thanks for checking, and for the book recommendation.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

LF,

Could you kindly look up the DSO for Major Thomas George Frederick Cochrane, Special Reserve, 2nd Bn The Black Watch.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

LF,

Could you kindly look up the DSO for Major Thomas George Frederick Cochrane, Special Reserve, 2nd Bn The Black Watch

Mike,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for your man :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

COCHRANE, Hon. T. G. F., B.A. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1919 ) ; born 19.3.1983 ; eldest son of 1st Baron Cochrane and Lady Gertrude Boyle, daughter of 6th Earl of Glasgow ; married Hon. Elin Douglas-Penant, daughter of 2nd Baron Penrhyn ; educated Eton ; Christ Church, Oxford ; served Europ. War, 1914-19 ; Major, Black Watch, S.R. ; wounded thrice ; Despatches thrice.

London Gazette :

London Gazette 1 Jan 1919. - War Office, 1 Jan. 1919.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in Egypt. Dated 1 Jan. 1919.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .........................

COCHRANE, Thomas George Frederick, Capt. ( Acting Major ), Royal Highlanders ( Special Reserve ), attached 2nd Battn.

Regards,

LF