Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

Thanks for this LF, very informative. Funnily enough I'm visiting the NA next week so I'll request the OBE register. I appreciate you searching the DSO reg. Many thanks again.

Sincere thanks again, LF - Much appreciated.

KB.

• 2 months later...

beestonboxer,

Here is the information you requested on both B. Granville's D.S.O. and Bar :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book -

GRANVILLE, B ( D.S.O. London Gazette Jan 1 1918 ) ( Bar, London Gazette 22 April 1918 ); son of Major P. Granville, of Wellesbourne, Warwickshire ; married Edith, daughter of Rt. Hon. Sir F. Halsey, Bart., and Mary, daughter of late F.O. Wells ; educated Eton ; joined 3rd K.O. Hussars, 1896 ; served South Africa War ; retired 1908 ; joined Warwicks. Yeomanry ; served Europ. War in Salonika, Egypt, Palestine and France, 1914 to end of War; wounded ; retired as Colonel of Warwicks. Yeomanry, 1921 ; Hon. Sec. Warwickshire Hounds.

London Gazette entries :-

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1918. War Office, 1 Jan. 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field. Dated 1 Jan. 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ...........

GRANVILLE, Bernard, Major ( Temporary Lieut.-Colonel ) ( Capt., Retired Pay ), Yeomanry.

London Gazette, 22 April, 1918. War Office, 22 April, 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following awards to the undermentioned Officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

Awarded a Bar to the Distinguished Service Order : ....................

GRANVILLE, Bernard, D.S.O., Major ( Acting Lieut.-Colonel ), Yeomanry. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. With half a company and without any reserves, he maintained his position for 24 hours against a vastly superior enemy force, during which period he was continually under fire of all kinds. It was largely owing to his coolness, presence of mind, and the example which he set to his men that the enemy was held back and a critical situation averted.

( D.S.O. gazetted 1 Jan. 1918 ).

It is so nice to have the Bar Citation also,

Regards,

LF

• 2 months later...
Guest shap1968

Hi LF,

Could you check too see if it mentions:-

Capt Claude Rupert de Warrenne Rogers DSO (Leinster + Glosters)

Many thanks as I have not been able to locate on LG (I still cannot fathom it)

Simon.

did you have any luck ,as i am also researching him and cant find anything

If you look back to August 21, 2013, you will see that I sent you his complete D.S.O. information and a nice D.S.O. Citation, here it is again :-

Simon.

Here is the D.S.O. book entry for your man, I was also able to locate his London Gazette entry, and you are extremely fortunate, as in addition to the basic London Gazette entry, there was a much rarer Citation to his D.S.O. published in the London Gazette on 4.10.1919, which I have also shown for you :-

D.S.O. Book :

Rogers, C.R. DE W. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 8.3.1919 ) ( details 4.10. 1919 ); born 17.10.1894; 2nd Lt., Leins. R., 24.1.1914; Lt. 16.5.1915; Capt. 1.1.1917.

London Gazette entry :

London Gazette, 8 March 1919 - War Office, 8 March 1919. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following awards to the undermentioned Officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

" The acts of gallantry for which the decorations have been awarded will be announced in the London Gazette as early as practicable ".

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ........

ROGERS, CLAUDE RUPERT DE WARRENNE, Capt., 1st Battn. Leinster Regt., attached 1/5th Battn. Gloucestershire Regt., Territorial Force.

London Gazette, 4 Oct. 1919 - War Office, 4 Oct 1919.

With reference to the awards conferred as announced in the London Gazette dated 8 March, 1919, the following are the statements of services for which the decorations were conferred.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .....................

ROGERS, CLAUDE RUPERT DE WARRENNE, Capt., 1st Battn. Leinster Regt. attached 1/5th Battn. Gloucestershire Regt. Territorial Force. For conspicuous gallantry and fearless leadership in leading his company during the attacks on Beaurevoir, Maretz and during the advance on Le Cateau, 5, 6 and 10 Oct. respectively. He led his company splendidly throughout the attack and enabled the battalion on the left to carry their portion of the village, where they had previously been held up. During the advance on Le Cateau, although wounded the day previously, he again led his company forward, and when the leading battalion was held up by heavy machine-gun fire he made a most gallant attempt to assist them by pushing on until both he and all his officers were casualties.

Obviously a brave man,

Regards,

LF

Bit confused about shap1968's message. The info was listed in the next post to the original one.

I certainly received the info back then and again many thanks.

Simon.

shap 1968.

See post yesterday's post # 105 for lots of information on :-

ROGERS, CLAUDE RUPERT DE WARRENNE, Capt., 1st Battn. Leinster Regt. attached 1/5th Battn. Gloucestershire Regt. Territorial Force.

Regards,

LF

Bit confused about shap1968's message. The info was listed in the next post to the original one.

I certainly received the info back then and again many thanks.

Simon.

Simon,

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

LF

Hi when you have a minute could you look up John Sharman Fowler - Army Signals

Many thanks

Isadore

John Sharman Fowler - Army Signals

Isadore

Isadore,

My D.S.O. Book only covers the years 1916-1923, and unfortunately, there is no listing for a J.S. Fowler or a J. Sharman Fowler, so perhaps his D.S.O. was awarded earlier than 1916.

I know other members have those earlier D.S.O. records, and I am sure they will check for you.

Regards,

LF

Isadore

Lt John Sharman Fowler, RE, was awarded the DSO as per the London Gazette of 16 July 1895 (Gazette Number 26644, page 4021); this was for service in the operations in Chitral. During the Great War he was the Director of Army Signals, BEF. He was later Lt-Gen Sir John Fowler KCB KCMG DSO.

Graeme

LancasterFusilier many thanks for checking for me.

Lt John Sharman Fowler, RE, was awarded the DSO as per the London Gazette of 16 July 1895 (Gazette Number 26644, page 4021); this was for service in the operations in Chitral. During the Great War he was the Director of Army Signals, BEF. He was later Lt-Gen Sir John Fowler KCB KCMG DSO.

Many thanks Graeme I thought i was awarded during WW1

LF,

Could you do a check on a G. Rowan DSO MC who in 1919 was a Lt. in 7th Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)? I do not have a forename.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Could you do a check on a G. Rowan DSO MC who in 1919 was a Lt. in 7th Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)? I do not have a forename.

Mike,

Here are both the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Gilbert Rowan :-

D.S.O. Book -

ROWAN, G ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1919 ), Lt. ( A/Major ), 1/7th Battalion Royal Highlanders, T.F., attached 254th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers ; Military Cross.

London Gazette -

London Gazette, 3 June, 1919 - War Office, 3 June, 1919.

The King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in France and Flanders. Dated 3 June, 1919.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order.........

ROWAN, Gilbert, M.C., Lieut. ( Acting Major ), 1/7th Battalion Royal Highlanders, Territorial Force, attached 254th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers.

Note, he also has the Military Cross.

Regards,

LF

Mike,

Here are both the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Gilbert Rowan :-

D.S.O. Book -

ROWAN, G ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1919 ), Lt. ( A/Major ), 1/7th Battalion Royal Highlanders, T.F., attached 254th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers ; Military Cross.

London Gazette -

London Gazette, 3 June, 1919 - War Office, 3 June, 1919.

The King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in France and Flanders. Dated 3 June, 1919.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order.........

ROWAN, Gilbert, M.C., Lieut. ( Acting Major ), 1/7th Battalion Royal Highlanders, Territorial Force, attached 254th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers.

Note, he also has the Military Cross.

Regards,

LF

Very informative. Many thanks, LF.

Hi could you do a check on Maurice Henry Newham 1/5th East Kent Regiment (the Buffs)? He was awarded a DCM and medal record states mentioned in LG on 20/8/1917 but can't seem to find this.

Many thanks!!

Hi

Can you help, please with some details of

Lt. Colonel William Burnett, 5th North Staffordshire Regiment

DoW 3/7/16

I'm struggling with any details of his D.S.O,

many thanks,

Graeme

Lt. Colonel William Burnett, 5th North Staffordshire Regiment

Graeme,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Lt. Col. William Burnett.

D.S.O. Book -

BURNETT, William ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1916 ), Lt. Col., N. Staffs Regiment ( Territorials ). He died of wounds 3.7.1916.

London Gazette -

London Gazette, 3 June 1916 - War Office 3 June, 1916.

The King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for Distinguished Service in the field, dated 3 June, 1916.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ..............................

BURNETT, William, Major ( Acting Lieut.-Colonel ) North Staffordshire Regiment ( T.F. )

Regards,

LF

Hi could you do a check on Maurice Henry Newham 1/5th East Kent Regiment (the Buffs)? He was awarded a DCM

Welcome to the Forum, unfortunately, my book only covers D.S.O. ( Distinguished Service Order ) recipients.

I shall try and find M.H. Newham's entry in the London Gazette, and I know there are other Forum members who may also be able to provide you with information on this man.

Regards,

LF

LF and Graeme,

thank you so much for your speedy replies!! I am only just working my way around this website which I found last night. Wow, just reading that entry is bringing tears to my eyes. I will show my dad this entry :) . Sadly my grandad's medals were stolen years ago in house burglary. I know copies were re-issued to an overseas member of my family years ago and they were much smaller in size when I saw them. Do you know if you can still get 'copies' of medals?

thanks again.

Many, many thanks for that, I was really struggling to find anything,

Pleased it helped.

Regards,

LF

Sadly my grandad's medals were stolen years ago in house burglary.

I do not know if you are aware that the D.C.M. issued to your Grandad, Company Sgt. Major 241481 M.H. Newham of the East Kent Regiment, was in fact sold by a leading London medal auction house for 230 pounds on 17th September 1999. Here is their auction lot No.482 listing :-

482 A Great War D.C.M. awarded to Company Sergeat Major M. H. Newham, 1/5th Battalion, East Kent Regiment Distinguished Conduct Medal, G.V.R. (241481 C.S. Mjr. M. H. Newham, 1/5 E. Kent. R.-T.F.) contact marks and edge bruising, therefore nearly very fine £150-200 £230

Regards,

LF

Hi could you do a check on Maurice Henry Newham 1/5th East Kent Regiment (the Buffs)? He was awarded a DCM and medal record states mentioned in LG on 20/8/1917 but can't seem to find this.

Here is a copy of the London Gazette ( Edinburgh Supplement ) dated 30th August, 1917, which announces your Grandad's D.C.M. Award.

His entry ( M.H. Newham ) is at the top on the right, if this copy is too small to read, let me know, and I shall post a larger copy.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-49017200-1398198329_thumb.j

He was awarded a DCM and medal record states mentioned in LG on 20/8/1917 but can't seem to find this.

Yes, that is way too small to read, here is a larger copy, your Grandad's D.C.M. is again listed top right.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-59404800-1398198751_thumb.j