Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

I now have listing on all the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) recipients from 1886 - 1923.
Apart from the D.S.O. listings, the book also provides more detailed information and photographs on many of the D.S.O. recipients.
If any member would like me to look up a particular D.S.O. recipient, I shall be pleased to do so.
LF

Is that the O'Moore Creagh/Humphris one?

Is that the O'Moore Creagh/Humphris one?

Steven,

Yes, it appears to be a re-write or very similar version of the O'Moore Creagh/Humphris book, and is published by the Naval and Military Press.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF,

Is there something about Major Charles Edward Fysh 6th Seaforth ?

and about French officiers who got the DSO ?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Florent

Steven,

Yes, it appears to be a re-write or very similar version of the O'Moore Creagh/Humphris book, and is published by the Naval and Military Press.

Regards,

LF

Reprint, I suspect. They also produce the same authors' VC book.

Hello LF,

Is there something about Major Charles Edward Fysh 6th Seaforth ?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Florent

Florent,

Yes, there is an entry for Major. C.E. Fysh D.S.O. - D.S.O. London Gazette 16.9.18 - Lt. ( A/Major ) 6th

( Morayshire ) Bn. ( Territorial ) Seaforth Highlanders - Military Cross and Bar - He was killed in action 28.7.1918.

Regards,

LF

Reprint, I suspect. They also produce the same authors' VC book.

Steven,

Yes, that is correct - the book lists all the D.S.O. recipients A - Z, 1916- 1923 and also the London Gazette D.S.O. entries.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF,

Florent

I can see London Gazette entries for Dominon Forces, Canada, Australia etc. I shall look to see if there are any D.S.O. French officers listed.

Regards,

LF

Florent

Florent,

I checked through the book, and can see no reference to ' French ' recipients of the D.S.O., unless they are listed individually by name ?

Regards,

LF

Morning

is there an entry for

Major William Selwyn Pearman-Smith

at all, please,

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme,

I can see no entries for either Pearman-Smith, or W.S.P. Smith for 1916-1923.

The book also lists the London Gazette D.S.O. entries, so if you know the month, and year, or just the year of his award, I can look through the London Gazette entries.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF

Is there a photograph of Major Harold Fownes SOMERVILLE ?

Thanks

khaki

khaki,

There is no photograph for Major Somerville, there is the following entry :-

SOMERVILLE, H.F. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ); Born 25.5.1881; 2nd Lt., Rifle Brigade., 11.8.1900; Lt. 5.11.1901; Capt. 8.7.1908;

Major 1.9.1915.

Altough the above entry lists his London Gazette D.S.O. as being 1.1.1917, it is listed under 24 January 1917, as follows :-

War Office, 24 June 1917. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned Honours and Rewards for valuable services rendered in connection with the War, with effect from 1 Jan 1917, inclusive, except where othewise stated.

To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order............

SOMERVILLE, Harold Fownes, Major, Rifle Brigade.

Regards,

LF

Morning

is there an entry for

Major William Selwyn Pearman-Smith

at all, please,

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme,

The book is split into 2 sections, the first section are all the D.S.O. London Gazette entries in date order, the second section is headed

' Index to Companions of the Distinguished Service Order '. This section is in alphabetical order, and contains listings which in some cases contain a lot of information on the D.S.O. recipient and even a photograph, and in other cases there is not so much information and no photograph.

If you know Major William Selwyn Pearman-Smith was awarded the D.S.O. and know the year of the award, I can check the date order in the London Gazette section for you.

Regards.

LF

Hes here as William Selwyn Smith

Graeme

No bother at all, pleased to help.

I found the following short entry :-

SMITH, W.S. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 ), Capt., R.F.A.

The London Gazette listing for 1 Jan 1918, is as follows :-

War Office, 1 Jan 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the Field.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ........

SMITH, William Selwyn, Capt., Royal Field Artillery.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF

Is there any information on

1. Brigadier-General Gilbert Boys Smith

2. Major-General John Arkwright Strick

I'm trying to dig out as much as I can for a friend of mine who is a distant relative of them both.

Thanks

Peter

Hi LF

Is there any information on

1. Brigadier-General Gilbert Boys Smith

2. Major-General John Arkwright Strick

I'm trying to dig out as much as I can for a friend of mine who is a distant relative of them both.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

I cannot see any entry for a Major-General John Arkwright Strick in the A - Z listings for D.S.O. recipients 1916 - 1923.

Whilst there is no entry for Brigadier-General Gilbert Boys Smith, there is an entry for a G.E. Smith born 6.8.1868 the son of A. Smith of Winchester.

He went through the ranks to become a Brig-General. Could this be your man ? If so, I have more details on him and his D.S.O.

Regards,

LF

I have just purchased a book listing all the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) recipients from 1916 - 1923.

Apart from the D.S.O. listings, the book also provides more detailed information and photographs of some of the D.S.O. recipients.

If any member would like me to look up a particular D.S.O. recipient, I shall be pleased to do so.

LF

LF,

Would you be so kind to look up these two officers:

John Evelyn Thornhill, Seaforth Highlanders

Richard Archibald Bulloch, The Black Watch

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike

Hello LF

Many thanks !

One name to try a french officer who got the DSO : D' AUSSAGUEL DE LASBORDES. Marie Gustave Henri Chef de Bataillon 2/ 22nd R.I ( DSO June 1918 - KIA 10/18)

Florent

LF,

Would you be so kind to look up these two officers:

John Evelyn Thornhill, Seaforth Highlanders

Richard Archibald Bulloch, The Black Watch

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike

Mike,

I found good information on both men as follows :-

THORNHILL, J.E. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 14.1.1916 ); born 7.4.1880; educated Cheltenham College; 2nd Lt., Sco. R., 6.12.1899; Transferred Seaforth Highlanders, 20.12.1899; Lt. Seaforth Highlanders 21.1.1901; Capt., Seaforth Highlanders, 24.2.1906; Adjt., T.F., 15.3.1913 to 8.2.1916; Major 1.9.1915; served South African War, 1900-2; Queen's Medal, 3 Clasps; King's Medal, 2 Clasps; Europe War;

Despatches. He died 2.10.1918.

London Gazette - 14 Jan 1916.

War Office, 14 Jan 1916. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned Honours and Rewards for distinguished service in the Field, with effect from 1 Jan 1916, inclusive. To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order ...............

THORNHILL, John Evelyn, Major, Seaforth Highlanders.

BULLOCH R.A. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ) born 19.12.1879; 2nd Lt., R. Highlanders 18.10.1899; Lt. 13.11.1900; Capt. 7.5.1906;

Major 1.9.1915; Bt. Lt.-Col. 3.6.1919; South African War, 1899-1902; Queen's Medal with 4 Clasps; King's Medal with 2 Clasps; Europe War; Despatches.

London Gazette - 1 Jan 1917.

War Office, 1 Jan 1917. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the Field, dated 1 Jan 1917, Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ...............

BULLOCH, Richard Archibald, Major, Royal Highlanders.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF

Many thanks !

One name to try a french officer who got the DSO : D' AUSSAGUEL DE LASBORDES. Marie Gustave Henri Chef de Bataillon 2/ 22nd R.I ( DSO June 1918 - KIA 10/18)

Florent

Florent,

I checked all the entries again to be sure, and unfortunately, this book does not cover Foreign soldiers, it only lists D.S.O.s for British and Dominion recipients.

Regards,

LF

Mike,

I found good information on both men as follows :-

THORNHILL, J.E. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 14.1.1916 ); born 7.4.1880; educated Cheltenham College; 2nd Lt., Sco. R., 6.12.1899; Transferred Seaforth Highlanders, 20.12.1899; Lt. Seaforth Highlanders 21.1.1901; Capt., Seaforth Highlanders, 24.2.1906; Adjt., T.F., 15.3.1913 to 8.2.1916; Major 1.9.1915; served South African War, 1900-2; Queen's Medal, 3 Clasps; King's Medal, 2 Clasps; Europe War;

Despatches. He died 2.10.1918.

London Gazette - 14 Jan 1916.

War Office, 14 Jan 1916. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned Honours and Rewards for distinguished service in the Field, with effect from 1 Jan 1916, inclusive. To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order ...............

THORNHILL, John Evelyn, Major, Seaforth Highlanders.

BULLOCH R.A. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ) born 19.12.1879; 2nd Lt., R. Highlanders 18.10.1899; Lt. 13.11.1900; Capt. 7.5.1906;

Major 1.9.1915; Bt. Lt.-Col. 3.6.1919; South African War, 1899-1902; Queen's Medal with 4 Clasps; King's Medal with 2 Clasps; Europe War; Despatches.

London Gazette - 1 Jan 1917.

War Office, 1 Jan 1917. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the Field, dated 1 Jan 1917, Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ...............

BULLOCH, Richard Archibald, Major, Royal Highlanders.

Regards,

LF

Thank you very much, LF.

Mike