Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books/articles on the Royal Engineers

bodie31

Anyone know of any good books or journal articles dealing with the Royal Engineers on the Western Front? I'm aware of a few works on tunneling companies and sappers, but none focusing on the engineers as a whole. I'm particularly interested in their role building/destroying bridges, constructing field works, etc. Any recommendations?

"My Sapper venture" by V.F Eberle is a good memoir by an officer in a R.E Field Company (48th Division).Published in 1973 by Pitman publishing .

Hello bodie,

There is a huge body of work relating to the Corps of Royal Engineers in all its forms in the Great War. From what you have stated, I suspect the following will be of most immediate interest to you:

Anon. 'The Work of the Royal Engineers in the European War - Bridging Operations - August to November 1918. Part I',
The Royal Engineers Journal,
6 (XXX) (December 1919), pp. 261-8.

——— 'The Work of the Royal Engineers in the European War - Bridging Operations - August to November 1918. Part II',
1 (XXXI) (January 1920), pp. 13-18.

——— 'The Work of the Royal Engineers in the European War - Temporary Bridges',
2 (XXXI) (February 1920), pp. 61-78.

Pritchard, H.L.
History of the Corps of Royal Engineers. Vol.5, The Home Front, France, Flanders and Italy in the First World War
(Chatham: Institution of Royal Engineers, 1952).

Thuillier, H.F. 'Engineers and the Army (lecture)',
Royal United Service Institution, Journal,
0 (70) (1925), pp. 656-76.

Cheers,

Simon

Thanks!

"History of the East Lancashire Royal Engineers" covers 42nd Divisional Signals, 427, 428 and 429 Field Cos RE and 66th Division 430, 431 and 432 Field Cos RE

• 7 years later...

I see that Pen & Sword are reprinting ' My Sapper Venture ' by V.F Eberle in February 2020 under the title ' With a Royal Engineers Field Company in France & Italy .