Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Change in service number?

CROONAERT

Could I ask if anyone knows the liklihood of two soldiers serving in the same platoon of the same battalion of the same regiment sharing the same name?

I ask this because someone has asked me if 302909 Pte.Frederick Crompton ("1"platoon, "A" Coy., 16/Manchesters), KIA 16.June 1917, could possibly be the same person as 6229 Pte.Frederick Crompton ("1" platoon, "A" Coy., 16/Manchesters), no further info.

Due to lack of any further information ,including MIC, I have been unable to answer this, so any help would be appreciated. (There's no reference on the SDGW listing of 302909 Crompton being "previously 6229")

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave

Doesnt it feel more like this is likely to be the same bloke? If it was a Fred Smith, then you might reckon on the co-incidence. You'll have spotted on SDGW that 302909 lived in the Bradford district of Manchester - perfect area for an original 1st City Pal. Isnt the 302909 service number also a bit "iffy" for a June 1917 Manchester KIA?

John

Thanks John.

I've convinced myself that 302909 and 6229 are the same person.I was just looking for someone to back me up on this.

Incidentally, 302909 is the number on his medals. Do you know if there was an official number change in this battalion at any time?

Dave.

Dave

Have come across service number changes when the individual was discharged 392(XXI) but then there re-enlisted about one year later into the same Regiment.

Regards Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

I suppose it's a possibility, but does anybody know the chances of him being posted back to exactly the same platoon of the same battalion?

The mystery continues.....

Dave ;)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Dave,

The chances have got to be very slim - a check on the medal index cards should confirm either way I would have thought ;)

Ian

It would ,indeed, Ian. Unfortunately,It'll be a while before I can get to the PRO (or NA, or "A", or whatever) to check these.

Anybody in the vicinity over the next couple of weeks........? (please!!!) :rolleyes:

Dave :)

Dave,

I am popping by Kew today and will do a search for the MIC.

Ian :D

Thanks Ian.

I greatly appreciate that.

Dave :D

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Dave,

I have the copies of the medal index cards for both these soldiers.

6229 Pte F CROMPTON Manch Regt - his front name was Frank and not Frederick. He later transferred to the Machine Gun Corps.

302909 Pte F CROMPTON Manch Regt - Was Frederick and had previously served as 7031.

They also had different medal entitlements.

If you would like the copies, please e-mail off forum.

Cheers,

Ian

:D

Thanks very much Ian.

Will do.

Dave.

We had in the AIF, men with the same name and same number in units.

To stop the confusion one would have a letter placed at the end of the number eg (2236A or 2236B) this lettering goes up the "C" that I have seen.

In the AIF numbers were allocated via a Regimental system in which each regt started from 1 to ? .

But if you transfered then more then one man would have the same number in the new unit. To make this worse Officers didn't have a number at all.

S.B