Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please and thank you are such lovely words

museumtom

I was off forum reading my emails and up popped this

CGM,

centurion has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Please and thank you are such lovely words".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------ QUOTE ----------

Yes, it is so. Give it a go and see.

:thumbsup:

-----------------------------

Not for me I get the same as Liz

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The topic can be found here: http://1914-1918.inv...view=getnewpost

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an

email for each reply made to this topic. Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.

This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

You can unsubscribe at any time here: http://1914-1918.inv...W9uZGVyLmNvLnVr

Centurion, you are not registered as following this thread. I am the only member.

CGM

Edited because the forum put this into the previous post and I removed it and put it into a new post...

Centurion, you are not registered as following this thread. I am the only member.

CGM

Edited because the forum put this into the previous post and I removed it and put it into a new post...

I don't have to be - I do occasionally look at other threads!

Excuse me but I am a stranger round here. Can you tell me the way to Amarillo, please?

I think you forget the one question pretty much guaranteed to get a response - "Is this the way to Amarillo?"

On a more relevent point, I try not to get peeved about lack of thanks, etc (as I am probably occasionally guilty of the offence). I do, however, occasionally get peeved about posts in the Soldiers sub-forum. That's the sub-forum headed by advice that, before posting, posters should check the "reseaching a soldier" pages on the Long Long Trail as it contains many answers. And they clearly havnt and leave it to helpful folk to go off trawling medal index cards, service papers, CWGC, SDGW, blah, blah, for them.

Oddly I find some of the older members most irritating, because they should jolly well know better.

There's no need to be ageist.

Or did you mean "some of the long-standing members....."?

John The Pedant

I would like to say thank you - I now consider myself educated on the sherry drinking thunga wearing Amarillos of Armadillo?

Has Attenborough every filmed a connolly of them in the wild?

My son told me a while ago he had seen his first iPhone 5 in the wild! What on earth is that all about? If he only saw one then presumably they are not pack species.

If you ring an iPhone number which is in the wild, and there are no other iPhones about, is there a ringtone?

Ron

PS not all wild animals are pack animals.

I would like to say thank you - I now consider myself educated on the sherry drinking thunga wearing Amarillos of Armadillo?

My son told me a while ago he had seen his first iPhone 5 in the wild! What on earth is that all about? If he only saw one then presumably they are not pack species.

But mine is a Samsung Golloxy ................ rather more primitive, nice purr when happy though.

Commonly known as a billy hive?

Look-up request please.

Is there a collective noun for smart phones (and that is probably a contradiction in terms) or iPhones? Assuming they are not a pack forming species but must congregate (possibly in downtown Armadillo) for breeding, quite frequently judging by their recent boom.

Thank you

How about "a twittering" ?

Ron

How about a "vibration" of mobile phones.

Please don't be cross with my reply.

Thank you for your time in reading it.

Ahh these are very good. A twittering: you could use the first vowel sound interchangeably with the other vowels, depending on how annoying they are.

A vibration, I had also considered this as many of them on these settings make a desolate mooing sound that has me looking around for approaching bovines!

Back to the body of the thread - I do agree that lack of manners does seem to be common nowadays and I think there is no excuse for this. Saying "thank you" comes easy to some people and not so easy to others but if someone has a question and a member, out of the kindness of his/her heart, takes time to research and give an answer, it is downright rude not to say "thank you". As has been said, a lot of members joined the forum knowing nothing, and the best way to learn is to politely ask and politely say thanks.

I for one have been extremely grateful for the vast amount of knowledge shared on this forum by people much more knowledgeable than myself. Thank you all again.

Anne

Yes I also consider myself very lucky to be a GWF member, and very grateful for all the help I get. I also think that the Moderators and all the people who work behind the scenes as it were to ensure that the GWF functions so well deserve far more thanks.

I for one have been extremely grateful for the vast amount of knowledge shared on this forum by people much more knowledgeable than myself. Thank you all again.

Anne

#43 & #44

I agree that manners cost nothing and a please and a thank you will get you a long way. I am, compared to many, a newcomer on the site or at least consider myself so after only a couple of years. I still feel as though I am feeling my way around and although I say please/thank you, sometimes I have felt as though I am treading on eggshells. Perhaps it would be good for newcomers to receive a crib-sheet on Forum etiquette via email when their account is activated and I don't know whether it would be achievable or not from an admin perspective.

It might be able to cover things such as courtesy, manners, using the search facilities, posting in the correct areas. If long standing members were canvassed on their gripes, I think many would feel that these are areas that are high on their list. Perhaps something on etequette if not emailed then posted on the Forum might be just as effective. PDFs help sheets to 'get you started'

It is obviously something that people feel strongly about.

Cheers

... Perhaps something on etequette if not emailed then posted on the Forum might be just as effective. PDFs help sheets to 'get you started'. It is obviously something that people feel strongly about."

Cheers

At least one mod recognises that some new members can't be bother to read the existing guidance and they certainly won't be bothered to download a PDF sheet and wade through it. On the matter of etiquette, the most irritating recent breach was an exchange of what passed for wit by established members in the middle of a serious (and sensitive) thread. Perhaps this is what prompted the original poster to try to start a similar thread.

Moonraker

Sometimes posts are so filled with pomposity and self self esteem that others feel driven to pri ck the bubble - what I would call Augustus Carp posts.

Sorry but I didn't find the hints and tips all that helpful when I started and I don't find them that helpful now either. That is possibly because they are fragmented and because I had no previous experience of using a site like this. Not everyone is too lazy/ill mannered to download a PDF read it and refer to it occasionally. Bringing it all together into a single PDF with a contents page I think would be helpful.

I started a thread on something and was told quite politely that this was already being addressed somewhere else and not to start something new when someone was also asking similar questions on a relative - point taken. I have since posted as advised asking a question on someone else's thread and a remark made to someone else but obviously directed at me along the lines: it looks like your thread is being hi-jacked. I apologised and pointed out that I had only posted because I had a similar curiosity pertaining to a relative.

So which is it? Where does it say that in the help section? Hints and tips? There is obviously some sort of etiquette involved which I am presumably supposed to automatically know. Perhaps something about posting on the threads of others and when it is appropriate to start something yourself would help. For what it's worth, I would welcome someone asking questions on a topic I had started it wouldn't bother me but it obviously bothers others.

Incidentally, I have observed many very sensitive subjects wandering off and down the sarcasm/humour trail and on occasion erupting into what I can only describe as a bun-fights and they invariably end up back on track. If it helps diffuse or lighten the mood I don't see the crime when it degenerates into personal mud-slinging then that isn't appropriate but that happens too.

Hello Seaforths

I hadn't previously ever looked at the Hints and Tips page for new members, but I can see why the page to which you're taken is rather perplexing. Faced with that rather bald list of headers, I wouldn't have known where to start, either. I think that page could be better designed, but once you get into The Long, Long Trail, the quality of information about how to research a soldier is very good. Moreover, it's well written and lucid. I have never wanted to research a soldier, so I can't speak from experience of doing it. I would have welcomed something like a hyperlinked flowchart or even a podcast, and then moving on to the LLT.

Try not to take comments personally; I know it's demoralising to feel someone has made a tart remark in your direction, but some people take themselves far too seriously. This is, for most, a hobby and anyone doing proper academic research wouldn't be basing it on an internet forum where opinions are rarely tested, referenced or peer-reviewed. I haven't looked for the thread you mention, but maybe you could try feeling the water with a little preface along the lines of asking whether anyone minds if you ask this [question] because it seems to be related.

My personal view is that I think a guide on how to use the forum would be useful, but I would feel affronted if someone told me how to behave on it. Once someone starts to try setting out detailed rules about behaviour (or anything else), things are left out. Most people are perfectly nice to each other. Sometimes even the most pleasant people have a lot going on and their normal patience runs short. You soon get a feel for the house-style of interaction - and for people whose posts you would rather not read (and block them so you don't have to!)

Gwyn

When all is said and done (and it probably hasn't been yet), when compared with other websites this is still a very pleasant and well-run forum with mostly sensible and helpful members.

Moonraker