Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roboman

Attachments_2012_11_27.zipMy Grandfather was 1177 Private William Cuthbert Boud of the 4th Bn Essex Regiment who had previously served in the South African Campaign with the 1st Bn. Royal Fusiliers. He was a Bandsman and therefore a stretcher bearer during action. On the 22nd August 1915 he was killed by a sniper whilst coming out of his dugout to bring back a wounded comrade.

An article in an Ilford Newspaper relates the following: "Burial of a Bandsman" " Poor Billy Boud was buried the same night - it was very touching. We buried him on the hillside right over the sea. It was a lovely moonlight night, and one of our Cooks said a few words at the graveside, so we did the best for poor Billy. I must say this is a very wild country. It is all high hills, rocks, high boulders and bushes - so you can tell what a job we have to bring the wounded in, and we do this at night. Every place we move to we have to dig ourselves in the ground to protect ourselves from shellfire."

My grandmother was written to by a Band Sergeant C (G?) Fry of 86 B Company 1/4 Essex Regiment. 161 Bridgade 54 Division. M.E. Force. He informed her that "Billy bore no pain and he passed away within 8 minutes"

My grandfather's last letter to his wife was dated August 4th 1915 when he stated he had been 15 days on the water. He concluded by saying 'We had all our intruments taken away when we got orders to move'.

If anyone reading this can add to the background of the Bandsmen and their role in Gallipoli or anything of interest re the above I would be most appreciative.

I have some photos of the Band etc which I will try and download when I learn how to reduce the size.

Dear Jonathan

Many thanks for the link. It all helps to build a mental picture of what life was like. Thanks for taking the trouble.

Best wishes

Roger B

Attachments_2012_11_27.zipMy Grandfather was 1177 Private William Cuthbert Boud of the 4th Bn Essex Regiment who had previously served in the South African Campaign with the 1st Bn. Royal Fusiliers. He was a Bandsman and therefore a stretcher bearer during action. On the 22nd August 1915 he was killed by a sniper whilst coming out of his dugout to bring back a wounded comrade.

An article in an Ilford Newspaper relates the following: "Burial of a Bandsman" " Poor Billy Boud was buried the same night - it was very touching. We buried him on the hillside right over the sea. It was a lovely moonlight night, and one of our Cooks said a few words at the graveside, so we did the best for poor Billy. I must say this is a very wild country. It is all high hills, rocks, high boulders and bushes - so you can tell what a job we have to bring the wounded in, and we do this at night. Every place we move to we have to dig ourselves in the ground to protect ourselves from shellfire."

My grandmother was written to by a Band Sergeant C (G?) Fry of 86 B Company 1/4 Essex Regiment. 161 Bridgade 54 Division. M.E. Force. He informed her that "Billy bore no pain and he passed away within 8 minutes"

My grandfather's last letter to his wife was dated August 4th 1915 when he stated he had been 15 days on the water. He concluded by saying 'We had all our intruments taken away when we got orders to move'.

If anyone reading this can add to the background of the Bandsmen and their role in Gallipoli or anything of interest re the above I would be most appreciative.

I have some photos of the Band etc which I will try and download when I learn how to reduce the size.

Here is the transcribed diary(see below). You might also try and secure a copy of Vol V of the Essex Units in the War 1914-1919 - Vol V covers the Essex Territorial Infantry Bde - 4th, 5th, 6th 7th and 8th Bns TF and is very detailed. There are many pages of detail on the actions of the 1/4th Bn Essex Regt TF. In the infantry battalions of the day, bandsmen doubled up as stretcher bearers which is entirely consistent with the anecdotal evidence that you have. The full War Diary is available online from the National Archives. There is also a republication of 'With the 1/5th Essex (TF) in the East' and while not the exact Bn, their experience will be very close to that of the 1/4th Bn. The Essex Regt kept fairly good records and their published history is one of the better histories of the period. Regards MG

P.S. There is a long thread on the GWF ref Lone Tree Gully - the location of the 1/4th Essex when your forbear was killed.

War Diary: 1/4th Bn Essex Regt (TF) 2nd-22nd August 1915.

2nd Aug 15:
AT SEA – Course Northerly. Strong wind, sea rough some pitching & rolling of ship caused some men to be ill. Passing the Island of SCARPANTO our portside and then Island of RHODES on starboard side, after that various islands.

3rd Aug 15: LEMNOS – 04:00 – A small French Warship hailed us, later (05:00) a large French Warship hailed us. Got into the outer Harbour of LEMNOS at 10:00 and made for main harbour where we anchored at Noon. OC Troops accompanied ship’s master to the S.S. ARAGON on which are the Gen Officer Commanding lines of communications and staff. Was informed the Bn would remain on board till further orders.

4th Aug 15: LEMNOS – Several transports left during the night with troops for the front. Information received from the DAQMG’s office that the Bn would await the arrival of the rest of the 54th DIV:- the Stores (of which the steamer had been diverted to LEMNOS) would be unloaded, and if possible the mules & horses would be landed. One Coy rowed ashore in the ship’s boats and bathed.

5th Aug 15 LEMNOS – The S.S. MARQUETTE moved to new mooring alongside the S.S. NITONIAN on board of which are a body of the ROYAL NAVAL AIR SERVICE.

6th Aug 15: LEMNOS – The S.S. AQUITANIA with HQ of 54th DIV on board came into harbour. Two Coys sent ashore in boats to bathe & march.

7th Aug 15 LEMNOS – Orders received from DAQMG on board S.S. ARAGON for Bn to commence disembarking at 09:00 tomorrow.

8th Aug 15: LEMNOS – Orders as to disembarking revised. Disembarking commenced at 14:15 as per instructions from DAQMG S.S. ARAGON. 350 men with proportion of Officers left on board S.S. MARQUETTE for fatigue work on S.S. MINNETONKA.

9th Aug 15: LEMNOS – Horses, mules & balance of stores landed from S.S. MARQUETTE:- fatigue party (as notes on 8th August 1915) transferred to S.S. MINNETONKA. Fatigue party 50 men furnished to assist Hospital accommodation for wounded. Landed at WEST MUDROS – near camp of Bn – Private W. PEARCE died yesterday of heart failure following on dysentery, was taken to AUSTRALIAN PIER for burial.

9th Aug 15 Contd.... LEMNOS - 01:00 – Orders received from GHQ through 54th DIV to send Orderly Room Sgt & Nominal Roll of Officers to base at ALEXANDRIA (already done on 4th August).

12th Aug 15: LEMNOS – 07:00 – Orders received from AQMG to embark HQ of 2 Coys at 16:00. 2 Coys to follow tomorrow total strength to be 700 as far as possible leaving small party to act with DIV Base. Detailed orders revised. 2 Coys (B&D) with CO & Adjt left MUDROS at 14:15 on a paddle steamer (S.S. BARRY) for SUVLA BAY GALLIPOLI PENINSULA arrived and landed at C BEACH about 22:30.

13th Aug 15 SUVLA BAY – 03:30 – Marched across the NECK at 03:30 and were shown to a place where the men dug shelters in the sand. Position cramped. In evening the 2 Coys were again moved to a hill to the South (a continuation of LALA BABA the Artillery Observation Post). 200 men furnished a fatigue working party for the CRE from 20:00 to Midnight. The Turks shelled the war ships in the Bay in the morning resulting in the ships changing position. Operations in progress during the day against the village of ANAFARTA SAGIR – due East of LALA BABA operations continued during the night and early morning. A & D Coys under Maj TAYLOR left MUDROS at 14:15 on S.S. QUEEN VICTORIA, arrived at SUVLA BAY at 19:00. Beach being shelled so did not land till 22:30.

14th Aug 15: SUVLA BAY - 19:30 – Reported arrived to 54th DIV HQ. Left for Res trenches at 19:30 (A&D Coy’s)

15th Aug 15:
SUVLA BAY - Took up position on NORFOLK HILL in support of firing line. Brig Gen then came up & looked at our positions. A general advance towards ANAFARTA had been made & the DIV on our left flank together with the 162nd Bde advanced on our left. Brig Gen, BRUNKER DSO arrived & watched progress of action from our observation post. At 16:00 Col HAWKINS arrived with HQ & C & B Coys. Maj TAYLOR handed over command of NORFOLK HILL. Killed Nil, wounded 4.

16th Aug 15: SUVLA BAY – Still occupying NORFOLK HILL. 4th NORTHANTS REG arrived with Col CURTIS but were withdrawn except one Coy. Capt J.C. GOWAN, Lt E.J. HICKMAN were killed. Lt MACADAM & Lt DALE wounded. Other ranks killed 3, wounded 14.

17th Aug 15 SUVLA BAY – Bn moved at midnight to a position on the Southern slope of KIRETCH TEPE SIRT & took up a line which they entrenched. Capt GILSON RAMC went into hospital.

18th Aug 15: SUVLA BAY – Bn was ordered to advance to straighten line between the right flank of the 1/5th ESSEX & the left flank of the 162nd BDE. It was not expected that the front was held by enemy in any great strength. A & D Coys were detailed as firing line. B & C in support. Advanced at 17:30. CO was directing right flank. Maj TAYLOR left flank. The advance developed with a smart action. The firing line advanced in 8 lines of Pls in snake formation ridges of lines running at right angles to position made connection impossible. Bde had promised if possible to send an Australian guide to mark spot where left flank of Bn was to rest. This flank reported to Maj TAYLOR. During the progress of the advance I was ordered by him to lead the left Pl to where their left flank was to rest.When he had done so he left to place the Pl on the right. The left Pl of D Coy was suddenly opened fire up on from right front. Capt TAYLOR who was in command of D Coy was killed. Col HAWKINS, 2 Lt NALDRETT wounded. Other ranks killed 9. On Col HAWKINS being wounded Maj TAYLOR assumed command of Bn and ordered C Coy up in support. A, C & D Coys were then ordered to entrench on the ground gained. Adj sick & went to Base.

19th AUg 15: SUVLA BAY – Commenced to consolidate position. Linked up with 10th LONDON REG on right.

20th Aug 15: SUVLA BAY – Continued consolidating position. Entrenched Bn HQ in the LONE TREE GULLY. Connected up with firing line & Bde by telephone. Received following telegram from CORPS Commander 19 15 TO 1/4th ESSEX. Following from CORPS begins AAA CORPS Commander is very pleased at your enterprise described in your 9 337 and hopes your new line will be extended & consolidated by dawn tomorrow. Ends AAA. Communicate CORPS Commanders pleasure to Units AAA. Enterprise referred to is 4th ESSEX advance last evening. From B & E Maj 161st BDE. Killed 9 wounded 32. Capt CHURCH, Lt BATSFORD Other ranks 1 died of wounds. Buried Capt TAYLOR at LONE TREE HILL. Capt WELLS sick.

21st Aug 15: SUVLA BAY – Redistributed Officers owing to casualties. A Coy Capt MANTRY, 2/4 NORTHANTS C Coy Capt MORGAN OWEN, Lt F.C. DONNER, 2 Lt LOCKWOOD, D Coy Capt CALTHROP, Lt ATTWOOD, Capt 2 Lt CHITTY Assistant Adj & Commander Capt CHURCH wounded.

22nd Aug 15: SUVLA BAY – Handed over half of line marched to 29th DIV (1st ESSEX REG). Removed Bn to top of KIRETCH TEPE SIRT (RAZOR BACK) sent B Coy on to left flank of line. Casualties 1 killed, 1 wounded.

Dear Martin

Many thanks for the most interesting information. It could be that the final paragraph dated 22nd August 1915 which refers to '1 killed'. This could be my Grandfather. This was the date he died and he was in 86 B Company 1/4 Essex Regt. So Razor Back could be the place he died and was buried. The account says 'a hillside right over the sea'.

Puts a 'tingle' down my back!

Not having much luck in tracking down Vol 5 of the Essex Regt at War 1914-1919 - most other volumns but not 5

If only I could find the relatives of Band Sergeant G Fry. They could be interested in a couple of his letters.

Regards

Roger B

... and some more here....

You are correct, I think with the signature being "G" (George) Fry.Corporal SERVICE NUMBER: 86 (and presumably in "B" Company) who served in the Balkans, entering Theatre (Gallipoli) on 12th August. The Star is therefore the 1914-15 Star (NOT '14 Star as I mistakenly said in the 4th Essex thread) as well as British War and Victory medals.

George was subsequently seriously wounded and was discharged from the Army with a Silver War Badge, on 6th April 1916.

I'd guess from his early number that he also probably served in South Africa but I can't pin him down, not in Royal Fusiliers anyway..

There should be a Pension Record for SWB recipients, but a majority have since been lost or destroyed and the closest I could find was a Georger Frederick Fry but he was discharged in 1919 due to rheumatism, although he seems to have been born about the same time as William. I can't trace any likely candidate with DoB about 1882 who died fairly soon after WW1 so perhaps he struggled on to a good age...

Hi Kevin

Many thanks for the information which all helps to put pieces in the 'jigsaw'. Will keep rying to see if their are any living relatives of 'George'.

Have William Cuthbert's record of medals and it looks like he had the British War and Victory medals but there is just a 'x' against the Star.

Unfortunately don't klnow what happened to these medals.

Regards

Roger B

The "x" against the 1914-15 Star refers to the cross reference at the top of the Card to BoNd, but means he was entitled to all three (well being killed in 1915 is pretty strong proof he was in a Theatre of War!!) : ) :whistle:

Just pleased to be able to make some semi intelligent comments to help flesh out his story.

No more, no less than most others here, just my chance to help on this occasion.

I do hope you find this site worth revisiting, there's a wealth of info, useful, arcane, heart warming and saddening, sometimes all in one thread!

• 5 years later...

Hi, I'm new to the site and to military history so please bear with me. 

My Grandad Stanleigh Hurry served in 1st/4 Essex Regiment - Private 1385, Territorial 1st/7 Essex Regiment - 302473 and 1st/7 Essex Regiment  - 7187.  He also was a musician and bandsman playing lots of instruments.  I have a photo of him with his clarinet and I'm pretty sure that's him on your band photo, standing behind the drum.  What do you think? 

I didn't know him and he left the family when my Dad was young so we know very little about him.  Apparently he was a good boxer and fought for the Regiment.  Does anyone know how I could find out more about him other than the above information  - many thanks for all the above - fascinating! 5a833a11d6255_HurryStanleigh.JPG.7c50b9390353c7cf1ba4ea205283781f.JPG

• Admin
22 hours ago, Kate12 said:

Hi, I'm new to the site and to military history so please bear with me. 

My Grandad Stanleigh Hurry served in 1st/4 Essex Regiment - Private 1385, Territorial 1st/7 Essex Regiment - 302473 and 1st/7 Essex Regiment  - 7187.  He also was a musician and bandsman playing lots of instruments.  I have a photo of him with his clarinet and I'm pretty sure that's him on your band photo, standing behind the drum.  What do you think? 

I didn't know him and he left the family when my Dad was young so we know very little about him.  Apparently he was a good boxer and fought for the Regiment.  Does anyone know how I could find out more about him other than the above information  - many thanks for all the above - fascinating! 

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the originator of this thread to whom I think your question is directed, has not visited since December 2012.  As you are probably aware the medal records show he entered theatre 15 August 1915, so allowing for transcription errors probably embarked with main body but was in the first reinforcement.  Since this thread began the war diaries have been digitised and are available on Ancestry if you subscribe.

His service record does not appear to have survived.  Though it appears he remained in the Middle East throughout the war.

There is lots of information on researching a soldier on the parent site The Long Long Trail http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk

Ken