Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Marcus Valentine Edinger - which regiment and battalion?

aradgick

According to SDGW, Walter Marcus Valentine Edinger was in the 1st Battn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment, attd. 4th Battn. and KIA 23rd August 1918.

CWGC gives the same details. He is buried in Adanac Military Cemetery, Miraumont

His MIC also confirms the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

But didn't the 4th Battn. remain in the UK throughout the war?

I've checked the War Diary for the 1st Battn. and he is not listed among the Officers at either the start or end of August 1918, and there are no casualties listed around 23rd August.

Any ideas please?

Andrewr

AR

He seems possibly to have a service file if he is an Officer. Wedinger WO339/106377.

I may get time to look at it shortly.

Sotonmate

Hi

Probate records confirm Warwickshire Regt. and date of death as 23.8.18. although name is Valentine Walter Marcus. Address for mother Augusta 19 Cadogan Square, Middlesex. Left £384.10s.9d. He was born 1894.His parents were born in Germany.

Regards Barry

According to SDGW, Walter Marcus Valentine Edinger was in the 1st Battn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment, attd. 4th Battn. and KIA 23rd August 1918.

CWGC gives the same details. He is buried in Adanac Military Cemetery, Miraumont

His MIC also confirms the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

But didn't the 4th Battn. remain in the UK throughout the war?

I've checked the War Diary for the 1st Battn. and he is not listed among the Officers at either the start or end of August 1918, and there are no casualties listed around 23rd August.

Any ideas please?

Andrewr

Hi Andrew,

According to the information which I have to hand, W.M.V.Edinger was commissioned into the Middlesex Yeomanry on 2/9/14 but resigned his commission in 1916 and joined the Artist's Rifles. He received a commission from the Artist's Rifles into the Royal Warwickshire Regt in Dec.1917(L.G. 12/1/18) and was attached? to the 14th Bn of this regiment, with which Bn he appears to have been serving when he was Kia 23/8/18.

This information is drawn from various places and there does appear to be some degree of discrepency between these sources. I hope that this is useful albeit slightly dubious as to it's accuracy. Perhaps you should check the W.D. for the 14th Bn. Could you let me know what you find, as I would be interested to know myself!

Robert

OK, thanks for this Robert. I'm unlikely to be looking at this for some time as I'm currently working on the Bracknell area men. Edinger was at Wellington college, which is probably the project I will move on to afterwards.

Andrewr

andrew

I have pages from this Officer's service record (WO339/106377). If you want them PM me your e-mail address.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thanks for the service record. It has sorted out the battalion - 14th, not the 4th. Also some useful background information as he obviously had problems due to his German parentage.

Andrewr