Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Trawler Minesweepers

Guest Jimmypat

Hello everyone,

I am doing some family research and am looking for a photograph or information on a Trawler/Minesweeper

"Stewart Boyle GW 27" it was built in 1911. My Grandfather, John Sumner (who died before I was born) served on board as a Deck Hand. Any information would help.

BTW. I served on a Tank Landing Craft "LCT 4061" doing my National Service in 1958.

STEWART BOYLE (Admiralty No.517) was hired by the Admiralty in September 1914 to replace the trawler THISTLE (same number). She was brought into naval service by HMS COLUMBINE at Rosyth, moved to HMS ST GEORGE (still on the Forth) for a short period and spent the war, from November 1914, based on HMS ISLAND PRINCE, the Auxiliary Patrol parent ship at North Shields.

She was built by Alexander Hall & Sons (Yard No.472) in Aberdeen in 1911 for John S. Boyle, Glasgow. She was launched on 23.11.11 and completed in 12.11. She was returned to her owners in 1920 and scrapped in 1955.

There is a photo of her crew onboard the ship at : http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_a/0_around_edinburgh_-_granton_harbour_moe33_trawler_stewart_boyle.htm

Pretty amazing replies already!

I've got a short list of skippers and a couple of deck hands awaiting a trip to Kew/Yeovilton. Any reasonably priced researchers hereabouts?

A wonderful crew photo. It must be the pre-WW1 fishing crew, some of whom may well have enrolled in the RNR and taken her forward to naval service in 1914. Her RNR Skipper was Peter HENDERSON.

"I've got a short list of skippers and a couple of deck hands awaiting a trip to Kew/Yeovilton. Any reasonably priced researchers hereabouts?" Mannimal, have you tried the FAA Museum postal service for RNR records?

A wonderful crew photo. It must be the pre-WW1 fishing crew, some of whom may well have enrolled in the RNR and taken her forward to naval service in 1914. Her RNR Skipper was Peter HENDERSON.

"I've got a short list of skippers and a couple of deck hands awaiting a trip to Kew/Yeovilton. Any reasonably priced researchers hereabouts?" Mannimal, have you tried the FAA Museum postal service for RNR records?

Thanks for your reply.

I can't say I've heard of the FAA 'postal service' and was only aware that they held the RNR records... and in better condition than Kew apparently. Maybe I should give them a ring on Monday to find out about costs etc. as I only really want to know which boats they served on and when. I guess they have the RNVR/RNMBR records too?

Thanks again Horatio. I'll give them a call on Monday to find out about costs.

I was looking at a set of 'Navy List' CDs listed on Ebay and was wondering what information they might hold about the RNR T. I guess a skipper would be classed as an officer so should get a mention and there should be a list of all trawlers and drifters commissioned? I've had little service information off any of the FMPast etc.only a medal entitlement but can eventually blunder my way through to place of birth etc. by deduction.

I'm pretty new to research so I'm going to have to accept a steep learning curve!

Some WW1 Navy Lists have a section which lists "Auxiliary Small Craft" and their officers, including RNR Skippers. The information is, obviously, only good for the effective date of the List. But be aware - not all WW1 Navy Lists have lists of HM Ships, possibly a security measure. You need to check the contents carefully.

The FAA Museum's RNR indexes record place and date of birth.

Thank you all very much.

I have seen the photograph of the trawler crew, I still can't find a copy of the actual trawler.

I sent for a copy of my grandfathers records of service to Fleet Air Arm Museum Yeovilton. Somerset.

info@fleetairarm.com. www.fleetairarm.com

A very kind gentleman Roy Swales, Curatorial Volunteer,very promptly posted me a full copy of my grandfather's records, the cost was £20.00

Jim Wright