Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oosthoek Wood

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

I am trying to locate Oosthoek Wood. Could someone tell me if I am right that it is shown on the modern Belgian 1:25,000 map, sheet 28/1-2 and is just north of the road between Poperinge and Vlamertinge at grid reference 485-5635.

Thanks.

Simon Bull

Simon.

I've just cross referenced the map that you are using ( I think you are using - mine is the same sheet number, but is 1:20,000 scale)with a trench map of the area from 1918. As you may know,this is the area of "Dirty Bucket Camp" and "Dirty Bucket Sidings".

No "Oosthoek Wood" is mentioned on my 1918 map,but the wood that you have located is similar in shape to the unnamed one from 1918 and is in the "Ooosthoek" area.(It also spreads into the grid square immediately North and West of the one you mention). I would say that you are quite correct, and this is "Oosthoek Wood".

Dave

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks Dave,

I had come to roughly the same conclusion and really wanted a second opinion, or to see if anyone had a map which named the Wood. However, I had not made the connection with Dirty Bucket.

My interest is because the Third Brigade Tank Crops were positioned there just before Third Ypres.

Regards

Simon Bull