Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oliver Ridsdale Baldwin, Irish Guards

seaforth78

I was extremely fortunate to acquire this officer's sword recently and I see that he was gazetted into the Irish Guards on 20th July 1917.

Can someone tell me when he left the Guards and if continued to serve after the Great War?

He is of course, Stanley Baldwin's eldest son, later 2nd Earl Baldwin.

Thank you

Seaforth

post-88538-0-31045900-1353229566_thumb.j

Hi Seaforth,

He is shown in the Feb 1919 A.L. under Special Reserve att'd 1st Bn Irish Guards. He does not appear in the May 1922 A.L.

Hope this helps.

Robert

PS Nice sword :thumbsup:

Robert, Harry, thanks a lot on digging this out for me. It seems that he didn't make it past Lt.

He was the 2nd cousin of Rudyard Kipling; (Stanley Baldwin was Kipling's 1st cousin) I could see why he followed Kipling's son in the IG.

This sword was sold out of the 4th Earl Baldwin's family recently.

As the son of Rudyard Kipling's first cousin, ORB was Rudyard's first cousin once removed. It was ORB and Rudyard's son who were second cousins.

ORB went into politics, becoming a MP, but in the Labour interest - a kind of reverse exchange for Clement Attlee's grandson taking the Conservative whip in the House of Lords.

Yesterday I was able to buy a biography of Oliver Baldwin. It talks in some detail about him joining the IG after his 2nd cousin's John Kipling's death and despite that episode how John's father encouraged Baldwin to join the Regiment. The book is entitled: "Oliver Baldwin; A Life of Dissent" by CJ Walker.

• 4 weeks later...

Could anyone kindly locate a photograph of Oliver Baldwin while with the Irish Guards in 1917-18 please? His autography, while mentioning his Great War service, plenty of photographs to boot, strangely has none.

Otherwise, I'll note a letter ot RHQ if no one has a group officers' photograph.

Thank you all.

Seaforth