Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wharncliffe War Hospital, Sheffield

deano

Hello,

looking to compile a list of fomer Patients of said hospital, I have the names from the Roll of Honour that died there, also all the names that appear on the forum through using the search. Was wondering if, when your all trawling through Pension/Service records and see 'Wharncliffe War Hospital' pass on the details here of who it refers to please ?

Massive task, but someones got to do it !

The admission books no longer survive.

regards

Dean.

Hi, Chris.

I'm worried in case links to Ancestry or FMP may be frowned on by the companies involved.

Or can they only be seen if you have a membership already?

Kath.

Don't worry Kath just checked and the links don't lead to the document if you're not a member just a holding page for subscription.

Whew,,,,,,,,,,

Thank you, saw119.

:)

Kath.

Dean, I've pm'd you.

I'm getting a few from British Newspapers.

Kath.

Chris, I have Frank with your kind permission quite a few months ago. Tried PM'ing you the other day but yer PM folders full !! Would like the basic details for John Booth, 1st Camerons if that's ok please from the LLT ?

regards

Dean.

• 4 years later...
On 18/11/2012 at 00:12, deano said:

Hello,

looking to compile a list of fomer Patients of said hospital, I have the names from the Roll of Honour that died there, also all the names that appear on the forum through using the search. Was wondering if, when your all trawling through Pension/Service records and see 'Wharncliffe War Hospital' pass on the details here of who it refers to please ?

Massive task, but someones got to do it !

The admission books no longer survive.

regards

Dean.

Hello Dean

Are you still able to lookup former Patients? I am interested in finding out about my granddad - Frederick Henry Golding - Are you able to help?

thank you

Jayne

Hello Jayne, I don't have Frederick in any of my database's I'm afraid. Was he at Wharncliffe for sure ?

Dean.

• 1 year later...

Hello Dean, A bit late replying to your post - sorry, but yes, I believe my granddad was at Wharncliffe, We have a treatment card that names the hospital as his place of discharge. Would you like any other details?We would be very interested to know how long he was at Wharncliffe and why he was there.

Jayne

Jayneedc5f227-b298-4e8f-b3ff-1c268df06a67.jpg.dc55bd6193179b83a903f13b574c6f31.jpg

Walter Scott, invalided home end of 1915 with a poisoned leg, to Wharncliffe War Hosp, Sheffield 5 Nov – visit slip Miss Jessie K. Mitchell 11 Nov 15. Furlough 30.12.15-8.1.16 Edinburgh – return Sheffield.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/N13642891

• 3 months later...

My great-grandfather, Walter Mason (T977, Army Service Corps, Driver) was in Wharncliffe for treatment with trench nephritis in early 1916. As far as I can tell, he served with the 50thDivisional (Northumbrian) Train, 467 Company. 

The pension records that we have for him says he was admitted to Etaples in France on 10thJanuary 1916 for acute nephritis, and was there for 2 months. He was then invalided to Wharncliffe for a further 6 weeks. He recovered sufficiently to be sent back to his unit, which was in the Ypres area at the time. 

His disabilities eventually included ‘disordered activity of the heart (DAH)’ for which he was given C1 status in early 1917, and then to class P Army Reserve. He was finally discharged from military service in September 1917. His nephritis was never fully cured, and he died from it in 1938.

Edited by KernelPanic
update

11995 Private George Leonard ROCHESTER was serving with 13th (Service) East Surrey Regiment (Wandsworth) when he was gassed and wounded in the back by explosion near Ervillers, France, First Battle of Bapaume, 24th March 1918.

He was sent at first to Canadian No.7 Hospital, then Wharncliffe War Hospital, Sheffield.

Attached: relevant page from service documents (Army Form Z.22, Statement as to Disability).

Mark

Pte Rochester.jpg

Edited by MAW

• 4 years later...

I have these two photographs which came together with a third post card, the first two were, I believe, taken at he Wharncliffe War Hospital. The third post card was sent to Sister Macpherson at Wharncliffe Hospital. I believe that she was Sister Jean Macpherson.

P1050521.JPG

P1050522.JPG

P1050518.JPG

The third photograph was taken in Park Road which leads towards Uxbridge Common. The sender, whose name is illegible is presumably one of the two soldiers in the other photograph either side of the nurse.

P1050491.JPG

P1050492.JPG

P1050524.JPG

P1050525.JPG

P1050526.JPG

Private Hector Hodgson Reg No 37765 14th Royal Welch Fusiliers transferred to Labour Corps Reg No 398657. Died of sickness at Wharncliffe War Hospital 24th August 1920. Buried at City Road Cemetery Sheffield Section CC1.3. "C" 18605.

Service record shows joined as Private in  14th South Wales Borderers on 01/07/1916, transferred to the Labour Corps on 02/10/2017

Released from detention in February 1920 after being convicted of being absent without leave on two occasions, using violence towards a superior officer and conduct  to the prejudice of good order and Military discipline. Sentenced to 6 months with hard labour and confined to Wandsworth Prison.

Good Evening,

I have undertaken a project to research the names listed on our church memorial plaques for those of the congregational who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars. I am currently researching the following name, of which I have found out was a patient at the Wharncliffe War Hospital.

Andrew Ness. Born 6th August 1886 Pathhead, Dysart Kirkcaldy Fife. He originally joined the Highland Cycle Battalion at the beginning of the Great War, however he was transferred to the 2/7 Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment(Private. 267281 ). Andrew received a gunshot wound (GSW) to his right buttock on the 4th December 1917 while in the trenches in France. He was admitted to the Wharncliffe War Hospital on 10th December 1917 and discharged on 29th January 1918, re-joining his battalion in France six months later after sick leave and rehabilitation locally to home (Kirkcaldy, Fife).

Andrew was Killed in Action during an offensive to take the town of Merville, which is 5km to the east of Lambre on the 20th August 1918 and is buried in the Tannay Commonwealth War Graves (CWGC) Cemetery in Thiennes.

I hope this information will be of value to you developing your website.

Regards

Don