Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Leicester soldier - local help needed

Chris_Baker

Pte 14450 William Henry Underwood was gazetted with the MM in August 1919 for something he did while serving with 25 Company of the Labour Corps. No service record, no unit war diary ... oh dear. If any of our friends in Leicester knows of any other information about this man and his brave act, I would be very grateful. He came from Sileby.

No need for medal index card, thanks.

Hello Chris,

I've only got him on the Sileby AVL at 45, Cossington Road, Sileby.

I've also sent an e mail out to a couple of chaps at The Loughborough Carillon Tower Museum, Sileby being just down the road, will let you know if anything comes back.

Regards.

Llew.

Nothing on your man at Loughborough I'm afraid, the only other option could be the local papers, so i'll keep my eye out for any mention.

Regards.

Llew.

The coventry archives have a ww1 index card so they can do a look up for local papers, would Leicester have this ? In Leicester I've looked through the local history section and found nothing off WW1 rolls etc

I'm afraid not, its just a matter of looking through, and with William being from Sileby he could appear in either the Leicester or Loughborough paper.

I have started listing Leicestershire Regiment men who get mentioned, but its going to be a long job, as you can probably appreciate

Regards.

Llew.

having gone through the Coventry Herald and Coventry graphic for WW1 and the Coventry Telegraph for ww2 i know what your doing. The WW2 papers would have been a bit easier had there not been three editions a day with different articles in each. Took about an hour a month to go through microfilche

The problem at Leics. is that they are all on film and not very clear and take a bit longer to work out, but I have now got a contact who as access to the Leicester Mercury archive which is much clearer.