Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youngest boy soldier aged 12 in WW1. Mystery finally solved!

Forton

Many thanks for the kind emails incl. Wilhelm and Susan. Thank you too, Sandie for posting the information on Ernest Quarless, this clearly needs further investigation. Eleven doesn't seem possible, but then I've learnt over the years not to rule out anything when it comes to the Great War. Thanks too Iperling for the info on the Menin Gate, As you say, there will be more on there whose age is not known or who were serving in the Salient at 15 but were killed a year or two later.

Richard

Amazing stories and those photographs are just heartbreaking. It seems unbelievable that nobody pulled these boys out, especially a 12 year old but my 12yr old nephew could pass for 16, and if they were turning a blind eye to the 16yr olds I guess he would've got in... I've put the book on my christmas list.

Amanda

Got my copy through the letterbox yesterday. Look forward to reading it.

Sean.

How frustrating! I went to the National Archives today to pull the Medal Roll for Sidney Lewis so that I could send his son a copy of the medal entry. Anyway, the reference on his Medal Index Card is MGG/102b4 Page 415, but try as I might I could not get the right Roll and neither could the helpful staff who could not work it out either as they searched on their new "Discovery" search facility. Going back to the old paper file did not work either. Should anyone going to the NA and think they can find it then I and, I am sure, Private Lewis' son would be very grateful.

Finally, Sean, Sandy and Amanda, I hope you enjoy the book.

Richard

• Admin

Richard

WO 329/1735 MGC/101b4 page 415 seems to be the correct roll. Possibly a transcription error by the clerk?

I'll be at NA on either Thursday or Tuesday and will have a look for you.

Glen

Hi Glen

Many thanks indeed. I have a feeling I may have looked at that one, but I'm not sure. It is a puzzle. When you look in 329/1 (the paper file), in the Victory and War Medal category there isn't even a MGG, although there is when you look for the 14/15 medal. All very strange.

All best

Richard

• Admin

Richard

Using the Catalogue rather than Discovery, MGG is the record for the Grenadier Guards ORs roll and that is only for the 14-15 Star. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=mgg&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=wo+329&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=0&image1.y=0. That is the only return on a search for MGG in WO 329.

If Sidney was MGC only then there is no section 102 in the MGC medal rolls but there is the one I linked to earlier.

Glen

Thank you, Glen

You did much better than I did. Was it a error on the Medal Roll, or was I just being dim?

Many thanks for finding it. I'll send on the images to his son.

Cheers

Richard

• Admin

Richard

It took me a while to find him by searching for "guards" and going through all the entries for them.

I'd like to add my appreciation for an excellent book which I'm reading to the moment. I enjoyed the story of the local boy being put up at the Crooked Billet.

Glen

Many thanks, Glen

So under which Medal Roll did you eventually find him and was it correct all along?

Many thanks too for my book on boy soldiers. You'll have to remind me about the crooked Billet story as I have a total blank and 'crooked bilet' isn't in the index at the back!

Richard

• Admin

Richard

He is under the Guards MG Regiment in WO 329/628. The page numbers aren't listed so it is pretty easy to overlook.

The Crooked Billet relates to Vic Cole and George Pulley from Bromley.

The story of Charles Henry Benjamin Whitehouse of 59 Bn AIF might interest you too. Too badly wounded at Fromelles on 19.7.16 he endured 2 and 1/2 months in hospital at Boulogne before succumbing to his wounds in late September and dying still 3 months short of his 17th birthday.

Glen

Glen

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Scalyback. I loved writing it!

Thanks for the new boy soldier, Glen. He has been noted. I wonder if he was born in the UK? I'll have a look.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Great book Richard, really enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Regards,

Sean.

Thank you, Sean. There are a few more stats on boy soldiers I'd like to work on in the future, it's just getting the courage to return to Ancestry and ploughing endlessly through records. I'm sure there are a number of 13 yr olds out there in the records and some great stories too.

All best and happy Christmas

Richard

Richard

Do you have James Weir born 25th January 1901 on your list ?

He arrived with the 7th Lancashire Fusiliers in Egypt September 1914 where his father Sergeant James Weir died from disease on 7th October 1914 and he eventually celebrated his 14th birthday. According to an account that he wrote for his family in the 1960s, he embarked for Gallipoli in April 1914. (The 1/7th Lancashires arrived off Cape Helles on 4th May).

I have James Weir junior's account of his time in the Lancashires including Gallipoli, which was sent to me by his niece. James eventually emigrated to Australia and his story appeared in Australian newspapers some years ago.

There are approx. 12 sides of a typewritten account; 8 sides are about his territorial army background and army experiences. He was then returned home after suffering from "dysentry" and was eventually discharged, being under age, on 23rd February 1917.

Thank you, Sean. There are a few more stats on boy soldiers I'd like to work on in the future, it's just getting the courage to return to Ancestry and ploughing endlessly through records. I'm sure there are a number of 13 yr olds out there in the records and some great stories too.

All best and happy Christmas

Richard

Richard, I am near completing the research on my local war memorial, approx. 14/15 month project, so I can fully appreciate 'Ancestry and ploughing'!!! Looks like you have a candidate for your next book already, keep up the good work, and Happy Christmas to you also.

Regards,

Sean.

Richard

Just some additional re.James Weir. His account of his time at Gallipoli highlights the problems that a young lad would encounter when at the front. It seems that although he looked older than his years he found shooting his rifle difficult especially as it hurt his shoulder. This eventually led to him being put to work with the transport section.

• 2 weeks later...