Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

104th Aero Squadron, USAS

quemerford

Does anyone have details of 104th Aero Squadron's movements whilst in the UK? From the very basic detail in the Maurer Maurer book, it seems that the unit formed at Kelly Field, Texas in 1917, departed for the UK in November 1917 and arrived at its new HQ at Winchester from 8th December. HQ then moved to Upavon (on 24th December) and Netheravon (on 24th March 1918).

The squadron appears to have done no basic flight training in the US, so I'm assuming this was done upon arrival in the UK (that's my first question).

Subsequently (again according to Maurer Maurer) Higher Instruction was undertaken at Salisbury (presumably Stonehenge or Old Sarum?), Andover and Yatesbury, using assets at those locations.

Finally, on 10th July 1918, the detached flights met at Winchester and prepared for movement to The Front. They reached Luxeuil-les-Bains on 8th August and became part of the V Corps Observation Group, equipped with Salmson 2 aircraft.

So my main question is: which specific Training Squadrons (or other) units hosted 104th Aero Squadron's personnel whilst in the UK?

Many thanks in advance.

Duncan

104th AERO SQUADRON USAAF

Base

To Flower Down, Winchester 8.12.1917. To Upavon 24.12.1917 with flights detached to Old Sarum, Andover and Yatesbury. To Netheravon 24.3.1918 with Upavon flight returning but remaining flights still dispersed. To Old Sarum 6.6.1918, with only Yatesbury flight detached until 9.7.1918. To Flower Down, Winchester 10.7.1918. To France 19.7.1918.

Hi Duncan,

There is a sort of a squadron history for this unit, privately published in 1968 by JW Stuart Gilchrist called The 104th Aero Squadron. Having a look at it, it does not cover the training period, but is a good and more than useful read for the 1918 service period and is well illustrated. The Appendices are also good. You might find a copy if you don't have it already.

Have you looked on Fold3 at the Gorrell sections - they definitely hold much 104th Aero Sqn material, but unfortunately it is no longer free (last time I looked).

good luck.

Trevor

Trevor,

I've seen the Gilchrist book and I think I'll follow your advice - though it doesn't cover the training period it will at least be a good way to see "what happened next".

I've also looked at Fold3 but was aware that their site mentions lots about free trials but nothing about how to cancel your membership. Anyone had experience of cancelling a Fold3 membership?

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Fold3, in an earlier incarnation, had the Gorrell records as free access, then closed and charged for them, then opened them up free again for a while. Then closed them once more. It might be worthwhile just hanging around till the Christmas period and see if they spring a special event/opportunity for access - they've done this as well, in the past, for other quite substantial sectors of their records. Rest assured, once in the on-line Gorrell records they are simply spectacular for American Aero Squadron original data - not least of all because you can search them very effectively.

Cheers,

Trevor