Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

49th West Riding Division

jane.beales

I have recently found out that my great uncle, Rifleman G A Sarginson (325080) died on or around 31 March 1918, but this seems to be before the main actions that spring and I was wondering if anyone could tell me in which battle he was likely to be in at that time.

He is buried at Menin Road South Military Cemetery.

He was originally with the 1st/7th Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own) which I believe then became part of the 49th West Riding Division.

Many thanks, J

The 1/7th were in the 146th (West Riding) Brigade of the 49th Division.

I would suggest you buy their war diary from the NA, it could well tell you what happened on that day.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4555946

Hi J.

On the 30th March the Battalion were relieved in the line by the 1st Buffs (East Kent) Regiment, 6th Division, and proceeded to West Farm Camp, Potijze, to the east of Ypres (Ieper). On the 31st, the Battalion were undergoing Interior Economy, basically tidying up the Camp, when they were shelled during the afternoon "causing casualties."

George was unfortunately killed.

Chris.

Thanks very much to you both.

Poor George, he must have come through so much to get to that point.

His brother was in the same battalion, I think, and survived the war so I'll get the war diary to follow his war.

Thanks, J

Hi J.

Only thing I can tell you is that George didn't serve with the battalion from the word 'go' as they say. He will have been a draft at some stage.

Just to add, is his brother Horace, formerly Yorkshire Hussars?

Best wishes.

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris

Thanks for that, I did know about his brother, Horace, as he survived the war . His son is still alive so hopefully will have some details of his father - though increasingly am realising that is not always the case!

Thanks, J

Good evening J.

Horace appears to 'fit the bill' as they say, 49th Division man as regards his date on the Medal Index Card.

Best wishes.

Chris.