Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Laurence Binyon - Oxford DNB life of the day 11.11.12

seaJane

"Over age for active service, Binyon worked as an orderly in a military hospital in France for periods in 1915 and 1916, the subject of his finest war poem, ‘Fetching the Wounded’. In 1917 he was dispatched by the Red Cross to report on work being done by British volunteers for the French wounded, refugees, and other victims of the war, published as For Dauntless France (1918)."

The whole article is available without subscription at the ODNB site http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/1.html for the rest of this week.

sJ

Sea-Jane,

I can now see that once you have arrived at the ODNB site you have to tap in the name of the person you are looking for. Stupid of me !

All the best,

Fred

Hi Fred,

Once a week has passed the link leads to the next week's batch of "Life of the Day."

Did you manage to get through to the Laurence Binyon article? If not let me know.

sJ

Fred,

Subscription is massive! I have sent you a private message.

Jane

Fred - Jane

Our local libraries allow free access from a home computer for ODNB - may be this is an option if your library service is signed up to it.

Regards ... Maricourt

Hi Maricourt, yes, that's how I get in - but I don't think Fred's in this country. I may be wrong!

Sea-Jane,

I tried to answer your private conversation but I 'did not have authority 'to do that !

I am more interested in the ODNB now than in any particular author at the moment. I wrote an introduction to FOR THE FALLEN some time ago ans i got my information from several Histories of English Literature.

All the best,

Fred

OK Fred - not sure why you can't send a PM - I'm sure your count of messages sent is high enough. Maybe my mailbox is full, hmmm.

It might be worth asking whether your local public or university library would take out a subscription.

Sea-Jane,

Only last week I had a 'private conversation' with another member of the GWF. I don't know why I 'had no authority' to reach you.

In our country, as in yours, libraries and ohter cultural institutions are having a hard time of it, so they won't take out a subscription. for me.

All the best,

Fred

Understood: well, any time you want an individual item, let me know - perhaps if you can PM someone else and they can PM me, that will get round the problem!

Today's Life of the Day was Agatha Christie, who worked as a VAD.