Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl James Fox 18326 KSLI DOW 22th Feb 1915

ATNOMIS

Pals

Any infomation on Cpl James Fox

He was born in the tiny Shropshire village of Leebotwood in 1896 the fifth of six children of Thomas Fox who was an agricultural labourer. His mother Emma died two years later giving birth to his brother Henry. By 1911 he was working as a ploughman in the nearby village of Smethcott. The fact that he was a ploughman at the age of 15 shows that he must have been above averagely capable.

I don't know when, or more importantly, why he joined the KSLI (Kings Shropshire Light Infantry) but when he married in October 1915 he was called a soldier on his wedding certificate. I have seen his army record and he appears to have done nothing out of the ordinary .On the morning of 16th Feb (information I've been given) he was wounded while serving in the Somme, again his record only has the bare fact .He had been married for 14 weeks.

I have not been able to find out what happened to his widow, but hope she eventually found happiness. Everything that I have found out about him, which is all from official documents, was presented as matter of fact, which makes it sadder in a way.

Thank in advance

Simon

Name: James Fox Birth Place: Leebotwood, Salop Residence: Leebotwood, Salop Death Date: 22 Feb 1916 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Chester Rank: Private Regiment: King's (Shropshire Light Infantry) Battalion: 5th Battalion Number: 18326 Type of Casualty: Died of wounds Theatre of War:

Western European Theatre

Rank: Private Service No: 18326 Date of Death: 22/02/1916 Age: 22 Regiment/Service: King's Shropshire Light Infantry 5th Bn. Grave Reference VIII. D. 60. Cemetery BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of James Fox, of Leebotwood, Salop.

I assume you mean he was wounded (not killed) as he DoW and is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery.

Corrected. I was rushing.Sorry

Simon

Hi Simon

18326 Pte. James Fox enlisted about mid June 1915, he landed in France on 12th Oct 1915 and joined the 5th Batt. It is hard to know for sure when he was wounded (I have not come across his name in the wounded lists in my local paper, so can not be sure of when wounded) but I am sure it was NOT on the Somme, more likely to have been in first two weeks of Feb 1916, at least before the 14th Feb (the 5th Battalion were relieved on night of 11th/12th Feb but some of the machine gunner stayed in the line until 14th and after this date they were out of the line for several weeks). The 5th K.S.L.I. were holding the line near Pilckem Ridge during the winter of 1915/16.

Annette