Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Chris_Baker

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

EDWARD1

The book "Middlesbrough Remembering 1914-18 by Paul Menzies list the following  British Red Cross Hospitals in the locality

The Manor House , Stokesley. opened 28th Oct 1914, closed 18th Jan 1919, 60 beds, 801 treated, Affil to East Leeds War Hospital, Comm I/C Mrs L Gjers, Red Cross Unit Yorks42

Ayton Firs                Great Ayton             10th Dec 1914               11th Nov 1915 20           50                              Military Hospital York                           Mrs Kitchin                              

Crathorne Hall        Crathorne                 13th Nov 1914               9th July 1917  24           423                            War Hosp Newcastle                            Mrs J L Dugdale                     Yorks24 

Rounton Red Cross Rounton                  25th Nov 1914              3rd Jan 1919   37           387                             Military Hospital York                           Lady F Bell                               Yorks44

R C Holgate           Middlesbrough          1st Oct 1917                 30th Apr1919  51           577                            Newcastle General                                Mrs May Hedley                       Yorks32

Hemlington Aux   Middlesbrough          17th Sept 1914              8th Aug 1918  150       3345                           War Hosp Newcastle                            Dr Longbotham & Ellis             Yorks29

Red Barns              Redcar                        9th Jan 1915                  30th Apr 1919  90        1345                          East Leeds War Hosp                            Mrs C Pease                              Yorks 8

Cliffden RC           Saltburn                       23rd Dec 1914               16th Aug 1919 50         1152                          East Leeds War Hosp                            A J Longley                               Yorks76

Chaloner Hall      Guisborough                13th Dec 1915               31st Mar1917  20          220                            Military Hosp York                                  Lady Holden of Aston             Yorks26

Wharton Hall        Skelton                         1st Apr 1915                 19th Jan 1919  36          480                           East Leeds War Hosp                             E J Burnett                                Yorks20

Kirkleatham Hall Kirkleatham no further info

Eddie              

Andy Wade
On 1/15/2018 at 15:24, Patrick H said:

Does anyone have information on Keighley Military Hospital. My man John Groves Pte 28887 1st Essex died of wounds on the 10th August 1917

Patrick

The register shows the following information for this man:

Number in AB 27a: T 1962
Unit/Regiment: 1st Essex
Regimental number: 28874
Name: Groves, J.
Ward: C
Sick/Wounded: W
Date of admission: 4-5-17
Date of discharge: 10-8-17
Results: By death

BarbaraG

Interested to find out more about Waverley Abbey Hospital, Farnham. The home of Major Rupert Anderson and his wife Amy.

Portrait -Mrs Amy ANDERSON IWM (WW CD8-5-118)

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205379842

Entitled -Commandant Mrs Amy Douglas Knyveton Anderson - she does not look as dour as some of the matrons.

I have come across some informative websites...

http://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/story/waverley-abbey-hospital/

http://blogs.redcross.org.uk/uk/2011/10/letters-home-from-a-first-world-war-nurse/

Any ideas for finding casualty lists for those treated there most welcome.

Barbara

Edited by BarbaraG

seaJane

I have checked the Hospital Records Database but it is not among the hospitals listed as being in Farnham

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/searchresults.asp.

Perhaps it would be worth contacting the Surrey Record Centre: 

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/heritage-culture-and-recreation/archives-and-history/surrey-history-centre.

seaJane

I appreciate that, but Surrey staff may know of things such as patient records which haven't yet been catalogued. It does happen now and then.

BarbaraG

Thank you for replies - more pieces fitting together.

Barbara G

HERITAGE PLUS

This will be of help to anyone interested in Hospitals in Ireland during the War.

http://eprints.maynoothuniversity.ie/5060/1/Clare_O'Neill_20140620131550.pdf

Dave

Red Rose

This information was printed in the Oldham Evening Chronicle on March 10th 1917. Maybe you have it already but just in case...

"The Chronicle reports that Oldham has been asked to provide 50 - 60 extra beds  for a military hospital and that The Knoll, Windsor Road, Oldham, residence of the late Dr. Leach, has been approved and with a few alterations should be ready in the next few weeks."

mbriscoe
On 07/07/2012 at 08:30, hunter1 said:

My great uncle died in the Military Hospital, Mossley Hill, Liverpool - does anyone know anyhting about this hospital - he died a while after the war but I assuem from injuries sustained int he war or related.

I have his brothers records to a point - as he died in France during the war, but cant find anyhting on this Uncle who died later.

Any suggestions on the hospital records, information about the hospital or finding his army records

Thank you

There is a news item about it here

Liverpool Echo - Monday 13 May 1918

Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

LIVERPOOL'S AMERICAN HOSPITAL.

Nestling amidst the trees Mossley-hill the first- American Red Cross hospital be opened in the North of England. occupies beautiful secluded position in Park-avenu«, and has been taken on a nominal rental from Dr. Muspratt. For the most part the cases dealt with are those of men who have contracted illnesses during transhipment, and the accommodation the house is supplemented by that a series of ward buildings, now being hastily erected in the extensive grounds Some 800 patients are being provided for all, and staff of twenty doctors, together with nurses arid orderlies, are in charge of Major Wile.

I was looking up because I was reading in the book on the loss of Tuscania and Otranto that the American Red Cross decided after the Tuscania loss that with all the troopships crossing the Atlantic, they needed to be better prepared.  They set up five stocks of supplies in Northern Ireland at the ports used by Tuscania survivors.  They also had a warehouse in Liverpool stocked with supplies that can be taken to any other location where a survivors were brought ashore.

In March 1918 an American Red Cross train on its way to France was put on display in Liverpool Central Station.

Edited by mbriscoe

Phil Sutters

I haven't been through all 31 pages of this forum, but did a search and can only find one small reference to Newhaven, Sussex, so I assume that its military hospital hasn't been mentioned yet.. The Town Council has had a series of history boards in appropriate locations around the town and port with WW1 photos and information - the whole being referred to as the Poppy Trail. The information posted on the Hospital board can be seen here https://www.newhaventowncouncil.gov.uk/newhavens-first-world-war/the-poppy-trail/the-military-hospital/

There are a number or war graves in Newhaven Town Cemetery, most of which will have been of those who had first been in the hospital.

Edited by Phil Sutters
Additional information

The Kneelagger

There were three in Newton Abbot,South Devon.

Stover Red Cross Hospital 1914-15

Newton Abbot Vad Hospital, a St John Hospital, 1914-1919

Seale Hayne Millitary Hospital - a 'shell shock' hospital 1918-1919

Moonraker

Welcome to the Forum, Kneelagger.

We have quite a few threads about Seale Hayne:

Seale Hayne hospital centenary project - Centenary Projects ...

I haven't checked to see if we've previously mentioned the other two. Seale Hayne came to mind because at the time a couple of threads struck a chord because|I used to know that part of Devon very well.

Moonraker

TEW

I'd like to add;

Normanswood Convalescent Hospital for Officers. This is Normanswood Manor Tilford, Farnham, Surrey. Owned at the time by a Miss Russel or Russell.

I'm adding this because it has 3 pages of Admissions and Discharges (78 officers) in MH106/1793 but is not indexed as such by TNA.

TNA describe MH106/1793 as; Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank: Mrs Mitchison's Hospital - officers 26/6/1916 - 31/10/1917 (this is wrong, see below). Mrs Mitchison's Hospital is Clock House, Chelsea Embankment. I think both Convalescent Hospitals were affiliated to Millbank. There is certainly a connection between Normanswood and Clock House as the Officers at Normanswood all came from Clock House.

Within MH106/1793.

Dates of Admissions to Normanswood are; 26/6/1916 - 31/10/1917 with a 7 month hiatus Nov 16 to June 17.

Dates of Admissions to Clock House (Mrs Mitchison's) are; 11/10/1918 - 10/12/1918. TNA's dates for MH106/1793 omit these entries.

Admissions to Clock House 6/6/1916 - 11/10/1918 are in MH106/1792 but there's more complications with that A&D book best left for another post!

TEW

Madmeg

May have been put up already-

Napsbury Military Hospital- formerly the Middlesex County Asylum - my grandmother's sister Fanny Mabel Simmonds married Arthur O'Neill who became a medical registrar there. Their children were brought up there. I have some family pictures but only of the grounds not of the buildings.

The Coppice Nottinghamshire- formerly a private Asylum but seems to have also been used for military purposes- Dr Ernest Lionel Forward worked there pre war . became a Captain in the RAMC and was assigned to an Ambulance division in the NW- but is still shown with an address at The Coppice throughout the war years.

Finding the references to Seale Hayne fascinating- I studied there when it was an Agricultural college but had no knowledge of its previous history.