Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Chris.

Yesterday I spent a happy couple of hours in the Bristol Records Office.Amongst other things I found the following in formation about ww1 hospitals in a press cutting.I am sure this is not a definative list of those in the area but perhaps it will help to move us forward.

WW1 HOSPITALS IN THE BRISTOL AREA.

THE BRUCE COLE HOSPITAL(THE BUILDING,STILL THERE,IS AND WAS BETTER KNOWN AS PACKERS SPORTS PAVILLION.).

ALMONDSBURY.

BEAUFORT.

BRISTOL ROYAL INFIRMARY.

BRISTOL GENERAL HOSPITAL.

BISHOPS KNOLL

BADMINTON.

CLEVE HILL.

CLEVEDON.

BRISTOL HOMEOPATHIC.

HORTON.

KINGSWESTON.

QUEEN VICTORIA.

RED MAIDS.

SOUTHMEAD.

GURNEY COURT.

COSSHAM .

Sorry this is just a list but it may interest some of you. This interest in the great war grows and grows and I donot think I will ever be able to say I have got to the end of it.

CHEERS.

JOHN.

:D

Thank you for setting me straight on the hospital. The photographs certainly look like they could be school exteriors! I only had my grandmother's written heading on top of the photographs to go on.

Karen

As a newcomer to this site may I add my two penneth.

Log on to "Kent VAD Hospitals" in Outlook Express and there is a list of all VAD Hospitals in Kent during WWI

Also, although American they might have nursed a few British or Commonwealth service personnel. Information provided by American Red Cross:-

American Red Cross Military Hospitals in Great Britain:-

No. 4-Mossley Hill, Liverpool

No.21-Paignton, Devon

No.22-Lancaster Gate, London

No.23-St. Katherine's Lodge, London

No.24-Baroda House,London

American Red Cross Convalescent Hospitals:-

N0.101-Lingfield,London

No.102-Wimbledon, London

American Army Hospitals in Great Britain:-

N0.204- Hursley Park

No. 33-Portsmouth

No. 37-Dartford

No. 29-Tottenham

No. 40-Sarisbury Court, near Southampton. Organised at Good Samaritan Hospital

Lexington, Kentucky. Arrived July 20th 1918. Hit hard by the arrival of

Troops with Spanish Influenza in the Autumn. Dr. David Barrow and Nurse

Bogle in charge.

No. 35-Winchester

N0. 40-Knotty Ash, Liverpool

No. 36-Southampton-Opened July 1st 1918 from College of Medicine, Detroit,

Michigan. Dr. Burt Shirly and Nurse Mrs Betsy Harris in Charge

Sorry I did not sign off on my last message also I forgot to metion that I am still looking for a lead on Droxford War Hospital Supply Depot, Hambledon, Hants.

Tony

:D Kath

Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup -- Previous name The Queen's Hospital 1917-1929

ADDRESS- Frognal Avenue, Sidcup, Kent, DA14 6LT

Log on to NATIONAL ARCHIVES, select CATALOUGES and fill in the details

Tony

Thanks, I meant on this site.

I didn't want to repeat info.

Kath

Cheltenham race course was used as a hospital in WW1 serving British and US needs. The troops carved messages into the bricks and a number of these are displayed under the main grandstand. Let me know if you want a picture and I will try and sort one out.

Truro Workhouse was converted to the truro Aux naval Hospital. it was opened Nov 1915 and shut March 1919. The hospital had 210 beds and treated 4000 patients

Do you have such a thing as a picture of the main enterance.I have a picky whic was taken ww1 with my g father on it and it is p.m. TRURO.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

unfortunately not but will ask around in the local area to see if any of my mates have one

Chris,

3 local hospitals to me for WW1, in Southend On Sea, Essex

The Palace Hotel became the Queen Marys Naval Hospital. It received its first casualties on 6th October 1914. This was a joint Army/Navy hospital until early 1917 when the Army casualties were moved out to the two other war hospitals in the area. The Palace Hotel survives today, it remained a naval hospital until it was closed in 1919.

The Overcliff Hotel, Army hospital, demolished after the Second Woorld War. Researc leads me to think that the Canadian Special eye and ear hospital(opened in May 1915) was housed within this hospital.

The Glen, Army hospital, demolished after the second world war.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest robertmartynuk

Hi everybody, (sorry for the cross posting however i only found this thread after i had posted my original message) excellent amount of material here.

Aston Hall Hospital in Aston on Trent Derbyshire was used as a military hospital during 1914-1918.

The hospital is about to close, after the war the hospital was transfered back to the Winterbottom family who sold it to Nottinghamshire Corporation in 1924. After which it became 'Aston Hall Institution'.

I'm sorry but i have not got my photos with me i will post one on friday.

Cardiac Hospitals

Leeds Leeds General Hospital (part) (Section of) East Leeds War Hospital Operational from Nov 18 with 50 beds. Closed Aug 19, cardiac centre then affiliated with Special Military Surgical Hospital, Leeds. Under Northern Command. Associated convalescent hospital - 572 beds at Killingbeck Military Hospital (another section of East Leeds War Hospital). Closed in Jun 19, cases to East Leeds War Hospital until that closed in Aug 20

I picked up a postcard today, with a cartoon of an attentive nurse pandering to the every need of a wounded soldier. It was posted on 18 Sept 18 to:

Nurse Nicholson

K21 Ward

Killingbeck War Hospital

Leeds

with the message:

No 1 A M H

Ilkley

Dear Nurse,

Just a line thanking you for your kindness during my stay at Kill-'Em-Quick. I have not as yet located the boy you asked me to. With best wishes for your very good health. Believe me, yours sincerely

Gnr Baker G.

Cheerio

Guest robertmartynuk

Hi everybody, and so the search goes on.

I'm off to London to the Red Cross archive, so thank you for your suggestions.

As promised (all be it a little late) the earliest photograph of Aston Hall as it was in 1936. as far as i am aware little change had occurred since the end of the war.

Best wishes

Robert

aston_hall_1930.zip

Visited my brother and sister-in-law last weekend, I was reading the Essex Chronicle dated 13 th May 2004 one item caught my eye it was about Oaklands House, the location of Chelmsford and Essex Museum. It stated that the museum could move to the town's Waterside development and that the house could be sold as part of a major review of Chelmsford Borough assets. If the museum was to move then the house which was built in 1856 as the home ffor the family of Chelmsford brewer Fredrick Wells was most unlikely to be demolished. The house which became the towns museum in 1930, but during 1914-18 war it was requisitioned as a military hospital. There was an operating theatre in what is now the geology room, and a subsequent private owner found it impossible to rid his residence of the smell of ether!

• 2 weeks later...

winwick hospital, Lancashire (later to be the psychiatric hospital) was used but from and too dates i don't know, don't live in Warrington now but will try to get mum and dad involved in gaining further info. I do know the hospital only recently (in last 10 years) has gone. yes you guessed a housing estate!!!

Guest MaryFM

Hi all

Erskine Hospital which was then Princess Louise Scottish Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers, Bishopton which opened October 10th 1916 and is still going strong.

I grew up in the next town and many times my friends and I did all sort of things to raise funds for the Hospital and many of our neighbours helped as volunteers.

Best wishes

Mary

The attached is the first page of an article which appeared in 'Local History News'

Number 62 - Spring 2002 - the Magazine of the British Association for Local History (BALH). Second page follows on next post.

Dave

Page 2 of Roehampton Article.

A complete newcomer to this site, but I have just unearthed an Album kept by my great-aunt when she was apparently nursing at the Bellahouston Park Red Cross Hospital in Glasgow, in 1916-17.

Full of drawings (some I am assuming of her) and mottos, cartoons and so on.

Any pointers as to where to look for more info on this hospital would be gratefully received.

• 3 weeks later...

:unsure: I have been occupied elsewhere for awhile and surprised to see a nineteen day blank - has the thread come to an end?

I posed a question some time ago on another thread with no response so can I try again here? I have a fairly general interest in World War One but particularly Armed Forces Medical and Nursing Services and Red Cross/St. John where appropriate which obviously takes in War Hospitals. My research has included a qualified civil nurse who was also a Trained Red Cross nurse who was admitted by St. James Palace to membership of the Queen Mary's Needlework Guild in 1916. I have her badges and Q.M.N.G. Certificate issued by St. James Palace that quotes that she was serving at DROXFORD WAR HOSPITAL SUPPLY DEPOT, HAMBLEDON BRANCH, Hampshire. All my enquiries including Hampshire Archives and The British Red Cross have drawn a blank regarding identification of Droxford War Hospital. I would be most grateful if anybody can help.

Also in my War Hospital insignia collection I have the following unidentified items = (1) An inch and a quarter x 3/16 red enamel suspender bar with "JUNE-1915" in gilt with a crimson ribbon and pinned at the bottom in bronze "Q.M.A.H"

R

My own thoughts are "QUEEN MARY'S AUXILIARY(ARMY) HOSPITAL - RESERVE"

Any other ideas and the hospital?

I also have two other badges with the remote possibility that they may be WW2 and will not qualify for this thread-However- They are two modified British Red Cross badges. One a modified Red Cross County Pendant with everything erased except the central Red Cross on a White Shield with "ENGLAND AND WALES" professionally engraved on the supporting bar and "S.M.H" engraved above the red cross, the item named to Nurse Willshire.

The other a British Red Cross Society membership badge, again all Red Cross details erased except the red cross on a white field above "S.M.H." engraved and surmounted by a King's Crown.

Anybody any thoughts?

Sorry to take up all this time but after nineteen days at least it is something to read

Here's hoping

Tonym