Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

The book "Middlesbrough Remembering 1914-18 by Paul Menzies list the following  British Red Cross Hospitals in the locality

The Manor House , Stokesley. opened 28th Oct 1914, closed 18th Jan 1919, 60 beds, 801 treated, Affil to East Leeds War Hospital, Comm I/C Mrs L Gjers, Red Cross Unit Yorks42

Ayton Firs                Great Ayton             10th Dec 1914               11th Nov 1915 20           50                              Military Hospital York                           Mrs Kitchin                              

Crathorne Hall        Crathorne                 13th Nov 1914               9th July 1917  24           423                            War Hosp Newcastle                            Mrs J L Dugdale                     Yorks24 

Rounton Red Cross Rounton                  25th Nov 1914              3rd Jan 1919   37           387                             Military Hospital York                           Lady F Bell                               Yorks44

R C Holgate           Middlesbrough          1st Oct 1917                 30th Apr1919  51           577                            Newcastle General                                Mrs May Hedley                       Yorks32

Hemlington Aux   Middlesbrough          17th Sept 1914              8th Aug 1918  150       3345                           War Hosp Newcastle                            Dr Longbotham & Ellis             Yorks29

Red Barns              Redcar                        9th Jan 1915                  30th Apr 1919  90        1345                          East Leeds War Hosp                            Mrs C Pease                              Yorks 8

Cliffden RC           Saltburn                       23rd Dec 1914               16th Aug 1919 50         1152                          East Leeds War Hosp                            A J Longley                               Yorks76

Chaloner Hall      Guisborough                13th Dec 1915               31st Mar1917  20          220                            Military Hosp York                                  Lady Holden of Aston             Yorks26

Wharton Hall        Skelton                         1st Apr 1915                 19th Jan 1919  36          480                           East Leeds War Hosp                             E J Burnett                                Yorks20

Kirkleatham Hall Kirkleatham no further info

Eddie              

On 1/15/2018 at 15:24, Patrick H said:

Does anyone have information on Keighley Military Hospital. My man John Groves Pte 28887 1st Essex died of wounds on the 10th August 1917

Patrick

The register shows the following information for this man:

Number in AB 27a: T 1962
Unit/Regiment: 1st Essex
Regimental number: 28874
Name: Groves, J.
Ward: C
Sick/Wounded: W
Date of admission: 4-5-17
Date of discharge: 10-8-17
Results: By death

• 3 months later...

Interested to find out more about Waverley Abbey Hospital, Farnham. The home of Major Rupert Anderson and his wife Amy.

Portrait -Mrs Amy ANDERSON IWM (WW CD8-5-118)

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205379842

Entitled -Commandant Mrs Amy Douglas Knyveton Anderson - she does not look as dour as some of the matrons.

I have come across some informative websites...

http://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/story/waverley-abbey-hospital/

http://blogs.redcross.org.uk/uk/2011/10/letters-home-from-a-first-world-war-nurse/

Any ideas for finding casualty lists for those treated there most welcome.

Barbara

Edited by BarbaraG

I have checked the Hospital Records Database but it is not among the hospitals listed as being in Farnham

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/searchresults.asp.

Perhaps it would be worth contacting the Surrey Record Centre: 

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/heritage-culture-and-recreation/archives-and-history/surrey-history-centre.

I appreciate that, but Surrey staff may know of things such as patient records which haven't yet been catalogued. It does happen now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

This information was printed in the Oldham Evening Chronicle on March 10th 1917. Maybe you have it already but just in case...

"The Chronicle reports that Oldham has been asked to provide 50 - 60 extra beds  for a military hospital and that The Knoll, Windsor Road, Oldham, residence of the late Dr. Leach, has been approved and with a few alterations should be ready in the next few weeks."

On 07/07/2012 at 08:30, hunter1 said:

My great uncle died in the Military Hospital, Mossley Hill, Liverpool - does anyone know anyhting about this hospital - he died a while after the war but I assuem from injuries sustained int he war or related.

I have his brothers records to a point - as he died in France during the war, but cant find anyhting on this Uncle who died later.

Any suggestions on the hospital records, information about the hospital or finding his army records

Thank you

There is a news item about it here

Liverpool Echo - Monday 13 May 1918

Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

LIVERPOOL'S AMERICAN HOSPITAL.

Nestling amidst the trees Mossley-hill the first- American Red Cross hospital be opened in the North of England. occupies beautiful secluded position in Park-avenu«, and has been taken on a nominal rental from Dr. Muspratt. For the most part the cases dealt with are those of men who have contracted illnesses during transhipment, and the accommodation the house is supplemented by that a series of ward buildings, now being hastily erected in the extensive grounds Some 800 patients are being provided for all, and staff of twenty doctors, together with nurses arid orderlies, are in charge of Major Wile.

I was looking up because I was reading in the book on the loss of Tuscania and Otranto that the American Red Cross decided after the Tuscania loss that with all the troopships crossing the Atlantic, they needed to be better prepared.  They set up five stocks of supplies in Northern Ireland at the ports used by Tuscania survivors.  They also had a warehouse in Liverpool stocked with supplies that can be taken to any other location where a survivors were brought ashore.

In March 1918 an American Red Cross train on its way to France was put on display in Liverpool Central Station.

Edited by mbriscoe

• 6 months later...

I haven't been through all 31 pages of this forum, but did a search and can only find one small reference to Newhaven, Sussex, so I assume that its military hospital hasn't been mentioned yet.. The Town Council has had a series of history boards in appropriate locations around the town and port with WW1 photos and information - the whole being referred to as the Poppy Trail. The information posted on the Hospital board can be seen here https://www.newhaventowncouncil.gov.uk/newhavens-first-world-war/the-poppy-trail/the-military-hospital/

There are a number or war graves in Newhaven Town Cemetery, most of which will have been of those who had first been in the hospital.

Edited by Phil Sutters
Additional information

There were three in Newton Abbot,South Devon.

Stover Red Cross Hospital 1914-15

Newton Abbot Vad Hospital, a St John Hospital, 1914-1919

Seale Hayne Millitary Hospital - a 'shell shock' hospital 1918-1919

Welcome to the Forum, Kneelagger.

We have quite a few threads about Seale Hayne:

Seale Hayne hospital centenary project - Centenary Projects ...

I haven't checked to see if we've previously mentioned the other two. Seale Hayne came to mind because at the time a couple of threads struck a chord because|I used to know that part of Devon very well.

Moonraker

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add;

Normanswood Convalescent Hospital for Officers. This is Normanswood Manor Tilford, Farnham, Surrey. Owned at the time by a Miss Russel or Russell.

I'm adding this because it has 3 pages of Admissions and Discharges (78 officers) in MH106/1793 but is not indexed as such by TNA.

TNA describe MH106/1793 as; Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank: Mrs Mitchison's Hospital - officers 26/6/1916 - 31/10/1917 (this is wrong, see below). Mrs Mitchison's Hospital is Clock House, Chelsea Embankment. I think both Convalescent Hospitals were affiliated to Millbank. There is certainly a connection between Normanswood and Clock House as the Officers at Normanswood all came from Clock House.

Within MH106/1793.

Dates of Admissions to Normanswood are; 26/6/1916 - 31/10/1917 with a 7 month hiatus Nov 16 to June 17.

Dates of Admissions to Clock House (Mrs Mitchison's) are; 11/10/1918 - 10/12/1918. TNA's dates for MH106/1793 omit these entries.

Admissions to Clock House 6/6/1916 - 11/10/1918 are in MH106/1792 but there's more complications with that A&D book best left for another post!

TEW

May have been put up already-

Napsbury Military Hospital- formerly the Middlesex County Asylum - my grandmother's sister Fanny Mabel Simmonds married Arthur O'Neill who became a medical registrar there. Their children were brought up there. I have some family pictures but only of the grounds not of the buildings.

The Coppice Nottinghamshire- formerly a private Asylum but seems to have also been used for military purposes- Dr Ernest Lionel Forward worked there pre war . became a Captain in the RAMC and was assigned to an Ambulance division in the NW- but is still shown with an address at The Coppice throughout the war years.

Finding the references to Seale Hayne fascinating- I studied there when it was an Agricultural college but had no knowledge of its previous history.

• 3 months later...

A search of this thread shows surprisingly few references to hospitals IN Winchester, though there were a number close to the city.

(This list of auxiliary hospitals does include Uplands, presumably in the eponymous city street.There's another list here with modern photos of some buildings.)

I was prompted to look through this thread because of an item on

tonight's regional news

about Burrell House ( a century ago known as West Highlands)  having provided nurses' accommodation in the Great War.

A bit more info here.

"During the First World War three huts were put up in the grounds of the Hospital for military patients. They were funded by two very generous benefactors, Lady Portal of Laverstoke and Miss Augusta Burrell of Fairthorne Manor, Botley. The huts were called Blighty, Bluebell and Burrell. Later a fourth was put up and named Beatrice after Queen Victoria’s youngest daughter who opened it. "

Moonraker

• 5 months later...

A minor curiosity: The Poverty Bay Herald, Volume XLV, Issue 14711, September 17,1918 reported that the "N.Z.E.F. has also recently taken over a small hospital  at Bulford hitherto used by the Australians. It will be used for the accommodation of sick men from Sling Camp." A postcard from a New Zealand conscientious objector, Horace Melvin 60351 and dated November 17, 1918, is addressed from "No 4 New Zealand General Hospital, Bulford" and states he is on the staff of orderlies. Though Numbers 1, 2 and 3 General Hospitals are well-known, no further references to Number 4 have been found. (I've Googled and checked definitive lists of hospitals.)

Moonraker

Noted in passing:

There are war diaries for Australian hospitals at Harefield Park, Tetbury (for Flying Corps), Southall, Bulford (dermatological - ie VD) and Dartford.

See here

(Scroll down a couple of pages.)

I haven't checked the content.

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

On this Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174852349937156/

Rural East Suffolk in Old Photographs if URL is not working

has photos of two hospitals

Broadwater British Red Cross Hospital (outskirts of Ipswich)

Henham Hall Military Auxiliary Hospital (A12 near Southwold) (site of Latitude Festival)

Haven't been through your 31 pages to check if they are mentioned already!

George

• 2 weeks later...

In the Service Record of 116790 Charles Albert Payne RE there is a list dated 01/09/1917 headed 3rd Provisional Company RE. It has over fifty names and the hospitals where they were. I could not get a clear enough copy to post but the hospitals are from everywhere in the UK. Pnr Payne is shown in the 4th London General Hospital, Denmark Hill, S E.

Brian

This is fascinating subject, I know my my Great Grandfather was taken to Fort Pit Military Hospital in Chatham, I have tried to find out as much as I could about it, but very limited info to be found, I did wonder if he stayed here for his entire rehabilitation or got transferred somewhere else. But the more I looked the more fascinated I became about the Military hospitals, they definitely deserve a book about them.

On 12/09/2006 at 13:35, Monnaux said:

I have a letter sent by my Grandfather, William Fry, in July 1916 from the Broadwater hospital in Ipswich, Sufolk

I have been through the different lists of hospitals that I have found on this site but haven't found this particular one. I suppose it is known under another name.

Better late than never .... I have pm'd you Gerald, with this answer:

Broadwater Hospital is one of the Home Hospitals that I have researched.  It is within the 20 mile limit I have set myself for researching, within a 20 mile radius of the General Military Hospital in Colchester - all "my" hospitals were affiliated to Colchester's General Mililitary Hospital. This is my Broadwater Hospital chapter:  https://greatwarhomehospitals.wordpress.com/home/ipswich-broadwater-auxiliary-hospital-belstead-road/   

I would be happy to include information about your grandfather if you so wish because this is the main part of my research (raison d'etre) - to commemorate and record as many of the people who worked in these Home Hospitals and the men who were cared for in them.  This project will never be completed ... 

Hopes this helps.

• 1 month later...

Hoole Bank Hospital, Chester, Cheshire 1914-1919

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit The Hammond School, Mannings Lane, Chester, CH2 4ES.

In the front meeting room was a framed fact sheet about the house when it served as Hoole Bank Hospital.

Mr George W Hayes offered Hoole Bank House to the Red Cross on 15th August 1914, and by 24th October 1914 the hospital was ready to receive patients.

The fact sheet shows the cards of two VADs, Minnie Davies, cook, and Kathleen Crofton, nurse.  There are photos of other staff and patients around the fire place.

In the meeting room there was also the original memorial plaque for Harry Urmson Hayes, 2nd Lieut. 1st Bn Black Watch who was killed in action on 13th October 1915 in France.

The Hayes endowed a 12 bed ward in his memory at Chester Royal Infirmary, and the plaque was mounted there until the 1990s when that hospital closed.

I can not see any reference to this hospital on the Forum, and therefore this post is offered to any member who might be interested.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to all members.

Thanks

IMG_20191210_082650.jpg

IMG_20191210_081322.jpg

IMG_20191210_082500.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good day Chris - Thank you for your information on military hospitals for limbless men.  Queen's Mary Convalscent Auxiliary Hospital and the Military Orthopedic Hospital in Shepherd's bush.  

We have been told that our paternal grandfather Abraham Cannell of the East Surrey Regiment when he was brought from France was sent to No 6 3rd Avenue Hove near Brighton, Sussex.  I recently have learnt that this was a Red Cross hospital.  He then was moved the Military Orthopedic Hospital in Shepherd's Bush and the convalessed at Queen Mary's Convalscent Auxiliary Hospital.

My family and I would like to be able to find records of his hospital stays to confirm for sure that this chain of events happened.  How does one go about obtaining these records?  I have tried to search on the National Archives but didn't seem to be able search for patient's records.

Thank you for any assistance.  My family and I live in Canada.

Donna King

Hi Donna,

I have been told that there was a large clear-out of patient and hospital records relating to the Great War in the early 19?20s, chiefly because of the huge number and bulk of them. A tranche of "representative records" remains in TNA at file MH106, which can be searched here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10949.

You may just possibly strike lucky. Sorry I can't help further, but someone else may know more.

seaJane