Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is Destages La Ventre near Armentieres?

Moriaty

Does anyone know where Destages La Ventre near Armentieres is?

I have been researching an officer in the 2nd Battalion, the Scots Guards, Lieutenant Felix Hanbury-Tracy who died on 19 December 1914. He is commemorated at Plug Street.

The book The Scots Guards in the Great War says “During one of these Christmas Day interviews the fate of two of the officers in Capt Loder’s attack on the 18th December was ascertained. A German officer stated that Lieut the Hon F Hanbury-Tracey had been brought into the German trenches very badly wounded, and had died two days later in hospital. He was buried in the German cemetery at Fromelles."

The fighting on the 18 December 1914 was in the area of Rouges Bancs, near Fromelles.

The Lieutenant's Probate record says that he died at Destages La Ventre near Armentieres, France.

Is this a case of an anglicisation of a French place name?

Moriaty

Following on from Ken's suggestion of "La Ventre" being Laventie and there was a German cemetery there, I wondered if "Destages" could be an anglicisation of Estaires which was nearby?

Of course, it could be Dienstag which is Tuesday, though the dates would be wrong.

Moriaty

If you have a copy of the lieutenant's record I'd like to see it.

Is it handwritten?

Perhaps "Destages" is not a name at all, but simply German language: "Des Tages" means "of the day".

Roel

I dont believe the Lieutenant's record has survived, his Medal Index Card says "died in German hands".

It is possible that there may be some material in the archives of the Scots Guards, but I havent checked that out yet.

Moriaty

• Admin

Nothing enlightening in his entry in Bond Of Sacrifice

Michelle

His widow re-married and died in 1958. On her tombstone in Laycock, Wilts, it mentions her first husband Felix "who died of wounds Landrecies 19 December 1914". From my researches, Landrecies was not mentioned as the place where he died.

Moriaty

• Admin

And Landrecies isn't very near Fromelles!

Michelle