Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 4173 Henry Snaith Yorkshire Regiment

alex815

My grandfather was Henry Snaith, born in Durham 1898. Lived in Leyburn, Yorkshire North Riding when he enlisted. Family members say he may have enlisted at Northallerton when he was 17 (under age) and that he was in the Green Howards Regiment which he may have been, but the family photo below shows he has a Royal Fusiliers cap badge. We also believe he was at the Somme and also gased at some point during the war and needed hostpital treatment. He later recieved a pension.(can't find pension record)

I have a subscriptions with Ancestry and Findmypast but all I have managed to find is a possible match on the medal index cards that does not show a 1915 star, which he would have recieved if he was at the Somme. Unfortunatley we are unable to find his regimental number as Grandmother sold his medals for half a crown to buy food for the family during the depression when times were hard.

Can anyone help ?

post-93917-0-01636000-1352403250_thumb.j

Why would being on the Somme qualify him for a 1915 Star?

I'm sure that others will pitch in, but it may help you to know that lots of men have more than one medal card, and loads of men served in two or more different units, and even within one unit had more than one serial no.

Tens of thousands of men who fought on the Somme in July 1916 didn't get the 1914/15 star, because they arrived in France and Flanders after 31st Dec 1915.

William

Hi

Dont the stripes on his left arm give some indication of service time?

1 per year?

regards

Robert

There is a MIC on ancestry

which corresponds with the information you have supplied

Pte 4173 Yorkshire Regiment Transfered to Pte 407386 Labour Corps transfered to Pte G/126042 Royal Fusiliers

awarded B.M.W and V.M

no indication of overseas service on MIC

regards Ray

Why would being on the Somme qualify him for a 1915 Star?

Hi Stephen,

As he has 4 stripes on his right arm, does that not mean he served for 4 years, so must have served in 1915 unless I'm mistaken.

Alex

Hi Stephen,

As he has 4 stripes on his right arm, does that not mean he served for 4 years, so must have served in 1915 unless I'm mistaken.

Alex

I'd thought so too, but no. A man qualified for a stripe on arrival then one for every complete year after that so he'd get one in 1916, 17, 18 and 19, that's assuming he didn't spend time in Hospital in the UK as that did not qualify as service for a stripe, e.g. if he spent 4 months in hospital in a calendar year he'd only accrue 8 months service.

There is a MIC on ancestry

which corresponds with the information you have supplied

Pte 4173 Yorkshire Regiment Transfered to Pte 407386 Labour Corps transfered to Pte G/126042 Royal Fusiliers

awarded B.M.W and V.M

no indication of overseas service on MIC

regards Ray

Ray

Is there a SWB entry on the MIC? Alex seems convinced he received a pension.

Sam

Hi No SWB entry on MIC

no S.W.B awarded on Silver War Badge Records

The only H Snaith listed on SWB rolls Pte 28041 Northumberland Fusiliers served 5/12/15 to 15/2/18

we can discount that soldier

regards Ray

• spof changed the title to Pte 4173 Henry Snaith Yorkshire Regiment