The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recently added Ancestry

Skipman

Recently added to Ancestry website List

UK, Memorial Books WWI and WWII, 1914-1945

UK, British Officer Prisoners of War, 1914-1918

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I suppose as time goes on it is almost inevitable that this list will grow and grow, but I do agree with Chris that the addition of the CWGC does make me wonder just how far this needs to go, and I also wonder if CWGC have given this their sanction?

Detailed information from the CWGC is not available if you only have the basic subscription.

I also tried looking up a couple of relatives, and only one of them came up.

Martin

• Admin

The CWGC information is the printed registers so they are well out of date even before In From the Cold came along. If these books are not in copyright (time since printing, Crown Copyright etc), I'm not sure CWGC can do much about it. I certainly know that when I mentioned them to a senior employee at the Brookwood Open Day a couple of months ago, he was not very happy about the situation.

Ancestry seem to have been cut out of TNA data (how much has gone to FMP etc lately compared to Ancestry?) so they now seem to be getting a lot of stuff from Naval and Military Press.

An interesting point is that the original registers sometimes have a little more information than the modern computerised ones produced by CWGC so it may be quite convenient to check the old ones.

Keith

Detailed information from the CWGC is not available if you only have the basic subscription.

I also tried looking up a couple of relatives, and only one of them came up.

Martin

I wouldn't have thought that anyone is likely to pay more money to Ancestry to see information which is produced for 'free' and more up to date on the CWGC site--or maybe some will?

Unless there is more data to be added, the CWGC register coverage is far from complete - I have tried the names of three known casualties, which I know for a fact are on the CWGC website, but do not show up on the Ancestry site. After the hype of advertising the addition of more Military records, I am disappointed.

As for Findmypast they have just added access to the British Newspaper Archive. This is a fantastic resource with some papers covering the Great War period. At least it will save me the expense of renewing my membership to the Archive in December.

Sepoy

• 2 months later...

Full size images not visible to the plebs like me with only the basic subscription... Grrrrrr!

Thanks anyway!

DP

Will your Library not have the 'full boonah'?

Mike

I'm sure with a quick appeal for pdfs of book the users cpuld create a database that far exceeded that shown Croydon at War. Many of these available on archive.org

Will your Library not have the 'full boonah'?

Mike

I'm selling the benefits of an Ancestry sub to them, but as I only work on a contract basis I don't have much pull with them. If the Library edition has the full Nine Yards of functionality it might sway them. I'll continue asking cos they have a new budget since January... It's good to talk!

I wouldn't have thought that anyone is likely to pay more money to Ancestry to see information which is produced for 'free' and more up to date on the CWGC site--or maybe some will?

Yes they will if they don't know what the free resources are - especially this side of the pond. I knew NOTHING when i joined this Forum and had had an Ancestry membership for years.

Hazel C.

Heres a page from a typical register Etaples, the ones i have cross checked with CWGC, difference DOW/KIA which you also can get free from other souces.

Walter

post-64827-0-23643200-1357762266_thumb.j

I see they have also added the CWGC database. Something disturbs me about that.

But not the ones for Wales, Scotland and Ireland it seems. I couldn't get a return on any cemetary in these countries.

(Republic of Ireland ones for WW2 are there)

Hywyn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UK, Civil Divorce Records, 1858-1911

" We’d love to think that all our ancestors lived happily ever after. But we all know that real life is rarely like that — and our new Civil Divorce Records, 1858-1911, tell you exactly what happened when it went wrong.

These potentially provocative records can give you a history of the marriage (including addresses), and all the claims and counterclaims that led up to the split. You could find out where and when your great-grandfather started an affair, and with whom! " :w00t:

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Added yesterday might be useful to some Great War research? If Mods don't agree, am happy to remove.

London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930

This database contains Poor Law records relating to settlement and removals for the unions of Bethnal Green, Hackney, Poplar, Shoreditch, and Stepney.

Historical Background

For centuries, the task of caring for the poor in England and Wales was assigned to the local parish. Each parish was given an Overseer of the Poor to help with this cause in 1572. In 1601, the Poor Law Act empowered these overseers to collect a poor rate, or tax, from wealthier members of the parish and distribute the funds among residents in need.

The 1601 law, and other supplemental acts, remained in effect until 1834, when the Poor Law Amendment Act took effect. This legislation collected parishes into groups called unions. Each union elected a Board of Guardians from among its ratepayers, and members of the board were then responsible for care of the poor within the union’s parishes. This system remained in place until 1930.

Right of Settlement

Because responsibility for indigent residents fell to the parish, authorities kept close tabs on who had a right to claim the parish as a legal place of settlement. People who could not legally claim the right of settlement could be sent back, or “removed,” to their last legal parish of settlement.

Right to settlement could be established by birth, residency for a prescribed period of time, marriage, renting property for at least £10 and paying the poor rate, or completing an apprenticeship, among other ways. Proving one’s right of settlement could include an examination or inquiry. While stressful for your ancestors, these examinations often produced valuable documentation.

What You Can Find in the Records

The records in this database relate to settlement and removals in the unions of Bethnal Green, Hackney, Poplar, Shoreditch, and Stepney. They include examinations and settlement inquiries, registers of settlement, orders of removal, and other documents.

Details included in these records vary widely, depending on the document. An order of removal may contain a name, age, current parish, and parish being removed to. A settlement register may note number of children and marital status. Documents from inquiries and examinations can be even more extensive. In the end, you may be able to uncover some of the following information:

• name
  • date
  • places and dates of residence (both current and former)
  • spouse and marriage details
  • children’s names, birth dates, and birthplace
  • profession
  • other family members’ names and residences
  • summary of the situation and grounds for settlement or removal

Some of the cases include multiple documents, so be sure to use the arrow keys to browse surrounding pages to make sure you find all the records for your ancestor.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can also search a number of Newspapers & Publications

Not sure how many of these will be useful to 1914-1918 period?

The Times (London, England)

England, Southern Railway Magazine: Jan 1840 - Feb 1942

Irish Independent Newspaper Obituaries: May 2001-June 2002

The Gentleman's Magazine Library, 1731-1868

The Liverpool Courier (Liverpool, Lancashire, England)

Edinburgh Advertiser (Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland)

The Bristol Times And Mirror (Bristol, Gloucestershire, England)

Liverpool Daily Post (Liverpool, Lancashire, England)

Australia and New Zealand Obituary Collection

Mike

What I would like to know is when are they going to add the medal rolls, I would renew my subs for that :)