Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scotland's most remote war memorial

DMcNay

There's an article on the Daily Record online site (and I believe it may be featured in today's Sunday Mail) about Scotland's most remote war memorial.

There's a quote from my War Memorials Project colleague Adam at the end. It was actually a discussion with us that led to them knowing about this memorial.

Hope you find the article interesting.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/scotlands-most-remote-war-memorial-1416018

Nice article, and the memorial certainly won't get vandalised!

BillyH.

Just read the article in the newspaper - another story of everyday folks whose lifes were ended due to the WW1.

There is a simialr story behind every fallen soldier

• 7 years later...

On Saturday I visited Glencoul in Sutherland. The memorial to the Elliot brothers lost in WW1 is classed as the most remote in the UK with access only available via two walking routes 1. Nearly a 10 hour round trip 2. 16 hour round trip or by boat from Kylesku. On the map it looks pretty accessible by walk but it is surrounded by high faces and on our route back we started at the bottom and walked round and to the top of Britain’s Highest water fall which in full flow is 3 times higher than the Niagra Falls. Sore today but was well worth it. If anyone is looking for information on route please drop me a message. On our way to the memorial we followed a route on OSMaps app which was totally misleading and dangerous. I wouldn’t like anyone to follow that path and get into difficulty. 

372E0FFE-E5EB-4037-9900-D216D6FB7435.jpeg

06C93676-1941-4F7A-A946-7C8F35E2FE3F.jpeg

BB641DCB-4A72-4DDF-ACE6-DFF2DE92C2CC.jpeg

What a splendid memorial, and how nice to see it has been cleaned-up since the Record article

Fantastic view of Glencoul Bothy and the tops of Quinag across the loch.

I've cross-linked your post to the topic over on the Scottish War Memorials Project here

Mark

Great pictures, and well done for visiting. 

This goes on the "to do" list if we ever make it to that trip in Scotland. 

M.