Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My trip to Verdun

spconnolly007

Very much looking forward to the next batch, the battlefield of Verdun is a “must see” for anyone interested in the Great War and for me the very top of that list is the Butte de Vauquois without any doubt. Not muscling in on your excellent photos just thought this one of the Butte when the tunnels were first being opened up may be of interest, note the sign.

Regards

Norman

1402195895_aeac828e82_z.jpg

Thanks guy's for your comments. Great photo Norman, and thanks for posting it. Interesting to see how things are developing on the Butte, and it is obvious that there is an on-going project. Work is in progress just above this tunnel at the moment, with a pile of track waiting to be laid. You are certainly correct as a 'must see' battlefield tour. You really get a feel for what went on at Verdun, as no matter where you walk, it is near impossible to find flat ground. I took approx. 600 photos as there was so much that I do not want to forget. I just hope that my next Flanders visit does not turn into a bit of a disappointment after this!

Regards

Sean.

The Porte Chaussee dates from the 14th century, but from 1914, all convoys bound for the front passed under its arch.

post-79848-0-76584200-1352052383_thumb.j

Looking back from the gate and across the bridge, the Monument to the Fallen. Its figures are representing the five different services of the French Army.

post-79848-0-52943000-1352052905_thumb.j

Opposite the Monument, the statue of General Maurice Sarrail, the Saviour of Verdun.

post-79848-0-22208300-1352053307_thumb.j

Excellent photo thread Sean. It will hopefully encourage others to literally "go that extra mile" to explore beyond Flanders and the Somme.

Keep them coming Sean, these are very interesting and this is one of my very favourite topic threads on the forum (only 600 photos :D )

Cheers

Norman

I was there two weeks ago and noticed how bad the Mort Homme memorial looked. It even had traces of something red (paint?) on it.

Attached a picture of better times... (1992).

Regards,

Marco

post-15-0-19369000-1352056192_thumb.jpg

Return to, and walk through the archway into the city centre. The Victory Monument which towers over Verdun was inaugurated in 1929. It is flanked by two Russian guns which were captured by the Germans on the Eastern Front and then recapture by the French. A crypt inside the pillar has records of every French soldier that fought at Verdun, and an inscription by the door quoting Petain's order of 10th April 1916: Courage-we'll get them!

post-79848-0-67130100-1352055258_thumb.j

Marco, I was disappointed in the condition of a few memorials. Whether this is due to the weather conditions in the area, Im not sure. As you will see shortly, the Ossuary is in the middle of a major face-lift, and the areas that have not yet been cleaned are literally black in places. Hopefully Mort Homme will be next?

Regards

Sean.

(only 600 photos :D )

Cheers

Norman

Yes, sad but true! I filled up a 4Gb memory card and had to borrow the wifes camera card to finish off the last day :thumbsup:.

Thanks Steve, it certainly warrants the extra mileage.

We now leave the city for the place that inspired my interest in Verdun, Fort Vaux. On the way there we pass the Faubourg Pave Military Cemetery. In 1920, an 'unknown soldier' was chosen from a group of eight coffins by a young veteran named Auguste Thin. The coffin that he chose was then transported to Paris and interred beneath the Arc de Triomphe. The remaining seven were then buried, surrounding the central cross at Faubourg Pave.

post-79848-0-16958300-1352057477_thumb.j

It looks as if it was a great trip, Sean. Sorry to hear that your wife was ill. Did you enjoy the Village Gaulois?

Your photo of monument on the top of the Mort-Homme is really impressive, especially with the bare trees behind. As you say, not a place to be on your own as darkness is falling.

Christina

Although Fort Douaumont was the first to fall into German hands, the excitement proved too strong to visit the Forts in a historical order, so with the co-ordinates logged in the tom-tom, we are on our way to retread the steps of Raynal and co.

post-79848-0-60152700-1352058774_thumb.j

In today's travel section of the Times there was an article on Verdun. That Porte? The nick is behind it, the synagogue to one side. Romagne? My great uncle is buried there. Did you know how the French chose their unknown soldier? A Lieutenant was picked at random and 6 coffins put before him. Each identical. He stood for ages unable to chose, the generals coughing and stamping behind him. He was in the 123rd (1+2+3 = 6) and his birthday was the 6th. He chose the 6th coffin.

As with all the Verdun forts, Vaux was seriously lacking in fire-power due to the removal of its large guns to help with the war effort further north. In the previous decades, most of the forts had been strenghtened to defend against modern artillery and this included a massive covering of concrete. The ditches were now protected by concrete bunkers at each corner in which machine guns could cover all points of access to the fort. In the case of Vaux, three observation posts were fitted which were protected by heavy steel domes, and a retractable gun turret housing two short barrelled 75mm guns. Two further Bourges casemates were armed with twin 75's. After a heavy bombardment that ended on the 2nd June 1916, the Germans flooded into the ditch surrounding the fort. This bunker was their first objective.

post-79848-0-31688300-1352059621_thumb.j

This photo gives you an idea of how much concrete was poured over the forts to protect them against the dangers of modern warfare!

post-79848-0-98823100-1352061904_thumb.j

And how much steel went into the concrete to strenghten it!

post-79848-0-41744800-1352062035_thumb.j

After strong resistance from the French, the Germans finally managed to gain control of the bunkers. The French were forced to withdraw within the fort and it was here that they made their last stand to defend it. Major Raynal had overseen the construction of barricades within the corridors of the fort, which were backed by machine guns to repel any advance by the enemy.

post-79848-0-69552000-1352063427_thumb.j

Built to accommodate approx. 300 men, the fort now held twice that number. Men that had lost contact with their own units, or in need of medical assistance all made their way inside the fort before the Germans finally took control of the surrounding area. The first-aid station had room for six stretchers. By the end of the siege, 78 men lay wounded. By this time, wounds had become infected and decaying corpses lay in corridors. With no water for the last three days of the siege, men had taken to drinking their own urine, or licking the damp walls to quench their thirst.

post-79848-0-00819200-1352065753_thumb.j

As the French retreated further into the fort, the Germans had by now, moved forward enough to cover the entrance to the main latrines. The men were forced to relieve themselves where they could, thus adding to the overwhelming stench within the tunnels. Chlorine of Lime, previously used to disinfect the lavotories was now being used to burn the corpses of those that it was impossible to bury.

post-79848-0-99989700-1352065952_thumb.j