Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

7 hours ago, museumtom said:

Can you help with this one please. All I can find is one possibility, and that is a S.W.B. sheet. I cannot find any records. he was a Limerick man.

His S.W.B. MAY be;

Laurence
Last name Ryan
Service number 7044
Rank Private
Badge number B1778
Enlistment date 11-Mar-1915
Discharge date 04-Sep-1918
Regiment/unit Irish Guards
Cause of discharge W. Para 392-xvi Army Order (b.i.)
Whether served overseas Yes
Badge date of issue 07-Sep-1918
Age on discharge 24
Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920

image.png.4f60b64872cf6e663454f133be8b8e4e.png

Ah right Craig! sure what are the chances of me making a mistake? Zillions! Sorry George. Can you post a link to the FMP url please?

He is WR317136. Royal Engineers Discharged 27/1/1919. Appendicitis showing as attributable!

Address is same as above on WFA Card.

An SWB Card gives date of discharge of 6/2/19. Service from 30/8/16

Edited by Mark1959

Keep busy...I'm off to Normandy 'till Sunday. May check in before the 'off'

George

Have a great time in Normandy!! What a time to go. 

12 hours ago, museumtom said:

Terrific piece of sleuthing George, I would not have thought of the papers. So he was Motorised Transport which is part of the A.S.C. There are two possibilities. M/371948 and T4-253464. Checking them now.

Bummer, they did not work out.

T4 would have been horse transport Tom.

He would be  an M, M1, M2 or DM2.

(Or rarely C(MT) )

Post war re-enlistment could be EM or EMT

At 22 in 1920, he might not have served abroad to qualify for any medals so might not have a MIC.

Thank you Dyfed, Corisande's link is just the death cert I posted, sadly it has no extra information. Thanks for clarifying the service number, I learn something every day, with the help of your guys and gals. Happy days.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Ancestry puts date of discharge as 24 (or maybe 27th) August 1915, 'No longer physically fit...)

No diagnosis though.

So frustrating, a few letters, including one from Chelsea, but no mention of what the illness was.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks Dyfed, yes the letters are great, frustrating that the critical sheet is nowhere though.

In for a month May-June 1915 "not likely to become an efficient soldier, Same address as Death Cert . Right spouse name. 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO363-4/007378149/00709&parentid=GBM/WO363-4/7378149/29/709

So is he the man enlisted Jan 1916?

Both were Bakers.

Appears so. 

WFA Card (a go-to source now). Correct address. 231190. Labour Coy, Royal Irish Rifles. Discharged 3/8/1918. Diagnosis VDH (Heart issue). On right of card after it say is condition attributable / aggravated the word "aggr" is written. Reverse says 70% disablement as at 7/1920. Fold 3 link

https://www.fold3.com/image/645063326?xid=1022

Edited by Mark1959

Brilliant, Mark!! The sheet was not in his records but folder 3 mentions it. Thank you very much indeed Mark. I have passed them all off the Terry.

Well done to you Mark, he made it through all because of the pension card.

Kind regards.

Tom.

John Condon, using your link go to the left  for 2 or 3 pages, discharged 18/11/1914 unlikely to make efficient soldier.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I have seen that terminology before and the critical sheet shows it was aggravated or attributable to service. It does not always mean he was a naughty boy.

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

Another head scratcher for you if I may please. Can you help?

image.png.9f2ed62e48c46d52f7e17ff73e81b880.png

Private CONNELLY, J  (Note spelling)

Commemorated by CWGC already

Service Number 65529

Died 04/08/1920

2nd Bn.
Royal Scots

1920 KILRUSH (SHANAKYLE) CEMETERY In South-East corner.

Accidentally shot himself : https://www.cairogang.com/soldiers-killed/connelly/connelly.html

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

A great find Dyfed, thank you kindly.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Guess what? yet another John Connolly. S 6512, RNR, can you help please?

image.png.8252755c78a3d106c31f07a90d5a00b0.png

Here is his record - appears to have been invalided in August 1915. -- https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8542721

The medal roll shows that his widow claimed his medals. It also notes his death with an Index Casualty (IC) reference for 1920.

Edited by horatio2

Brilliant, thank you horatio!!

I came across this while researching a lad who died in 1920 and it smacked of a scene from the Exorcist. I though it might be of interest:-

'Was admitted to hospital for observation from the Detention Barracks where he was undergoing a sentence of six calender months  for desertion. Whilst in detention barracks he was noticed to perform various contortions which would seem impossible to a normal individual. He is in good general health and condition. He is suffering Delusional Insanity, which is almost certainly a phase of Dementia Praecox. He performs various mannerisms and stereotyped movements, such as bending his body backwards and turning a complete circle on his feet.''.

He died four years after being sent to the District Asylum from broncho pneumonia, 

image.png.206b5a5274bea333270751115d07448f.png

Not found this John Connolly's records (yet), but maybe a reference  in the records of a Michael Connolly  5363 RFA, of Cranmore Co.Sligo.

Father Michael Connolly, older brothers George & John Connolly, both Connaught Rangers. No other info.

Fair play to you Dyfed, it is so tempting just t accept your research, so tempting but you know we need a bit more. Mores the pity.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Yes, unfortunately all I have been able to do is to find out a bit more about who he was.

There's no medical evidence that I can find.

I wonder if the WFA Pension cards hold anything?

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

image.png.206b5a5274bea333270751115d07448f.png

Not found this John Connolly's records (yet), but maybe a reference  in the records of a Michael Connolly  5363 RFA, of Cranmore Co.Sligo.

Father Michael Connolly, older brothers George & John Connolly, both Connaught Rangers. No other info.

Firstly, I think the WFA deserve a hearty pat on the back for the Pension Ledger Card publication in the last year. A fantastic resource for researchers

Looks as though he is G4535 or poss 94535 Connaught Rangers. Address on card is Walkers Row Sligo. Does not define if attributable etc. Year of birth 1886. Discharged 27/3/19. Rheumatism. In mid 1920 his level of disability is given as 100%. https://www.fold3.com/image/1/645006791

He is noted as deceased on 20/7/20. Presumably the date the Pensions people were notified. 

This Militia attestation appears relevant

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO96/1166/369/001&parentid=GBM/WO96/1166/1572202

Struggling to find anything else at the moment including no SWB. 

Edited by Mark1959

5 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Here is his record - appears to have been invalided in August 1915. -- https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8542721

The medal roll shows that his widow claimed his medals. It also notes his death with an Index Casualty (IC) reference for 1920.

6 hours ago, museumtom said:

Guess what? yet another John Connolly. S 6512, RNR, can you help please?

image.png.8252755c78a3d106c31f07a90d5a00b0.png

Again WFA comes to the rescue

Number given as RV2/6512(S)

Born 1884. Address 35 Gloucester Street. 

Marked as deceased 1/9/20.

Cause of discharge Bronchitis - aggravated or "agg"

https://www.fold3.com/image/1/644986187

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you Dyfed and Mark. Excellent research. If he was discharged with V.D.H. we would be motoring altogether, sadly it is not so I really appreciate all the effort you put in, thank ye kindly indeed, well deserved.

Kindest regards.

Tom.