Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Thomas McGeer 81837  Royal Field Artillery died 23 /10/1918 buried Glasnevin (or Prospect) Cemetery. (CWGC)

Bob

Edited by little bob

45 minutes ago, museumtom said:

perhaps he might turn up as we go through 1919, 1920, and 1921

What???

And there's more?...

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO363-4/007280595/00977&parentid=GBM/WO363-4/7280595/97/977

Enlisted in 1901 as 15598. Home service only. Discharged 1913 (Reserve from 1909). Enlisted 20/8/14. Discharged 6/3/16 Unfit. 2 months in MEF Oct-Dec 1915.

Discharge - Pulmonary

"Not result of active service, climate or ordinary military service. Permanent. Totally prevents"

However there is another report that says some of disability due to dysentery - plus the TB.

"Debility due to active service"

Bob beat me by a short head

Lennon proving tricky! 

Edited by Mark1959

Rix' details as per the CWGC database link posted by Mark:

Private RIX, ALFRED THOMAS

Service Number 37277

Died 02/11/1918

Aged 25

458th Protection Coy.
Royal Defence Corps

Son of William and Jane Rix of 5, Stephens Rd., West Ham.

WEST HAM CEMETERY Screen Wall. 123607 J.C.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

And McGreer's CWGC details as found by Bob:

Gunner McGEER, THOMAS

Service Number 81837

Died 23/10/1918

51st Res. Bty.
Royal Field Artillery

GLASNEVIN (OR PROSPECT) CEMETERY Garden. GE. 171.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Who is 'Lennon'?

George

Hello Dyfed, we are only on 1918, we have 1919, 1920, and 1921 to go yet. Great spot with McGeer!! nice one! Imagine that? the wrong spelling on a death certificate, who woulda thought?

George you are on the ball, I found Lennon pretty quickly so hid the post so you would waste time on it, sorry.

Mark, great link that gave me a lot more information on the man, when we put them both together it looks great! Thanks again!!

So far there are another 700 relative death certs to be done in 1918, 1919 has 998, 1920 has 807 and 1921 has 207. Most I can manage but the hard ones I need your help with. The certs are for Sailors, British Navy and non navy, munition workers, Soldiers, and ex soldiers and N.O.K. for deceased soldiers. So now you know where we are, good aint it? considering over 8,000,000  certs had to gone through to find these possible.

Y'know it is worth it, if we even find just 1 to be remembered!

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

So far there are another 700 relative death certs to be done in 1918, 1919 has 998, 1920 has 807 and 1921 has 207. Most I can manage but the hard ones I need your help with. The certs are for Sailors, British Navy and non navy, munition workers, Soldiers, and ex soldiers and N.O.K. for deceased soldiers. So now you know where we are, good aint it? considering over 8,000,000  certs had to gone through to find these possible.

Y'know it is worth it, if we even find just 1 to be remembered!

Bring 'em on Tom. I've been released from my latest attempt to bring law and order to the locality so I'm free to play.

Craig

Must say not completely convinced by the lawkeepers in the NE! They will catch up with you eventually. You do know that don't you?

George

As far as I can see from your posting FMP

on first page

not attributed to service as regards aneurism

on second page

'may be regarded for pension purposes aggravated by service since declaration of war

(but review in six months-nothing there to say change of medical opinion though)

George

Yes George, it is his bullet wounds that were aggravated by the service not the aneurism that killed him.

13 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Yes George, it is his bullet wounds that were aggravated by the service not the aneurism that killed him. 

Not sure how they decided the bullet wounds were only aggravated by service,.. Army medics were a strange lot at times.

Craig

...and slightly lame! 

George

Yes, the poor ould divil was slightly lame, so would I!

Was the fella still in military service when his aneurysm popped or had he been discharged?

2 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Was the fella still in military service when his aneurysm popped or had he been discharged?

Discharged 10 Oct 16

Craig

Is he the same man as #31 Leicestershire Regiment?

I've looked at #4312 and they appear the same

George

Re: Michael Lewis

Rules again eh?

Report of medical board 26/9/16 states he has an aortic aneyrysm that is the cause of his discharge on 6/10/1916

Deemed to have originated during service, but not caused or aggravated by service.

Dies of same 31/7/1916.

Doesn't qualify for commemoration by CWGC.

Harsh.

29 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Is he the same man as #31 Leicestershire Regiment?

The 'Leicestershire' Regiment didn't half  get some recruits in Dublin didn't they?

They must have had a recruiting office next door to the Post Office!

16 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Re: Michael Lewis

Rules again eh?

Report of medical board 26/9/16 states he has an aortic aneyrysm that is the cause of his discharge on 6/10/1916

Deemed to have originated during service, but not caused or aggravated by service.

Dies of same 31/7/1916.

Doesn't qualify for commemoration by CWGC.

Harsh.

The 'Leicestershire' Regiment didn't half  get some recruits in Dublin didn't they?

They must have had a recruiting office next door to the Post Office!

I pity anyone trying to do research using the service records (I see similar with DLI and HLI)

Craig

OK guys, I got him, he was Francis George McCleery. Imagine that, the wrong name on the DC who would have thought it?

Just now, museumtom said:

OK guys, I got him, he was Francis George McCleery. Imagine that, the wrong name on the DC who would have thought it?

Surprises me every time, Tom.

Craig

Thanks Craig, but his records is not in FMP, just his SWB. I reckon he could be a contender!

G.
Last name McCleery
Service number 550317
Rank Driver
Badge number 198413
Enlistment date 19-Sep-1914
Discharge date 13-Jun-1917
Regiment/unit Royal Engineers 525th Fld. Co.
Cause of discharge 392 (xvi) Sickness
Whether served overseas Yes
Badge date of issue 27-Jun-1917
Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from England, Great Britain

My notes say he was born in Monaghan and lived in East Dulwich

My notes say Discharged with Pulmonary T.B. 12/06/1917. Illness contracted in Belgium while on active service. Francis G-1901 Census, George Francis-Weekly Irish Times. McClarey-1901 Census-McCleery-MIC+Weekly Irish Times+Medical report on FMP+1911 Census. His previous number with the Royal Engineers was T343.

Perhaps the critical sheet is on Ancestry?

Edited by museumtom

More on this lad. I wondered where I got the above information so I did a bit of digging in my old notes and found the I had posted a query on this forum and the page no longer exists but here is the info from it, does this help?

Kind regards.

Tom.

This is no 1343 (later 550317) George McCleery who enlisted in the 2nd London Divisional Engineers 19th Sept 1914, aged 25. Living in East Dulwich at the time. Father is listed as above name and address.

Discharged no longer physically fit 12/6/1917. I cannot make out what is written in his pension record at the moment but there is a note to say as result of active service. There is also a note to say this pensioner died 4th May 1918.