Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

1 minute ago, museumtom said:

Sorry Dai.

I uploaded an image, and it seems once you upload an image and intend to post it you cannot change your mind as there does not seem to be a facility to delete it. So I found the guy I was trying to find before I posted a query, with an attached image and I could not delete it. So with a bit of faffing about I had to post the image and hide it straight away. somehow in my stupidity three words got through.

Having said all that I will attach the image for your reference, see if you can find him. I know who he is. I know you will not need a clue but I am here if you do.

Kind regards and thanks for your concern on how I have been.

Kindest regards. Tom.

1.JPG

To delete an image from a post successfully you need to delete it from the actual post and deleted it from the image attachment box below the post.

Craig

Thanks Craig and Dai.

Have you tried it? It does not work for me. If you reply to this and attach an image and before you post try deleting the image. I cannot do it, or it does not work for me. I would appreciate any formula that will allow this.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

2 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Craig and Dai.

Have you tried it? It does not work for me. If you reply to this and attach an image and before you post try deleting the image. I cannot do it, or it does not work for me. I would appreciate any formula that will allow this.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

If in doubt, Tom, resort to the time tested explanation - the Mods are out to get you  :ph34r:.

Craig

A conspiracy eh? you could be right, sssshhhh the mods might hear you.

14 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Craig and Dai.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

When you upload the image, the thumbnail has a dustbin icon in the botton corner that you click to disappear the pic:

Untitled2.png

Checking...God that was easy. A little bit of information is a dangerous thing. Thank you Dai!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Some of the death certs are easy enough to research but now and then I need your help please guys and lassies.This ex soldier Timothy Richardson, 12529, RDF, died after discharge in 1915. He was discharged with TB and died from it, funnily enough so did his father. Now the thing is in FMP there are lots of his records, Boer War and WW1, but the page that has the medical sheet that asks the question is his TB due to or aggravated by military service is not in them. Perhaps you might know another source that may have this sheet? Unless I find it I am wasting our time putting it forward for IFCP.

I would be very grateful indeed if we could locate the relevant sheet that would allow this to go forward. 

Thank you very much for all and any research you may provide.

Can you help please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

It looks like when he was discharged it was as 'unlikely to make an efficient soldier (medically unfit)' so it was for medical reasons. His intended address is given as a sanatorium at Hazlehatch, Dublin and he was certainly discharged due to TB but it's, once again, that final infuriating piece of evidence.

Craig

I don't know if it's the same records as the Ancestry Pension records, where he has 3 sets of papers relating to attestations in 1897, 1910 & 1914.

And he  was passed fit for service by the Lt. Col. on 31/8/1914.

Sadly, no statement  in these notes either.

He's the same chap as 6209, with his previous stint only ending February 1914 (February 1910- 1914).

Nothing to state he was in any way unfit when discharged then either.

And a previous stint  Dec.1897- Dec. 1909.

Curiously, he has 3 sets of papers under the service records in Ancestry also, which are slightly different, and this one does contain a page stating that the cause of discharge was Tubercle of Lung:

Link

This page states it is an

"Application for Discharge of a Recruit as not likely to become an Efficient Soldier

1) If passed by an examining medical officer, but rejected by an approving officer.

2) If considered unfit for service within three months of enlistment.

3) If a non-European....."

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Bummer.

Thanks lads for trying just the same!. It is so close yet so very far away. Contracting TB during service, being discharged with TB and dying from TB and not qualify for inclusion. The rules are hard, but I will remember him in my files.

Thanks again for looking guys, I appreciate it very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Contracting TB during service, being discharged with TB and dying from TB and not qualify for inclusion.

Probably.

17 years service with only a 6 month break.

So the army would have had to claim he got infected during that break.

But we can't disprove that now.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Just a small note to say how much I appreciate all that you lads and lassie do here in this topic. It is not possible for me to access the databases you guys and gals have. But it is more than that, you are selfless, encouraging, obliging, emphatic, and wise. These death certs, each one has a soldier or a sailor (civilian or Naval) and a few V.A.D.'s and nurses  and even muntion workers thrown in there for good measure, there are over 6000 of these recorded for the 26 counties. Most I can manage but some are way beyond my humble capablities. They are in 8 folders on PDF's, so far, after three weeks I am 75% through the first folder. So this is not a quick fix, short term plea to you. It is going to be a long haul, and I hope a rewarding one. If we manage, through our efforts to add even one soldier, sailor, V.A.D. or nurse to the CWGC it will have been one of the best things you have done in your life. 100 years forgotten is a long time to be forgotten.

This is the type of post I usually write after a few jars, but this time, stone cold sober, I want to say one more time (and I am sure ye are sick to the back teeth hearing it) that I really, sincerely, appreciate your help more than you will ever know.

Kind regards.

Tom.

From me... you are more than welcome Tom. As you say just one remembered person is sufficient to make it worthwhile.

George

It is a gigantic amount of work you have undertaken Tom to even get to this point. Keep up the good work and keep the cases flowing.

Craig

Thanks Guys, I have to admit instead of it being a chore I love every second of it.

Kind regards.

Tom

No 26375, RGA, John Robert Ryan, Died from TB, discharged with TB but the relevant page in his records on FMP is missing. Can you locate it please? Fingers crossed!

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Knowing all your others so far have been died 1915...guessing this one isn't yours?

First Name:John

Surname:Ryan

Incident Date:17/03/1916

Information:Ch. minute 01/02/1916.

Duty Location:Dunree Fort

Date Of Court Martial:11/02/1916

Nature Of Charge:The accused was charged under Section 40 of the 1881 Army Act. This offence is committed by anyone who "Is guilty of any act, conduct, disorder, or neglect to the prejudice of good order and Military Discipline".

Sentence:The accused was reduced to the ranks.

Primary Unit:Royal Garrison Artillery

Secondary Unit:2nd Company (Why is this important?)

Tertiary Unit:Antrim

George

Find my Past has him:

found medically unfit in Malta, surgeon said tuberculosis but not attributable to service-even after that amount of time in forces.

Struggling to download at moment...will return

George

It is also on Ancestry

image.png.c6dea58a5ccbffc692820ea0516d00bb.png

George

Thank you George, he died in 1915 so your man is the wrong guy I am afraid, but I really appreciate your looking him up. The image you posted I did not have so I will put that and his DC to Terry and cross all fingers! I have just now emailed the details to him, and...we wait!

Thanks again George, you are on the ball.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Those two I posted are different John Robert Ryans of course.

George

Gotcha! And do you know something? I already sent him to Terry on 26th of March, feck. Not accepted due to-No evidence illness was due to service.

It was worth a shot.

Thanks George!

The same thing again please, John Ryan, 7422, RIRegt, died aged 37 on 13/09/1915, after discharge. Died from nephritis and septicaemia but I cannot find on FMP his medical sheet that shows his reason for discharge, can you help please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

There are a few more records on ancestry than fmp. He was discharged on 27/8/15 on "termination of first period of engagement" after 13 years 0 days. No medical papers as such.

Served in South Africa 1903-5. Reserve 1905-14. Mobilised 6/8/14. BEF 13/8/14 to 3/9/14 then Home service. These dates maybe wrong as he appears to have been in hospital in Woolwich 29/8/14-2/9/14 with a "fractured right leg (old)" - discharged from hospital for home service

The is a WFA Pension Ledger card - claimant mother Ellen (born 1830) - refused for reason I cannot make out in 1920 

Edited by Mark1959