Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Looks to me as if Thomas Bromnell Gibson was John Leney Gibson's father. JLG's mother Caroline Ormston nee Leney died in 1885. So the younger girls in the censuses are half sisters from TBG's second marriage. JLG was in Worcestershire in the 1911 census working as an assistant schoolmaster, So maybe farmed out after his natural mother died 

See here on fmp

No evidence of service. Wonder if he was a chaplain????

Thank you for trying just the same Margaret.

Hello mark, great finds, thank for very much for them. He is an Assistant School Master, a single man. So he must have married since 1911. You could be right , he may have been a chaplain but so far I dont see it.

Thanks again for all the help pals.

Kind regards.

Tom.

His daughter Nina was born in Dublin in 1916. John is listed as a Gentleman, so was he an officer?

image.png.2648b22b3d262b9414ff4593ea02afa6.png

Marriage registered in Axminster in 2Q,1910 to Katherine Ella (or Eila) Hunter.

Cannot find a commission for him in London Gazette. Not to say there is not one. 

Edited by Mark1959

Excellent, thank you kindly Mark.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Guys and Gals here is the problem. Myself and George cannot read this cause of discharge, and neither can Terry. He is not going forward because of it. Can anyone translate this please? He is John Patrick Murray, Royal Navy, No 276587. Died after discharge at the Royal Dublin Lunatic Asylum, from General Paralysis of the Insane. Certified. Discharged 17/02/1915 from Disease of neuro….yi..(unreadable).

image.png.0e9830ea3fee5526e06d8f3ead6f6015.png

image.png.573404533a037f7066e8d55dea92f187.png

First thoughts are "Disease of nervous system" spelt rong.

Could be 'neurosystem' but not convinced.

Still looking...

Thank you Dyfed and Craig. You opinions are very much appreciated. 

Hello again all. I need your help with this one please. Myself and George cannot find it anywhere  I am looking for the critical sheet or the pension card that says attrib, or caused by. It is not in the links below but they are his records all the same.  He looks like a real contender but the critical sheet eludes us. Can you help please?

image.png.238f131142e5c4e98e389f8d395a4334.png

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&sid=998&lastname=butler&soldiernumber=96812&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

Oh well done Mark.

Still don't get him through searching even though I now know where he is!

Other than the 'long' way of looking down list of William Butlers and spotting changed digit.

George

Fantastic find, thank you Mark! he was particularly difficult. I have great hopes he will now be accepted.

Kind regards.

Tom.

It took me a little while. But if poor short term memory serves I think it was a combo of name, rank (sapper) and corps (not reliable as corps/regiments are not index in a consistent manner - so tried engineer, RE etc). He was the fourth Spr (Sapper) I looked at.

There is no doubt my software, data analyst and database design background helps. Still plugging away on the WFA "Hometown project" that has someway to go. I have a feeling we may start looking at regiments/corps at some point with a view to improving searchability. We are however only looking at those that died at the moment. 

Good man Mark, keep up the great work and thanks again for your help. You find the unfindable.

Kind regards.

Tom.

William Butler has just been accepted. Thank you Mark and George who made it happen. Kind regards.

Tom.

He appears on the register with Mason's data-but Tom's marriage cert is also correct I think.

So Mason-as actual but on official document typed to list registers misread as Mahon?

George

Y'know George and IPT, I think you are right. he is James Mahon? Here is his name in the index.

image.png.212a16963b80d0dd419afe02d2fa7e54.png

Edited by museumtom

I mean, he'd have been a 57 year old soldier, marrying a 20 year old who promptly died. I can't see a death for a Mary J Mason in those 18 months, so i'm inclined to think there's something amiss here.

Thank you IPT still trying to make sense of it all.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Can anybody find a James Mason as a soldier in 1919 who lived in Rathmines-or a soldier who married a Mary Josephine Curtis in 1919? 'Cos I certainly can't turn one up.

George

3 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Can anybody find a James Mason as a soldier in 1919 who lived in Rathmines-or a soldier who married a Mary Josephine Curtis in 1919? 'Cos I certainly can't turn one up.

George

This perhaps.

AABF8011-D42A-455F-BA53-C8982F7E2F5C.jpeg