Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

It only allowed you to submit amendments to existing casualties already in their files is how I read it.

Unless you can find where a new casualty can be submitted?

https://www.cwgc.org/about-us/faqs#Target9

Try this link, Tom (it'll open a pdf from the CWGC site) - https://www.cwgc.org/-/media/files/cwgc/misc/guidance-for-identification-case-submissions.ashx?la=en&hash=3A86D1EB132E30A3D78B16C48EFFCEF4EF0A07A6

Craig

Whatever the merits of this case, it is not the CWGC but the Ministry of Defence (Navy) who determine whether a new case for commemoration has been made.

Thanks Craig and Horatio, I'll send it off in the morning.

Kind regards.

Tom.

OK guys I sent it just now, fingers crossed!

Kind regards.

Tom.

I wondered if you have any ideas on this man, I nearly passed by. He should be listed with the Navy shouid he not please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Is this the man?

1901 Census

Residents of a house 10 in Carrigaline (Liscleary, Cork)

Show all information

Surname Forename Age Sex      Relation to head Religion    Birthplace Occupation                  Literacy  Irish Language  Marital  Status Specified Illnesses

Morrison Michael     46    Male    Head of Family   R Catholic Co Cork   Watchman on Railway Read and write-               Married-

Morrison Mary         40   Female Wife                    R Catholic Co Cork   Housekeeper               Read and write-                Married-

George

Thanks George, you could be right! I reckon below are them in the 1911 Census where Mary morphed into Minnie, as per death cert.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__2/William_Street/392024/

Now if I can find a navy reference for him we would be away in a hack!

Thanks for all your help George!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks horatio, his year of birth should be about 1855 though. I wish it were otherwise. The naval side of research I find particularly tricky but you seem to know where to go to find them.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

The folliwing lad served during the Boer War, discharged in 1906, rejoined the R.M.F. in 01/09/1914 and discharged with T.B. in Jan 1915. I have his pre war service from FMP but wondered if there was anything else out there on him. There is not enough for IFCP to add him yet.

Patrick Tierney, died from Phthisis 3 months certified on 07/08/1915. R.M.F. No 6180 (when he rejoined from the reserve), age at death-40.

He initially joined the R.I.Regt, No 4858 on his 18th birthday 1893.

If I get other medical record that helps his case I will re-submit him.

Can you help please?

I have his pre war stuff from FMP.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Tierney.jpg

Sometimes it just seems like a matter of luck as to whether the medical opinion is that it was caused by or aggravated by service.

How long though does TB take to show it's effects if it doesn't lay dormant after initial infection ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

It looks like they diagnosed (or suspected) malaria whilst he was in India pre-ww1 as it seems he was given quinine.

Craig

Yes indeed, someones opinion. Sure isn't that the way of everything?

I will have a look at the local papers to see if there is anything in them.

Thanks Craig!

Kind regards.

Tom.

OK.

So Tierney was a definite proven TB ("Tubercle bacilli were found to [?be] present").

He was admitted to hospital 6/11/1914, with "Acute bronchitis".

This means he had developed chest symptoms of cough/wheeze/whatever, of pretty recent onset.

A few days, maybe a week or two. A month or six weeks at the very outside otherwise it would be 'Chronic'.

We can say with a fair degree of confidence that his symptoms were not present on 4/8/1914.

But it would be a reasonable bet that he was already infected on that date.

Caused or aggravated by war service? Who knows? As Tom says- Someone's opinion.

If this was a customer who took out insurance starting 4/8/1914,when he was symptom free and put in a claim in November, I know that the insurance company would try their utmost to wriggle out of paying, but the customer I reckon would win his payout.

Great comments Dai, and i totally agree. Its a shame, but I will remember them anyway.

This next one looks really easy, how hard could it be?

I'll tell you one thing, I cannot find him, can you help please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

1 minute ago, museumtom said:

I'll tell you one thing, I cannot find him, can you help please?

OK, now this one's a little different.

It says that he suffered from TB for 10 months before death, so that would be from about November 1914.

This is where a full set of records would help...

I'll look now.

John O'Brien abt 1892 Foxroft St Portarlingtoion, Queens Co 17984 7 R D Fusiliers

Attested Dublin 2/1/1915   Curragh.2/1/15-1/2/15.

Dublin  14/2 -15/3/15 ("28 days in hospital")

Discharged  medically unfit 15/3/1915

Not sure it is him yet.

Pension record:

Link

Edit:  Yes it is Tubercle of lung documented in Pension record.Diagnosed @King George V Hospital,

Dublin.

States cough of about 6 months duration (14/2/1915)- do the math!

And on page 8 or 9:

"This condition is not the result of military service".  sig Lt. Col. RAMC

Case closed here Tom!

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Snap. 17984

We are shooting at the same target Dai

Thank you Dai.

I am looking at him in FMP.

5 hours ago, museumtom said:

his year of birth should be about 1855 though

but it is - below the year of registration.

I do apologise Seajane and horatio, I was looking at the wrong year. 

Please forgive me for missing something right in front of my eyes. I will revisit it again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Dai, he had 78 days service and his medical record says that he had a cough for six months. The medical records say he is to be discharged medically with T.B. which was not as a result of military service, so we are screwed. He will still be in my files, one of the many that are similar, God love them.

Thanks for having a go at it anyway!

Kind regards.

Tom.

On CWGC as:

PARSLOW Lieutenant AJ  Wednesday, April 7, 1915 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY CE. Officers. 3. View record Royal Engineers United Kingdom
Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Sorry Dai.

I uploaded an image, and it seems once you upload an image and intend to post it you cannot change your mind as there does not seem to be a facility to delete it. So I found the guy I was trying to find before I posted a query, with an attached image and I could not delete it. So with a bit of faffing about I had to post the image and hide it straight away. somehow in my stupidity three words got through.

Having said all that I will attach the image for your reference, see if you can find him. I know who he is. I know you will not need a clue but I am here if you do.

Kind regards and thanks for your concern on how I have been.

Kindest regards. Tom.

1.JPG

How did you do that even before I posted?

I am among giants, GIANTS I tells ya.

Thanks Dai!

Kind regards.

Tom.