Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Thanks for trying Barry, its a real toughie. An enigma wrapped up in a quandary wrapped up in a mystery wrapp....

Morning all from a wet and wintry Tipperary. 

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/650722/mcdonnell,-/

This lad is recorded as dying on 20/11/1920, but he is listed in May 1920 as having died of malaria. This is 6 months before he died. In 1921 he is also listed as having died in May-

Irish Examiner, 20/05/1921.-In memory of my dear son, James McDonnell, who died on May(sic) 20th, 1920, at Military Hospital, Cairo, Egypt. Inserted by his loving mother, sisters, and brother.

Can you help please?

'Morning all. I am hoping you can help me once again. I had a look at John Vincent Murphy, R.D.F., F/5789, discharged in 1918 but he is listed as a private and he signed for something in his records in 1921, so it is not him. I know John Murphy is probably the hardest name you will ever look for, and I apologize in advance for the frustration. The newspaper snippet is from 30/08/1920.

image.png.3a59e8fa80b97befb58a3a6adff5f9ee.png

image.png.9bdf454591ff3cab8f4566884e33940d.png

Can you help please?

Edited by museumtom

Sorry Mark, it is Cork City. I was out walking the dog, otherwise I would have replied sooner.

Edited by museumtom

On 25/10/2019 at 18:56, museumtom said:

Morning all from a wet and wintry Tipperary. 

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/650722/mcdonnell,-/

This lad is recorded as dying on 20/11/1920, but he is listed in May 1920 as having died of malaria. This is 6 months before he died. In 1921 he is also listed as having died in May-

Irish Examiner, 20/05/1921.-In memory of my dear son, James McDonnell, who died on May(sic) 20th, 1920, at Military Hospital, Cairo, Egypt. Inserted by his loving mother, sisters, and brother.

Can you help please?

Terry should be able to fix that up for you, Tom, as the CWGC paperwork attached to the entry confirms May

Thank you Bardess. Terry has been informed and the correction is lined up for the next meet with the CWGC.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Ignore this lad, we looked at him before, we did not find him, sorry about that and thank you for looking!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

This Sergeant was in the RFA, and all I can find is his MIC but no number, or records. Can you help please?

image.png.2f0cda8d0c018e84ac2156d1b83712af.png

image.png.71c7eda8365a60d13bfe2084d7bbc4db.png

Morning Tom

This may help from Ancestry

Name: William Nicholls
[William O'farrell] 
Birth Date: abt 1880
Birth Place: St Kevens, Dublin
Document Year: 1900
Regimental Number: 26173
Regiment Name: Royal Field Artillery
Form Title: Short Service Attestation

George

As far as I can see he attested 9/1902 in Clonmel, served with BEF and was discharged in 9/1915 having completed his first period. Thirteen years seems an odd period of time though. The Ancestry file is very confused as it includes Nicholls, William Henry then goes on to someone called Nixon who was discharged 'unlikely to...'.

This is what's on FMP...

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&firstname=william&firstname_variants=true&lastname=nicholls&soldiernumber=26173&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

George

And on Forces War Records

First Name:
William
Surname:
O'Farrell
Serjeant
Archive Reference:
WO 372/15/29216
(Can be found at The National Archives in Kew, and contains First World War, War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index)

George

Goodness me George you are on the ball this wet and windy Irish morning. Than you for all that, it is so very much more than I had.

Thank you kindly for all your help.

Tom.

Been near Toronto and then Boston Ma for three weeks so refreshed for more challenges!

And it's windy and wet in Suffolk too...

George

Thank you George, Toronto and Mass, nice. I hope the weather gets better in Suffolk!

Sure you can't beat an ould mystery of a winters evening, begor! Looks simple does it not? Can anyone get a handle on this lad please?. Don't find him too quickly though, I would like to keep a little decorum and dignity if possible.

Can you help please?

image.png.6bbc300bea7f9ccfd46d56b124c944f3.png

He is listed in I.M.R. on the left of the image. I reckon they picked it up from the papers.

image.png.bdd9d43c9e14ddfdef295316720ff2a6.png

Patrick James  Coleman served as  Pte., James White 10296  Royal Irish Rifles.  James White is recorded by the CWGC,

Bob

Evening Tom,

He's a tricky one isn't he?

Irish Examiner, we talking Cork area?

No exact match in CWGC.

The closest are about 3 Patricks killed on that day.

Any possibility the surname might be wrong? -Mother's maiden name or something like that?

Only 1 MIC for a Patrick Coleman in The R I Rifles, 8026, 2nd Bn, but he was listed as a POW, so unlikely he was going to get killed in 1917.

No service record or pension record for a match.

Sadly I don't have a sub for Soldiers Died in the Great War.

Edit: Good spot Bob.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thank you Bob and Dyfed, it was a tricky one to be sure. Thank you both for your help.

You got me Bob, how do you know they are one and the same?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Dyfed, Bob send me information fro the effects which shows alias Patrick Coleman. Sure what chance does a fell have. I am surrounded by giants, thank you both.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Mornin' all? I hope the weather is better in your area than here in Tipperary. I cannot find anything on these man, they may even be civilians. Can you help please?

image.png.12731da080c3035b6aab830720317fce.pngimage.png.f8fc3e180b05603aef71873d09548eb3.png

Thank you Mark.

The obits are in a Cork/Dublin newspaper. Richard Begley, and Patrick White are the names. They do not give next of kin or service details. They both died on 13th June, 1917.