Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

This should be an easy one, but I cannot find him, can you help please?

1.JPG

This your boy?

View Image

Not unless he's Canadian!!

George

Edited by George Rayner

That's great George, thank you kindly. I cannot read it though, is he buried in Ireland?

Kind regards.

Tom.

No... I was a little trigger happy! Bad error on my part!

George

No problem George, I got excited once, the less said about that the better................

After a little more consideration I wonder whether this is your man...

Name: John A Houston

Birth Year: abt 1895

Relation to Head: Son

Residence Date:2 Apr 1911

Townland/Street: Tamniaran

District: Castledawson

County: Londonderry

Household Members:

Name                      Age

John Houston            56

John A Houston        16

Mary Houston           14

Carrie Houston          12

Augustus S Houston 10

Albert E Houston        8

But uncertain of Irish counties relative positions and amount of movement

George

Thanks George, there lies the question. I don't know if it is him or not as the only reference is his death cert, But it could be!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello all again. I sent his lad to Terry, IFCP, to see what he says, and he says there is no record of him. Can this be true please? Clogherhead is in County Louth.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

It looks good to me Craig. Thank you for searching.

Terry says R.N.R. records are notoriously difficult to find. So I said I would put it here and hope that he might be found.

Thanks for all your help Craig!.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Just had a look in the Ancestry index for RNR records.

Can't see him, but lots of Lynches from the 1870s-90s from Clogher/heaad.

Are there any medals I wonder? Mercantile Marine etc.

Can't see anything relevant on the National Archive ebsite.

Thanks Lads and Lassies. I will keep him in my files with the others that cannot be found. They will still be remembered.

Thanks for all your help and for taking the trouble to search for me.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

This could be he - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8682487   (N.B. LAURENCE Lynch)

This is an absolutely dreadful scan of his RNR record - original at the Fleet Air Arm Museum but not obtainable for another year at least.

He seems to have been discharged medically unfit in early 1915 having first enrolled in March 1910.

The RNR Medal Roll (ADM 171/122) shows an Index Casualty (I.C.) reference for 1919 with his WW1 trio of medals issued to his father.

Edited by horatio2

What a find! Great sleuthing Horatio, and thank you kindly. I have sent the link on to Terry. That's should nail it now and he should be accepted I reckon.

A great result, thank you very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom/.

Thanks you very indeed to Bob for his kind PM which has been passed on to Terry.

From I.F.T.C.P,.-

'Most of his record is unembodied service on fishing boats. His only RN ship was the last, Lucy McKay (a hired drifter) and there is no war service listed though he was on this ship in July 1914. He was invalided in February 1915 so could have been embodied.

However, his TB was obviously pre-existing at that early stage of the war. Pre-existing conditions do not qualify.

So, we won’t progress this one without evidence of his illness being service caused.'

So now we put one foot in front of the other and move to the next one, guys and gals.It was worth a shot, but life is a learning experience.

Kind regards.

Tom,

51 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Pre-existing conditions do not qualify.

That cannot be correct.

Recognition is given by the CWGC for any death caused or aggravated by war service.

How can any condition be aggravated by war service unless it existed before?

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

his TB was obviously pre-existing at that early stage of the war. Pre-existing conditions do not qualify.

I agree with DByS.

Can a medical expert please explain how this man's TB has been diagnosed as pre-war? Do we now have to assume that any man with six months war service or less (like Seaman Lynch RNR) must have contracted the disease in his civilian employment before mobilisation or enlistment? There was a recent thread spelling out how difficult it is to pin down when and where TB is contracted I think DByS contributed to the discussion but I cannot locate the thread.

I understand everyone's views and totally respect them. I don' agree with Terry but he is the gate I have to get through. I don't argue with him, its his ballgame, its his ball. Laurence Lynch will be remembered in my files where the criteria for inclusion is less stringent than the C.W.G.C.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I will certainly try, if I knew how to do so Bob.

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

I agree with DByS.

Can a medical expert please explain how this man's TB has been diagnosed as pre-war? Do we now have to assume that any man with six months war service or less (like Seaman Lynch RNR) must have contracted the disease in his civilian employment before mobilisation or enlistment? There was a recent thread spelling out how difficult it is to pin down when and where TB is contracted I think DByS contributed to the discussion but I cannot locate the thread.

Thank you horatio2,

It was this thread:

In that thread, I tried to explain that it was not possible retrospectively to state when a particular infectious episode began.

In that case, I tried to show it was not possible to prove that a case occurring many years later had been caused as a result of active service between 1914-18.

In the current case, the principle is the same, trying to prove when this disease commenced. The soldier dies of TB, and it is asserted that this was a condition that existed at the time of his enlistment. That might possibly be the case but (unless there is documented evidence in his service record, or elsewhere, and I admit I have not read his service record), that assertion cannot be proved.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr