Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Pure speculation of course. Could someone somewhere have confused what was said in the 1918 article? The gravestone has me baffled. Why is the father's date of death wrong?

I wonder if there is book of the monumental inscriptions for the churchyard. Could B P Cumine's name be inscribed an a family gravestone and someone has assumed that he is buried there? But why 1918 as the date of death?

RM

1918 is not the date of death its the date of burial. Beats me why the dod of the father is wrong. The assumption that William is buried there is based on the various spelling and versions of his name and that his burial is registered in 1918 in that cemetery. This cannot be established until I can access the grave registers.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Regarding

First name(s) B
Last name Parkinson-Cumine
Death year 1918
Death day -
Death month -
Burial Ground St Comgall’s Church of Ireland Newtownbutler
Notes PARKINSON-CUMINE B. (St Comgall’s Church of Ireland Newtownbutler County Fermanagh Ireland) Died during the Great War 1914-1918
County Fermanagh
Record set Ireland Memorial And Burial Register, 1618-2005
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Burials
Collections from Ireland

Transcriptions copyright Kabristan Archives

About the database;-

About Ireland memorial and burial register, 1618-2005

Preserving the details of gravestone inscriptions, these memorial records from Kabristan Archives contain the details of almost 41,500 individuals. The bulk of these records date between 1618 and 2005. The full memorial inscription for each gravestone is included. As well as the name of the deceased, additional family names are often included. Other details recorded can include cause of death and the profession of the deceased. 

The counties covered by these records are some of the least well represented in other online resources making this a valuable addition to the findmypast collection records for Irish family history. Areas covered by this data are as follows: 

So lads and lassies. It could be that it is just a name on a memorial and not a burial. To nail it down I have emailed FMP and requested an image of the original to see if it is a headstone, burial or memorial. Have we been barking up the wrong tree?  Time will tell.

You have all been very patient, helpful and generous with your time and efforts for which I am most grateful.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Just keeping you up to date. All is quiet on the Western Front. No reply from the Vicar or FMP, I am still waiting but dont hold out much hope at this stage. Thank you all for your time and effort. It really is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Thank you Mike, much appreciated. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

H

9 hours ago, Skipman said:

Don't see his death on Scotlands People, not to say it isn't there.  Attached is from May 1945, a newspaper report relating to a son.

Mike

temp cumine.PNG

Captain Parkinson-Cumine was killed in Korea in 1954, when his father was still alive. I have so far found B D Parkinson-Cumine still alive in 1956. There is a picture of him with some A Special Constables in the Ballymena Weekly Telegraph of 8 April 1922. I have also found a report of his MC. There are a lot of newspaper reports mentioning him since as District Inspector he prosecuted. I have more to go through.

One Parkinson-Cumine (at least) died in 1918 - Catherine Parkinson Cumine (sic), 25 March 1918, Killough. I think she was B D's great aunt.

Incidentally the newspapers seem to manage to vary the spelling of Deane/Dean/Deans a great deal!

RM

Thanks lads. Its difficult when they spell their names as differently as possible in all the variations. It certainly does not make it easy for us.]

Kind regards.

Tom.

41 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Not sure you're correct with date of the son, which appears to have been 29th November, 1950, which makes more sense for the Korean War. Also not sure if that alters any date of death possibilities for the father?

Mike

Very careless of me; I was going by the date of the newspaper! I suspect it was probably to do with a memorial. I was too busy noticing that the father was referred to as "Major B D ...." not "the late Major...." in both articles. He seems to have been alive in 1956 when he became the treasurer of something in Belfast.

RM

18 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Very careless of me; I was going by the date of the newspaper!

RM

Don't worry rolt, no-one does "careless" quite like me :lol:

Mike

47 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Very careless of me; I was going by the date of the newspaper! I suspect it was probably to do with a memorial. I was too busy noticing that the father was referred to as "Major B D ...." not "the late Major...." in both articles. He seems to have been alive in 1956 when he became the treasurer of something in Belfast.

RM

Benjamin Deane Parkinson-Cumine (30), Major R.I.S.C, married Florence Mary Cumine (27) on 03 September 1921 at St John's Church, Blackheath.

Benjamin Deane Parkinson-Cumine died 26 May 1964 at Downshire Hospital Downpatrick. See  #140.

His son was Captain Ralph Nicholas Parkinson-Cumine MC. Birth registered Jul-Sep 1922 in Woolwich and died 29 November 1950.

Plaque in St Anne's  Church, Killough. See #141.

Benjamin's brother - William Deane Butler Parkinson-Cumine born 22 March 1893 and the subject of this topic - served as Butler P Cumine with the CEF. Reported missing 13 May 1915 and 07 July 1916 was presumed to have died, for official purposes, on or since 24 April 1915. He may have been a casualty at the Battle of St Julien.  

JP

Good detective work lads, thank you very much. I still have not heard anything back from the Vicar or FMP.

Kindest regards.

Tim.

• 1 year later...

I have ve found B.P. Cumine for you! I am his relative and I inherited his medals. I think he is a great-great-uncle, but I cannot quite remember! I will look it up. Anyway, photos here.

3871AC3C-FCFF-4373-A63C-43869C8DA524.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Hi

B.P.Cumine, Pte. 16532 7th Batt. Canada CEF. Presumed dead  24.4.15., Menin Gate Memorial.

War Graves register has name and address "Canon  G.G.P. Cumine, Newtown Butler, Co.Fermanagh, Ireland"

Butler Parkinson Cumine, father..George Gardner Parkinson Cumine 1848-1916.   Full name William Deane Butler Parkinson-Cumine.

Register shows location of Unit at time of Casualty "Vicinty of St.Julien"

Regards Barry

Apologies to all previous "posters".... should have gone to a certain opticians.

Edited by The Inspector

I haven't read every word of this long thread but I was struck to find that there are links to my grandfather's brothers.

Morter - my gt unc 2nd Lt 4Bn KLR was apprenticed to Morter and Dobie, architects and surveyors, The Temple, Dale Street, Liverpool. The senior partner was Sydney Pelham Morter who served as a Lt Col in the Royal Artillery during the war.            As both were Liverpool residents I assume your Morter was a relative.

Major Benjamin Deane Pelham Cumine, OC 60 Coy since 7.4.1917(WO 339/11539). My other gt unc was a 2Lt in 60 Coy MGC - his letters mention PC quite a bit

(another coincidence is that I live bot far from the church that BDPC was married in!)

Edited by JulianB

• 1 month later...

OK I got it, it is Jenner. I think that is who it is. Sorry guys and gals. His name is George Henry Jenner, sure what chance does a guy have.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Good morning all. I am hoping you can help me once again, or I say lots of times again. I spent the last four months going through the death certs for the 26 Counties looking for candidates for the In From The Cold Project, I am also including 'the Gray Area' which would include, among others Munition Workers and soldiers who died at home after discharge between 1914 to Dec 1921. I hoped that most of them would be an easy ride but the first one, the very first one I looked at I could not nail down. Can you help identifying this father listed on his sons DC please?

1.JPG

Tom,

I’m wondering if you have come across Patrick Joseph Ryan 10157, 2nd Battalion Irish Guards, Died of pneumonia/influenza on 21st February 1919. On his way home on leave. We are fairly sure he died in Kilkenny. He is buried somewhere in Bennettsbridge, County Kilkenny.

We are submitting him to the In From The Cold Project.

We can’t find his death cert.

Thanks

Margaret

Edited by Margaretnolan

Hello Margaret. There is no death cert in the Irish Archives for this soldier. Sorry.

Cheers.

Tom.

6 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Hello Margaret. There is no death cert in the Irish Archives for this soldier. Sorry.

Cheers.

Tom.

Hello Tom. 

When you say in the Irish Archives, do you mean gró in Roscommon? 

Thank you 

Margaret 

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Tom. I'v searched that and applied to gró. But nothing. 

Someone told me that overseas military deaths are held separately and should be in Kew. Might that be the case. 

Haven't contacted them yet. 

Margaret 

This on Ancestry...

Name: Private Edgar Hamilton Beach

Birth  Date:1871

Birth  Place: Fordingbridge, New Forest District, Hampshire, England

Death Date:18 Jul 1915

Death  Place : County Dublin, Ireland

Cemetery: Grangegorman Military Cemetery

Burial or Cremation Place: Cabra, County Dublin, Ireland

Is that your man?

George

...or possibly the same man; 1911 Census

Name: Edgar Hamilton Beach

Age in 1911:40

Estimated birth year: abt 1871

Relation to Head: Head

Birth Place: Salisbury

Civil Parish: Bournemouth

Search Photos: Search for 'Bournemouth' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection

County/Island: Hampshire

Street address:66 Stourvale Rd, Pokesdown, Bournemouth

Marital status: Married

Registration district: Christchurch

George

Excellent research George well done and thank you very much!. It shows how much the correct spelling helps. You are on the ball.

Kind regards.

Tom.