Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

museumtom

I need you help again lads and lassies.

ss002d6252
1 minute ago, George Rayner said:

Evening

is there a comment in the margin ? (just wondering what the symbol next to the RAMC on Parker and the record below indicates).

Strikes me that that has been commented on in another thread as a way that the 'clerk' indicates the record has been checked but I can't track sown where it was I saw it!

Why do your think it says RAMC?

George

My typo - should say RMLI.

Craig

George Rayner

Thanks Craig-makes more sense

George

George Rayner

I don't think it will help the search but I suspect it's a T not a J looking at Thomas Steel and John Abbott. But as there are no Parker records anyway...

Do we know the units that were onboard at the time? Could that give us a lead? And I suppose there isn't a 'passenger' list as it was an RN ship

George

George Rayner

The annotation

medal card - cross with dots notation

By Katherine, 11 October , 2014 in Interpreting documents

George

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

little bob

Going through the casualty list there were 33 members of the Royal Marine Light Infantry.

Bob

museumtom

Its all latin to me George,

Dai, I came across all the Connemara casualties death certs, and why they are not recognised is beyond me. As I remember, besides the crew and other army personnel, one particular Army Captain died on it with his family and he is the only one remembered.

Apologies for not coming back sooner but I was shampling some raspberry and apple wine, thatsh 18 proof and rather easy to dhrink. Two glasses ( they wern't small) nd I am away with the fairies, and I don't even believe in them! At a euro a bottle you don't mind spending the money if you get the quality.

Thanks for all the help lads!

Kind regards.

Tom.

horatio2

The closest name among LAURENTIC casualties is  Steward Ernest G PARK, an MMR rating.

seaJane

This may be a complete red herring, but CWGC has a James Parker RMLI of HMS ORAMA, died 01/02/1917, for whom I can find nothing in Discovery.

Could he have been accidentally lumped in with Laurentic's casualties at some point?

https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-08-HMS_Orama.htm died of falling into no.3 hold.