Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Same man has an earlier RAMC record too.

Gabriel
Last name    Byrne
Birth year    1888
Birth parish    Arran Quay
Birth town    Dublin
Birth county    Dublin
Birth country    Ireland
Service number    2951
Regiment    Royal Army Medical Corps
Year    1907
Attestation date    14 Sep 1907

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f1283%2f290%2f004&parentid=gbm%2fwo96%2f1283%2f1598296

Craig and Paul that's a great bit of searching. Thank you very much indeed. Paul, I dont have access to Ancestry and your searches are very much appreciated. Craig you have me confused, how did you find that on FMP and I could not? What is your secret?

Thanks again from an incompetent gobseen.

Kind regards.

Tom. (Red faced). Call be Redser in future I think.

I use this url to search and suing your service number he does not appear.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&collection=first+world+war&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

17 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Craig and Paul that's a great bit of searching. Thank you very much indeed. Paul, I dont have access to Ancestry and your searches are very much appreciated. Craig you have me confused, how did you find that on FMP and I could not? What is your secret?

Thanks again from an incompetent gobseen.

Kind regards.

Tom. (Red faced). Call be Redser in future I think.

I use this url to search and suing your service number he does not appear.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&collection=first+world+war&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

It's easier using the Advanced Search - https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-military-armed-forces-and-conflict/and_first-world-war?firstname=gabriel&firstname_variants=true

Buy you're right Tom, it doesn't seem to show up easily in searches and, trying again, it's very difficult to locate it. Trying Service Number + wildcards on the name is not presently showing it for me. Very odd...

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you Craig for keeping me on the straight and narrow. I have saved your search page and will use that in future, you are a star, thank you kindly.

Tom.

Just now, museumtom said:

Thank you Craig for keeping me on the straight and narrow. I have saved your search page and will use that in future, you are a star, thank you kindly.

Tom.

No guarantee it'll help at the moment though ! I have been having major access issues with FMP over the last few days so hopefully there's just a temporary search engine issue.

Craig

Y;know I seem to be having the same issue, saved search pages give a message service no longer available

Sorry to disturb you on this cold and wintry day here in the Emerald Isle. Can you help with this man please?

He is a Waterford man, so I reckon he might have service after August 1914. I have trawled FMP without success, can you locate him please?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Sorry to double up, but the essential medical page that shows the cause of discharge is missing from the file of 961 Frederick Charles Coghlan on FMP. Would there be any chance that the necessary page exists somewhere else please? It should say caused by or aggrevated by war service.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Apologies Dai, he is 3811 Thomas Coffee, not John as it says on the Cert. There is a note on the side that corrects it. Sorry about that, how silly of me.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Just now, museumtom said:

Apologies Dai, he is 3811 Thomas Coffee, not John as it says on the Cert. There is a note on the side that corrects it. Sorry about that, how silly of me.

Kind regards.

Tom.

OK

Yes that is him, the necessary page on him is not in FMP, if it exists at all.

Coghlan's Pension record is quite thin on Ancestry.

Was in the army from August t0 November 14.

Abnormalities listed-

2/9/14- False teeth, suppuration of gums.

18/9/14 - Orchitis, he says from hitting the boys on the pommel of his saddle.

5/10/14 - Orchitis - very little swelling.

Was discharged November11th 1914. Doesn't list any other medical conditions unfortunately.

Thank you humbly Dai, it was worth a shot. Thank you for your time and effort, I do appreciate it very much.

Kind regards.

Tom,.

Ancestry.

Thomas Coffey 3811

Discharged 9th April 1915 " No longer physically fit for War Service Para.392 (XVI) KR"

Later:

a)Rheumatism

b)Paroxysmal tachycardia

Blah. blah   "Probably the result of military service".

Unfortunately, not what he died of.

Still reading...

Morning

this might help for Coghlan

George

...but maybe not

George

Bummer, thank you kindly for the document George, sadly it will not allow him to go forward.

This next one looks easy peasy and a doddle, well nothing I post in here is easy. If it is posted in here it has totally defeated me into oblivion!

Can you hack this soldier, it should be simple, now where have I heard that before?

Thank you for any help you can provide in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Thanks George,

The FMP images are far superior to Ancestry, and much easier to read.

'Not so caused' [by Military Service].

A great shame.

You know, if somebody died today of fulminant TB, and their medical records revealed that a year previously, they'd had uninvestigated joint pain and irregular heart rate and obvious lymph glands in the neck, the case would be indefensible.

Different times.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Them's the rules, mores the pity Dyfed. I have saved him with the other Irishmen though. Thank you for trying though!!

The lad above I found him believe it or not he was Private Frederick John Gilkes, it does not even rhyme with Collins!!

Kindest regards.

Tom.

As he has CWGC burial...

First Name: Frederick John

Initials: F J

Surname: Gilkes

Birth Town: Lambeth, Surrey

Resided Town: Camberwell

Nationality: British

Date of Death: 06/09/1916

Fate: Died of Wounds at Home

Service Number: 8795