Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ZEEBRUGE RAID

SEASIDER

Does anyone have a list of volunteers for this raid? i have just acquired a group of 4 to K18888 G. H. PHILP. STO 1. R.N. (WW1 trio & navy LSGC) The victory medal does have a M.I.D oakleaves on the ribbon, i was told he was on the Zeebruge Raid, can anyone confirm this for me? any info much appreciated.

Towerboy,

Dominic Walsh (domwalsh) is probably the man to ask - send him a PM.

sJ

I can confirm that Philp was in the Zeeburgge Raid and, like all naval personnel aboard the Vindictive, Iris and Daffodil, particpated in the ballot for the award of the VC. This went to Albert McKenzie. He was MID for the raid, as you know. I will check my files to see if I have a note of what ship he was on, and whether he was part of the storming parties, or ship's crew. The record of service may not tell you.

Best,

Dom

Right, have now checked my records. The Western Times dated 29.4.18 mentions "two Brixhamites AB Lawrence and George Philp, both Vindictive". It adds: "Young Philp was one of the stokers."

Cheers, Dom

The Western Times of June 18th notes that Stoker Philp and AB Lawrence were presented with "handsome gold watches and chains" in recognition of their volunteering to take part in the raid.They were presented at the town hall to loud cheers. It notes that Philp had fought at Jutland.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000265/19180618/010/0003?_=1351719744391&noTouch=true

You can register free to get the above link or PM me and I will email you the second article.

Dom

Cheers Dom, i receieved your PM, I will forward some pictures of the medals, also a silver cup engraved G.PHILP.LDG.STO.and RODMAN CUP, won by HMS TIGER 1930, a little silver oar with HMS EXETER 1932, a named G.PHILP silver medal with ILLUSTRIOUS AND RENOWN CUPS, HMS AJAX STOKERS CUTTER1922-1923, and some little bronze medals WHALER TROPHY 1932 etc.

• 2 years later...