Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Children Named After The War

IPT

9003 William Geoghegan was married to Ellen née Regan in 1913. She was pregnant when war was declared. He was in the Special Reserve, as documented by the medal roll.

His unit deployed to Vendresse on 18 September 1914, fighting in the Battle of the Aisne. Eight days later, he was killed. The next day, the battalion came out of the line. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the war monument at La Fère sous Jouarre

When his daughter was born on 2 January 1915 she was named Christine Vendresse Geoghegan.

Between 1914 and 1920 75 babies received the christian name Ypres in England and Wales.

In the same period 54 were named Mons.

6 were named Armentieres.

I lost count with Verdun, must be going on towards 1000, including my mother's uncle.

29 Aisne;s

5 Antwerp's

45 Arras's

2 Yser's

6 Neuve's

1 Chapelle.

28 Loos

15 Somme

15 Vimy

3 Messines

12 Cambrai

Edited by sadbrewer

4 hours ago, Moonraker said:

As we've occasionally wandered just a little from the OP's original question, I venture to continue to do so and submit

Sarah Mafeking Smith

Over 700 children in the UK got Mafeking as a first or middle name in 1900 alone.

The sheer number of Verduns surprises me, given the British Army wasn't actually involved.

There must have been enormous newspaper coverage of the battle at the time to generate such popularity.

17 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Between 1914 and 1920 75 babies received the christian name Ypres in England and Wales.

In the same period 54 were named Mons.

6 were named Armentieres.

I lost count with Verdun, must be going on towards 1000, including my mother's uncle.

29 Aisne;s

5 Antwerp's

45 Arras's

2 Yser's

6 Neuve's

1 Chapelle.

28 Loos

15 Somme

15 Vimy

3 Messines

12 Cambrai

Ypres was particularly popular in Wales (I knew of one in my town).

The most recent Ypres birth according to FreeBMD (up to 31/12/1992) was in 1968.

Other most recent births:

Vimy 1940

Somme 1932

Verdun 1989

Loos 1932

Louvain 1984

• 2 months later...

I see there are quite a few "Aubers" "Krithia's" "Suvla's" all born in 1915. There is also a Neuve Chapelle Locke, born in 1915 in Salisbury. Plenty of "Loos" in 1915, including a Loos Ypres Breckon born in 1915 in Yorkshire. I see there is Festubert Rogers, he was born in 1915 and was killed in Tunisia in 1942 whilst serving with The Buffs.

Cheers

Edited by RedCoat

• 4 months later...