Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Children Named After The War

IPT

As a child in the sixties, the landlord of our village local had the splendid name of Sidney Verdun Sugg. His name was broadcast to all on the licensee's plate above the jug and bottle' - where I queued to redeem tuppence on Dad's Courage Light Ale empties.

Having been told he was named for a significant battle for years afterwards I thought Verdun was the scene of a great British victory

Tim

Stanley Verdun Sugg was born on 19th June 1916 in Yeovil, Somerset, just 3 days before the dreadful gas attack on the French at Verdun.

Sandie

Having been told he was named for a significant battle for years afterwards I thought Verdun was the scene of a great British victory

I must admit I wondered about that.

It was by far and away the most popular of all the names mentioned. I can find 2253 Verduns born in 1916. compared to none in 1913.

I must admit I wondered about that.

It was by far and away the most popular of all the names mentioned. I can find 2253 Verduns born in 1916. compared to none in 1913.

Perhaps it was because, on the face of it, 'Somme' would have been an inappropriate name to adopt for celebration.

More than a touch of irony here as Verdun claimed around 700,000 casualties of whom 162,440 were dead or missing French and 143,000 dead or missing Germans. This figure of 304,500 men killed makes stark comparison with the total of 444,000 British Empire dead for the whole of WW2.*

* Statistics from The Road to Verdun . Ian Ousby.

Indirectly related to this topic is all the French places with "rue Petain" or similar, most of which have now been renamed following his fall from grace (there is a thread on this aspect on the Forum) but I presume that many French children were given that name after WW1, just as we have seen children in Britain named in the previous posts.

Once worked with a Frenchman whose forenames names were Jean Joffre, he was generally (no pun intended) known as JJ

Ned Flanders??

There was a RAFSgt Observer taken as a POW early in the Second World War..He was injuried and had a foot amputated effecting early repatriation in 1943.

He was a few months old when his father was killed on the Great War.In memory of his father he was given the first name of European.

I also had a late colleague with the middle name of Kitcher and a late uncle of mine was named with a second name of Redvers after the Boer War era General, Redvers Buller,a fellow Devonian i believe.

I also had a late colleague with the middle name of Kitcher and a late uncle of mine was named with a second name of Redvers after the Boer War era General, Redvers Buller,a fellow Devonian i believe.

Given his general ineptitude in the South African War I'm surprised that children were being named after him.

Adding to IPT’s very interesting post, the following names are from the CWGC site which is, in all likelihood, not a comprehensive record of those people with a name which had a direct link to a First World War battle and who lost their lives during or shortly after the Second World War : -

Arras Leonard Cogan 17/03/1941 Civilian

Arras Loos Simpson 15/11/1942 Engine Room Artificer Royal Navy

Arras Henry Worle 13/09/1943 Corporal Somerset Light Infantry

Mons Teaney 05/07/1942 Greaser Merchant Navy

Mons Layfield Benson 21/11/1942 Private Queens Royal West Kent

Mons FM Weight 13/08/1944 Private Devonshire Regiment

Verdun Loos James Pierpoint 14/10/1939 Marine Royal Marines

Verdun Bishop 09/01/1940 Aircraftsman 2c RAF

Verdun George Ellis 25/06/1940 Ordinary Seaman Royal Navy

Verdun Charles Green 21/08/1940 Fireman & Trimmer Merchant Navy

Verdun Rapp 05/02/1941 Stoker Royal Naval Patrol Service

Verdun (Sonny) Chapman 08/04/1941 Trooper Royal Armoured Corps

Verdun Hood Slavin 22/06/1941 Signaller SA Corps of Signals

Verdun Victor Skerman 14/09/1941 Sergeant RAAF

Verdun Wallace 14/12/1941 Private Leicestershire Regiment

Verdun Charles MW Burrows 19/12/1941 Marine Royal Marines

Verdun James Wicks 27/01/1942 Private Australian Infantry

Verdun Reginald Blackwell 01/03/1942 Able Seaman Royal Australian Navy

Verdun Pearce 02/03/1942 Ordinary Seaman Royal Navy

Verdun Arthur Godfrey 26/03/1942 Leading Aircraftsman RNZAF

Verdun Thomas Williams 18/04/1942 Marine Royal Marines

Verdun Charles Brunsdon 10/06/1942 Trooper Royal Tank Regiment

Verdun Oswald Stuck 22/07/1942 Private New Zealand Infantry

Verdun Louvaine Beach 22/07/1942 Sergeant Australian Infantry

Verdun Clifford Rand 17/08/1942 Private New Zealand Infantry

Verdun Kirk 26/10/1942 Gunner Royal Artillery

Verdun Blake Ray 10/11/1942 Flying Officer RCAF

Verdun George Davies 06/12/1942 Private South Wales Borderers

Verdun Smith 24/12/1942 Air Sergeant South African Air Force

Verdun Trillo 18/03/1943 Fourth Officer Merchant Navy

Verdun Ashley Scott 05/09/1943 Flight Lieutenant RAF

Verdun Phillips 29/09/1943 Stoker 1c Royal Navy

Verdun Arthur Vowles 15/10/1943 Lance Corporal Corps of Military Police

Verdun James Chorley 22/10/1943 Pilot Officer RAFVR

Verdun Frederick McDonald 07/11/1943 Flight Lieutenant RCAF

Verdun Thomas Geo. Whitcombe 21/01/1944 Private Somerset Light Infantry

Verdun James Johncock 22/01/1944 Private Queens Royal West Kent

Verdun Mons Coker 19/02/1944 Private New Zealand Infantry

Verdun Harold Alfred Mears 30/03/1944 Able Seaman Royal Navy

Verdun Ernest Rogers 14/05/1944 Corporal King’s Own Shropshire LI

Verdun Evans Price 17/06/1944 Private Welch Regiment

Verdun Douglas George England 21/06/1944 Fusilier Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers

Verdun Douglas George Williams 06/07/1944 Private Queens Royal West Kent

Verdun James 15/07/1944 Private Gloucestershire Regiment

Verdun Hayes 10/08/1944 Private Seaforth Highlanders

Verdun Murry Biles 17/08/1944 Corporal Australian Army Postal Sv

Verdun Iven Thomas 08/09/1944 Corporal QRR (West Surrey)

Verdun Hughes 14/09/1944 Trooper Royal Canadian Dragoons

Verdun J. Elliott 18/09/1944 Lance Corporal Nova Scotia Highlanders

Verdun Dennis Venn 05/10/1944 Leading Aircraftsman RAFVR

Verdun Honsberger 24/10/1944 Private A&S Highlanders

Verdun Frederick Waters 06/03/1945 Private King’s Own Shropshire LI

Verdun Guy Blazeley 21/03/1945 Private Australian Army Sv Corps

Verdun Glenwood Parker 08/04/1945 Private 1st. Canadian Parachute

Verdun Gregson Bradley 29/04/1945 Marine Royal Marines

Verdun Louis Robinson 16/05/1945 Petty Officer Royal Navy

Verdun Reginald Kinnon 07/06/1945 Private Australian Army Postal Sv

Verdun Plowman 09/08/1945 CQMS Royal Corps of Signals

Verdun Bernice Sheah 15/11/1945 Sister RAAF Nursing Service

Douglas

Apologies for the less than straight columns

In memory of his father he was given the first name of European.

There are 41 Europeans. It started in August 1914 and finished in 1916. I wonder what put a stop to that notion?

Further to the ww2 casualties, one of the ww1 casualties was Redvers Kitchener Dodd, 8th Royal Berkshire, 3rd September 1918.

I have a relative, born 1900, by the name Redvers BP Picton. The BP we presume refers to Baden Powell. The Picton is not the same family as Sir Thomas Picton, killed at the Battle of Waterloo, but many people linked to his estate (Picton Castle) took the name and this is also my family's connection. This gives my relative three military personalities' names in his. Is this a record?

Gwyn

It's not confined to children born during WW1. A friend of mine gave his daughter the middle name "Marne." She was born about 15 years ago! I asked them at the time why they decided to lumber their daughter with the name of a WW1 battle. They hadn't looked at it that way. I think my friend's grandfather's first name was Marne which is why they chose it.

Going back to a much earlier period, I know of a Talavera Johnstone. Apparently she preferred to be known as 'Vera'!

Regards,

Alf McM

I named my son (Simeon) after his great uncle who died in the Great War

Private Simeon Holden Service No: 37460 Date of Death: 20/03/1916 Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers 3rd Bn. Grave Reference D. Chapel. 536. Cemetery HEYWOOD CEMETERY, LANCASHIRE

Going back to a much earlier period, I know of a Talavera Johnstone. Apparently she preferred to be known as 'Vera'!

Regards,

Alf McM

If she had been named Salamanca then Sal or Sally would have done. Been a bit tough for a girl being called Waterloo though

I like the name Amiens or Beaumont. :)

A bit off topic but my youngest son was named after Capt Myles Keogh 7th US Cavalry.

khaki

Khaki, I hope you only used the names Myles and/or Keogh, and have not called your son "7th US Cavalry"? Or have you taken after the Beckhams?.... :)

Khaki, I hope you only used the names Myles and/or Keogh, and have not called your son "7th US Cavalry"?

Perhaps more famous than Myles Keogh was his horse Comanche, the sole US survivor of the Battle of Little Bighorn.

See my post #21 on this thread. Michael Keogh on casements Irish Brigade was also related to Myles Keogh

Perhaps your son got way with being called Comanche!

"Comanche" still survives to this day, and is on display at the Kansas City University Museum. No my son wasn't given a 'rank', 'regiment' or even a battlefield name. I preferred the first name of a brave officer.

:hypocrite:

best wishes

khaki

Interesting topic....

I have a Melba Peace Berthelsen born May 1919 and a Cavell Bridges Berthelsen born 1 April 1915 (General Bridges).

Rgds

Tim D

When Zeppelin L33 was shot down on 23/24 September 1916 at Great Wigborough in Essex, a baby girl born that night at Abbots Hall Cottages, Great Wigborough, was named Zeppelina Clark.

Alan

When Zeppelin L33 was shot down on 23/24 September 1916 at Great Wigborough in Essex, a baby girl born that night at Abbots Hall Cottages, Great Wigborough, was named Zeppelina Clark.

Alan

The total insensitivity of some new parents to their childrens sensibilities in later life never ceases to amaze.