Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wall Heath & kingswinford War Memorial Reseach Group

crackingbloke

Hello All

I am a member of the above group and am very pleased to be able to tell you that we have recieved funding from the Heratige Lottery Fund for our project. Our aim is to produce a web site and rememberance book concentrating on the names recorded on the memorials in the two villages. The Villages are in the West Midlands near Dudley.

We will also be having a number of displays. Our first will be at Kingswinford Libraby in Market Street on 24th November 2012 from 10 Am until 4Pm. We will consider it a very great success if we manage to find a single item of new information to add to the project. If you live in the area it would really be very nice to see you as we would appreciate any support.

Guy

Congratulations to all involved.

I will try to make a visit from Wolves if I have a free hour or so.

Roy

Believe me we really would be very pleased to see as many as possible. It has taken many months to get this going and due to the way the HLF word thing we have not felt able to plan anything until they have given us permission to start. This has resulted in us having to rush a display as we wanted to get it going as near to rememberance day as possible. It really is a lot to take on when you have work and family comitments as well, but we are keen as mustard!

Guy

• 3 months later...

Hello

I would just like to tell anyone who might be interested that the Group are to have another display of the work in progress. We will be at The Church of the Ascension Church Hall in Wall Heath on Saturday 16th February, between 10 and 2.

We have also just launched our website. It is on-going and we will be making regular updates. Wa would be very grateful for your support. We can be found at;

www.wall-heath-and-kingswinford-war-memorials-group.org

Thanks

Guy

Hi crackingbloke and all

Just spoken to your contact number, why not put an individual's name on the forum when you are having difficulty. Eg. J.E.Billingsley. If you tell us what you know already I think you will be amazed at the response. Waiting to search!

Regards Barry

Here goes then. I have taken Barry's advice and these are our problem men;

J E Billingsley, most likely 7414 Worcester Regiment, mic shows discharged and a man of this name is regestered as died 1917.

W Deeley, most likely 440940 William of the Labour Corp formaly Worcesters.

W S E Southall, possible William Samuel Ewart of the Welsh Guards. Problem being he was discharged A1 fit and died in 1930!

W Wilks/Wilkes nothing known

F Willetts/ Willets nothing known

J T Williams nothing known

It goes without saying we would be very gratefull for any help. Confirmation would be wonderful, Identification fantastic and even the disapointment of having the wrong man would be welcome.

Guy

Hi Guy

John Edward Billingsley, b.1881 Kingwinsford. Father Samuel, 1845-1889, mother Emma (Nee Watkins) 1856-. 42 Dawley Brook, 1911. Death cert. 6c, 36 Stourbridge, Worcs. 2 public trees on Ancestry one quotes Pte.7414 Worcestershire Regt. As you say the MIC shows "Dis" although age at entry to theatre is 33 12th Aug 1914 and at death he is 36.

The death cert. should confirm.

Regards Barry

Hi again

William Deeley. Formerly 20602 Worcs. Regt. (SDGW) died at HOME 25.3.18. Can't find a MIC. Could he be William Howard Deeley, b1887.?

William Samuel Ewart Southall was 5604 Welsh Guards and lived at 16 Broad Street, Kingswinford as your site indicates (Pension Records - 8 pages) Tree on Ancestry confirms death in 1930 and his service.

J. T. Williams....?? 1881 census John Thomas Williams 65 Church Street, Dudley b.1875? Wales. Mother Margaret born Sunderland, father Thomas b.Newport. Younger sister Flora born Dudley.

Barry

Hello

I would just like to tell anyone who might be interested that the Group are to have another display of the work in progress. We will be at The Church of the Ascension Church Hall in Wall Heath on Saturday 16th February, between 10 and 2.

We have also just launched our website. It is on-going and we will be making regular updates. Wa would be very grateful for your support. We can be found at;

www.wall-heath-and-kingswinford-war-memorials-group.org

Thanks

Guy

Great to know this work is going on my doorstep. Will pass this on to a few others I know who will be interested. Looking forward to attending on 16th.

Keep up the good work.

Best.

Andy

Andy you can be sure of a welcome. There will be tea and CAKE as well (you have to pay for that). This one has come on us with a bit of a rush but we hope to make it interesting.

Thanks for your input Barry. You have the same men we have but we're not yet confident they are the one's. We really do want to get it right. The other three remain a mistery. I suspect that the solution is in the original appeal for names. How was it worded, or spread by word of mouth. After all, names on memorials are place d there by those that are left, so if aunt wants her nephew remembered and put his name ford, would it be rejected. There is the small point of donations as well. If you want a name on it and they need funds I expect they might be simpathetic. Another point is, could these people read and write. If they were told that names for peolple who died during the war were required, might they think it was anyone who had died, not just those in the services. I'd imagine there could be a different reason behind every name, just as there is a different story behind each one.

Just keeping my fingers crossed for the 16th, how it wont be snowing!

Guy

W S E Southall, possible William Samuel Ewart of the Welsh Guards. Problem being he was discharged A1 fit and died in 1930!

It's not unknown for a man's name to be included on a war memorial despite him having survived the war. Lenton Local History Group (Nottingham) researched the men on their local memorial and discovered that Herbert Allsopp was discharged from the Army in 1916, after hospital treatment for trench foot, because he'd signed up underage. Neither missing or killed in action yet somehow his mother was informed that he'd died and she passed it on to the parish magazine where his death was reported in 1917. By the time he contacted his mother it's assumed that she had moved out of the parish and consequently the parish magazine remained in ignorance of his survival with the result that his name went on the war memorial. He was still living in the Nottingham area in 1939. (All this info appeared in Issue 28 of the Group's magazine, the Lenton Times.

So you may well have the correct W.S.E.Southall.

Thanks for your imput. The name W S E Southall appears in one of the early lists in the local paper, and as you suggest that could be it. However, there is a W Southall recorded in the paper with the 7th Worcester's, I can't remember the date on the top of my head. But the detail of the initials does draw you. I did wonder if it may have been a family member put forward by WSE and that when he went abroad there was confusion over the details and theyput hi,, on. Anyway, that's what this is all about-research.

Regards

Guy

Excellent display Guy and one that evidently drew a lot of interest, you've cetainly done the lads proud.

Roy

Thanks Roy, we do our best. Been a long hard day though. Got a few more leads to follow up and have been asked to go back so it's all good news. Only down side is nothing on our 'mistery men'. But we live in hope. Thanks for coming.

Guy

Really enjoyed the event. I was impressed with the amount of content you had on each of the blokes. I only wished i'd taken my glasses so i could have really got stuck into the wealth of info contained in the newspaper articles in the folders.

Please pass on thanks to everyone involved.

Good luck with your ongoing research.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks very much for your remarks and support. We have not done to badly with the men we have found, it's those that have got away that are vexing us. It is interesting how many people who visit us are related to the same soldier. But as you might expect there is no one to point us in the direction of the one's we can't find. However, there is still time. We hope to do the exhibit againg in two or three months this time in Kingswinford. The idea is not to make it to often and show different material (if we can find it!) so if the same people come there is still something to see. Can't tell you how tied we get doing it, but it's worth it.

Guy

• 4 months later...

Hello All, Just a quick message to say we, that is The Wall Heath and Kingswinford War Memorial Research Group are holding a display of our up-dated research on 29th July at The Church of the Ascension Hall in Wall Heath. Same venue as last time. It is meant to co-inside with the Wall Heath Summer fair, of which we have heard very little and Armed Forces Day. We hope to show double to amount of research this time and have a number of original items leant to us by local families also on display. It would be nice to see you if you can make it. Guy

Have you checked these CWGC entries for their Kingswinford links?

BODENHAM JOSEPH J

BOWEN JAMES J

COLES ROBERT HENRY R H

COMPTON JAMES J

DILLWORTH GEORGE ALFRED G A

ELWELL L A

FARMER WALTER HARRY W H

FIELD G

GILL FREDERICK F

HOLDEN HYLA NAPIER H N

HUSSELBEE T

JONES A T

JONES S

LEWIS THOMAS T

NICHOLLS E

PARTON A G

PEARSON THOMAS ROGERS T R

ROPER N T

RYDER ERNEST E

and these two seem to have Wall Heath links

HARDING HAROLD TOM H T

PERKS ALFRED A

You have found Lounds under his correct Birth Registration of Lownes

Groan! this was supposed to be just a light hearted tweak..... but I've now got RSI, so I suggest you sit down, put a new battery in your pacemaker and get a stiff brandy.....

Soldiers Died produce these Names which look "new" to me/you.....

Name: Percy James Biddle. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Kingswinford.

Death Date: 16 May 1915. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Abingdon.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire Regiment). Battalion: 1st Battalion. Number: 8301

Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: Squire Cooper. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Kingswinford, Staffs.

Death Date: 12 Oct 1916. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Brierley Hill, Staffs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 8th Service Battalion. Number: 14123.

Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

Name: Ernest Ryder. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Kingswinford, Staffs.

Death Date: 12 Dec 1917. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 2/6th (T.F.) Battalion. Number: 241558.

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: Samuel Blackford. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Tipton, Staffs.

Death Date: 16 Jun 1915. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Dudley, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 3rd Battalion. Number: 8280.

Name: John Dingley. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Brierley Hill, Staffs.

Death Date: 1 Jul 1916. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Wolverhampton.

Rank: Private. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion. Number: 9404.

Name: Albert Edmunds. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Brierley Hill.

Death Date: 21 Mar 1918. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Brierley Hill, Staffs.

Rank: L/Corporal. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 10th Battalion. Number: 39873.

Comments: Formerly 9247, South Staffs Regt.

Name: William Hoggitt Jordan. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Brierley Hill, Staffs.

Death Date: 25 Sep 1915. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Wolverhampton.

Rank: Sergeant. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion. Number: 9853.

Name: Enoch Malpass. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Brierley Hill, Staffs.

Death Date: 21 May 1917. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 10th Battalion. Number: 5554.

Name: Arthur Richard Rogers. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Dudley.

Death Date: 19 Apr 1916. Death Location: Home. Enlistment Location: Worcester.

Rank: Driver. Regiment: Royal Army Service Corps. Number: T4/127777.

Type of Casualty: Died. Theatre of War: Home.

Name: George Shakespeare. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Pensnett.

Death Date: 30 Apr 1916. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Worcester.

Rank: Sergeant. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 2nd Battalion. Number: 11703.

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

Name: Richard James Timfnins. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Worcs. Residence: Cannock, Staffs.

Death Date: 14 Aug 1917. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Hednesford, Staffs.

Rank: A/Corporal. Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment. Battalion: 2nd Battalion. Number: 40527.

Comments: Formerly 15690, S. Staff. Regt., M.M.

(I believe this should be TIMMINS - possibly related to C Timmins shown?)

Name: George Harry Ward. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Worcs. Residence: Wordsley.

Death Date: 18 Sep 1918. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Brierley Hill.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Machine Gun Corps. Battalion: (Infantry). Number: 136005.

Name: Sydney Boydall. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Dudley, Worcs.

Death Date: 18 May 1915. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Darlaston, Staffs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 2nd Battalion. Number: 15752.

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

Name: Raynard Dorrell Brock. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Kidderminster.

Death Date: 22 Apr 1916. Death Location: Mesopotamia. Enlistment Location: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 9th Battalion. Number: 18904.

Type of Casualty: Died. Theatre of War: Asiatic Theatres.

Name: Leonard Brookes. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Dudley, Worcs.

Death Date: 17 Aug 1917. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Wolverhampton.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion. Number: 235028.

Comments: Formerly 203023, South Staffs Regt.

Name: Sidney George Elcock. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: King's Norton, Worcs.

Death Date: 17 May 1917. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Barnt Green, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 2nd Battalion. Number: 32146.

Type of Casualty: Died. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

Name: Frederick Evans. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Birmingham.

Death Date: 8 Feb 1918. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Birmingham.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 14th Battalion. Number: 24206.

Type of Casualty: Died. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

(possibly related to L Evans?)

Name: Frank Giles. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Death Date: 27 Sep 1918. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Wolverhampton.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Devonshire Regiment. Battalion: 5th (P.O.W.) Battalion (Territorials). Number: 72069.

Name: Harry Hingley. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Death Date: 16 Jul 1916. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Kidderminster.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 1/7th Battalion. Number: 2594.

Name: Joseph Jenkins. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Wollaston, Worcs.

Death Date: 26 Aug 1916. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 3rd Battalion. Number: 27647.

Name: Albert Jones. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Death Date: 22 Mar 1918. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Worcester.

Rank: L/Corporal. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 10th Battalion. Number: 14928.

Name: Joseph Henry Phillips. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Stourbridge.

Death Date: 18 Nov 1915. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 10th Battalion. Number: 18987.

NOT the one you already have!

Name: John Ernest Postings. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Stourton, Worcs.

Death Date: 1 Mar 1918. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 2nd Battalion. Number: 202172.

Name: John Thomas Price. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Pensnett, Worcs.

Death Date: 7 Nov 1914. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Dudley, Worcs.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 3rd Battalion. Number: 7288.

Name: Thomas Samuel Rowlands. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Worcs. Residence: Erdington, Birmingham.

Death Date: 23 Jul 1916. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Birmingham.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Battalion: 14th Battalion. Number: 16/1944.

Name: Enoch Smith. Birth Place: Kingswinford, Staffs. Residence: Stourbridge, Worcs.

Death Date: 19 Jan 1917. Death Location: Mesopotamia. Enlistment Location: Worcester.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 9th Battalion. Number: 13966.

Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Asiatic Theatres.

.... but not your Wilks/Willets or Williams....!

Also you have these WW2 casualties that have links, some even in your Churchyard but not (yet) included!

CARTER, JOSEPH HERBERT. Rank: Private. Service No: 5333632. Date of Death: 16/05/1940. Age: 28.

Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment. 1st Bn.

Panel Reference: Column 112. Memorial: DUNKIRK MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Emma Jane Carter; husband of Mary Ellen Carter, of Kingswinford, Staffordshire.

GARTON, HERBERT FREDERICK. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 4037893. Date of Death: 04/05/1944. Age: 28.

Regiment/Service: Durham Light Infantry. 2nd Bn.

Panel Reference: Face 17. Memorial: RANGOON MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Herbert and Alice Garton; husband of Gladys Garton, of Kingswinford, Brierley Hill, Staffordshire.

GOODE, CYRIL ARTHUR. Rank: Flight Sergeant. Service No: 1245670. Date of Death: 06/06/1944. Age: 24.

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 578 Sqdn.

Panel Reference: Panel 218. Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of William and Phoebe Elizabeth Goode; husband of Evelyn May Goode, of Kingswinford, Staffordshire.

WHEATLEY, JOHN. Rank: Leading Aircraftman. Service No: 1540632. Date of Death: 08/03/1947. Age: 53.

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Grave Reference: East of church. Cemetery: KINGSWINFORD (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD

Additional Information: Son of John and Elizabeth Wheatley, of Kingswinford, Brierley Hill; husband of Ada Wheatley, of Stone.

BILBOE, HAROLD. Rank: Sapper. Service No: 1911001. Date of Death: 25/04/1947. Age: 46.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers.

Grave Reference: New part. East side. Row 6. Right. Grave 6. Cemetery: KINGSWINFORD (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD.

EDWARDS, LILIAN OLIVE. Rank: Leading Aircraftwoman. Service No: 2059792. Date of Death: 09/10/1943. Age: 27.

Regiment/Service: Women's Auxiliary Air Force.

Grave Reference: New part. East side. Row 2. Grave 6. Cemetery: KINGSWINFORD (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD

Additional Information: Daughter of Richard and Mary Edwards, of Wordsley.

Now you've got until the 29th July to check these out!

... sorry!

Hello All, Just a note to thank you all for your support. We have been very busy, not only with the project but other things to and I have been very re-miss in replying on line. I apologise. Some of our holiday has been spent reading the newspapers even though they are a hundred years out of date, but it has moved us on a long way. I can now report that the only men we are unsure of are; H Holden who was a WW2 casualty. W Deeley who is probable the one buried in Dudley, W S E Southall, who is most likely the one who died in 1930, J T Williams we believe was a miner who was probable a time expired soldier who died later. F Willetts remains a mistery. One thing that we turned up going through the papers was that they originally had a Roll of Honour in the 'War Shrine'. This had 360 names on it of all the locals serving and I suspect that for some reason, when this was replaced with the names of the dead it got muddled up. The search goes on. We doubled the size of our last display and it went down well. It can't get any bigger as it wont go in the car, so we will be mixing things up a bit next time. As well as our own material we were lent some nice examples of memorabilia from some of the families and we hope to do that again. As well as our own projects we have been asked to display as part of Dudley Borough WW1 programme, so we will see what comes of that. We will be updating the website again over the next couple of weeks and I hope you will pop in for a look. www.wall-heath-and-kingswinford-war-memorials-group.org

• 1 month later...

To anyone who is interested. Our next display is pencilled in for 9th November 2013 at The Cross Kingswinford. We have done Libraries and church hall so now a pub. Will be really interesting to see how many and who come's to see us. I must say the landlady couldn't be more helpful. We will be confirming, contacting the press and doing out leafleting and postering about a month before the event.

The project is coming on well although we seem to have gathered all the local information. However it is part of our remit to be involved with all sides of the communities and no doubt there are people who have information who never use libraries or church hall's. Here's hopeing for the best, and a lunch time pint.

Guy

Out of interest, is there any sort of wall memorial in Wall Heath United Reformed Church?

99% sure there is not any memorials in the reform church. Last time we were in there was when my father in law died but even then I am sure I would have clocked a decent memorial, and the boss who knows better says not as well.

Guy