Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where did those conscripted in 1916 onwards go to enlist

Paul Crook

My grandfather lived in Thetford in 1917 (on the Norfolk/Suffolk border). He enlisted in Leicester in October 1917, 3 months after his 18th birthday so I assume he was conscripted. However, I can't work out why he would have gone to Leicester to enlist instead of, say, Norwich or Ipswich. (He ended up in the Yorkshire Regt, but that was answered in a previous topic)

Can anyone help with this one please?

Thanks

Paul

It's simply a case of "you went to where, you were told to go". As an 18year old conscript he had no choice in the matter and in his case he automatically would have been sent to the nearest "Graduated" Battalion of the Training Reserve. At this time, training for 18year old conscripts, was 'phased', whereby they started off in a recruit company and progressed through the battalions companies until almost ready for active service. From memory I think that after training with a 'Graduated' Battalion, they were then sent to a 'Young Soldier' Battlion, for final intensive training, before being transferred to a front line unit.

Again there was no choice in the matter, but they did try and send them to units within the Command they came from, but this didn't often work, especially after major offensives resulted in huge losses and so they were often sent to units well away from their home districts.

Again there was no choice in the matter, but they did try and send them to units within the Command they came from, but this didn't often work, especially after major offensives resulted in huge losses and so they were often sent to units well away from their home districts.

Which is why bewildered Englishmen from the Home Counties could find themselves serving in a Highland regiment