Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers - War Diary excerpts

Blackblue

Don't suppose anyone has a copy of the War Diary for the 11th Lancashire Fusiliers between Feb and Aug 1918?

If not would appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of a researcher would may be able to obtain a copy.

Reds

Tim D

Don't suppose anyone has a copy of the War Diary for the 11th Lancashire Fusiliers between Feb and Aug 1918?

Got the lot, Tim (Sept 1915 through to Aug 1918). Anything in particular that you're looking for?

Dave

Great news Dave!

I suspect my Grandfather joined them after the 9th Bn was disbanded in February 1918, so am chasing Feb 1918 to disbandment. I have posted another couple of threads about the broad circumstances. He joined the 1/5th Bn in July 1918.

Happy to pay for copying/postage etc.

Rgds

Tim

Dave,

Sorry to but in but can you help with a couple of date for me, please, both men from Walsall.

I have a man died of wounds on Saturday 11 August 1917, most probably wounded on the 10th

and a man Kia on Saturday 20 April 1918

many thanks if you can help,

Regards,

Graeme

10th & 11th Aug 1917...

post-357-0-70256400-1351109084_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-66028200-1351109115_thumb.jpg

20th April 1918...

post-357-0-51388500-1351109331_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, but do you have the rest of the WD for the 10 August 1917, the page(s) previous to the one posted ??

Many thanks,

Graeme

Sorry... that was caused by me not reading what I was posting! Here's the first bit of the 10th...

post-357-0-35271400-1351240076_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I am trying to get hold of any diary information for my great uncle. Private Harold Ephraim Levy 57567 who was killed on the 10/8/18 aged 18 years old in the battle of ypres. His body was never found.

I wondered whether anyone may have an account of the days battle to fully understand what happened.

I wondered whether anyone could point me in the right direction.

Kind Regards,

Hi,

He was actually killed on 10 August 1918 during the allied offensive on the Somme front (not in the Ypres area).

He was 18 years old. Although Soldiers Died in the Great War has him serving with the 16th Bn the CWGC has him with the 11th Bn.

His number appears to be in a series that went to the 11th Bn, but he would have been serving with the 16th Bn when he was killed. The 11th suffered very heavy casualties in the German attacks of March-May 1918 and were cut off and decimated on 28 May. They did not see battle again, survivors spent a short period with a composite battalion before the 11th was reduced to cadre strength and eventually disbanded at Dieppe on 12 August 1918.

The 15th and 16th Bns were part of the 32nd Division and were involved in an attack on Damery Wood near Bouchoir (about 25-30km SW of Amiens) on 10 August 1918. Both Bns suffered heavy casualties. I can post more details of the action from the history this evening if you wish.

Rgds

Tim D

Dear Tim,

Thank you very much for this very interesting information and the speed at which you replied. I have google earthed damery and bouchoir and can see what looks like a lot of land scaring there. I couldn't find the wood though I guess it must have been decimated.

Any other information you have about that battle would be greatly appreciated. I am assuming as his body was never found that it was very heavy bombardment and shelling? I am the family keeper of his medal and so for this reason want to find out as much as possible. I get his medal out on armistace day. Also this year our local Church has asked whether anyone specific would like to be remembered the information you have given me will be most useful for this. Thanks again.

S. Baskerville

Hi,

PM me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the pages regarding the 11th Bns demise in May 1918 and 16th Bns attack on 10 August 1918. I think the 16th was enfiladed by machine gun fire from the flank and suffered heavy casualties.

He should have received 2 x medals - the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Reds

Tim D

16th Bn LF war diary entry for 10th Aug 1918...

(PS... Tim, the 11th LF War Diary will be on its way to you before the end of this week.)

Dave

post-357-0-76845700-1351627550_thumb.jpg

Much appreciated mate.

TD

Dear Dave,

Thanks so much for the war diary for the 10th that's More information than I had hoped for so thank you very much. I find it amazing that this information is to hand. I wil now look at google earth to map it out.

Thanks again

Samantha Baskerville

Hi,

Is there much in the War Diary for the period 27th May to 6th June 1918?

Regards

David

• 4 months later...

I recently acquired the MM + Bar for 4297 Pte Thomas Armstrong 11 Lanc Fus. The MM is LG 10 Aug 16 and the Bar is LG 23 Jul 19 to 6th Bn which I assume is where he was transferred when the 11 (Service) Bn was disbanded in Aug 18. I have not be enable to find his service record but do have a copy of his MIC which shows that he entered France with 11th Bn on 25 Sep 15 and so is entitled to a 14-15 Trio. I am interested to have a look at the War Diary to see if I can identify which action he may won his first MM; likely to be some 6 to 8 weeks before the LG entry. Is it available on line?

Is there much in the War Diary for the period 27th May to 6th June 1918?

Sorry David,

Only just looked at this thread again. Can't remember whether I sent you this offline so here it is again in case I didn't...

Dave

post-357-0-62221900-1363630722_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-06116400-1363630767_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-47098900-1363630794_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-07952800-1363630826_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-26672400-1363630834_thumb.jpg

I recently acquired the MM + Bar for 4297 Pte Thomas Armstrong 11 Lanc Fus. The MM is LG 10 Aug 16 and the Bar is LG 23 Jul 19 to 6th Bn which I assume is where he was transferred when the 11 (Service) Bn was disbanded in Aug 18. I have not be enable to find his service record but do have a copy of his MIC which shows that he entered France with 11th Bn on 25 Sep 15 and so is entitled to a 14-15 Trio. I am interested to have a look at the War Diary to see if I can identify which action he may won his first MM; likely to be some 6 to 8 weeks before the LG entry. Is it available on line?

The war diary states that he (and another 6 men) were awarded the Military Medal whilst out of the line at Wavans on 17th June 1916. It was , therefore, likely to have been for the Crosbie Craters action on the night of 15th/16th May (in which, incidentally, Thomas Armstrong was lightly wounded (on the 16th)... he was serving in 'B'Coy at the time)

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave and Tim

Youvwere both v helpful in october with regards to private harold ephraim levy. 57567 I have heard that they trained at belton house near grantham.do you happen to know if this is correct and if so would you have any records of Harold being there.

Regards

Samantha Baskerville

• 5 months later...

Thanks Dave,

A little late I know just picked this up.

Interesting report for the 27 May concerning L/Cp Halliwell's bravey. I know he won the VC, but I didn't realise that heroic actions were written up in such depth in War Diaries- it is virtually his VC citation.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - just discovered this interesting thread.

Would it be possible have a copy or get the ref. for the War Diary for the 11th March-May- 1917? Am interested in a chap I think must have DOW but am hoping to pin down approx. when he was wounded.

Thanks

Tim

For anyone interested in the 11/LFs, a battalion history was published a couple of months ago. No idea how many of them are left, but it may be worthwhile dropping a line to the author who can be contacted on the following link... http://www.burnleyinthegreatwar.info/localbooks/11thlancashirefusiliers.htm

Dave.

post-357-0-54144500-1382347818_thumb.jpg