Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Compilation of Medal Rolls

Blackblue

Does anybody know how the BWM/VM Medal Rolls were created?

My Grandfather, who first served with the 9th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers from 12 September 1915, appears on a page with other men who were all of the 1/6th Bn and were killed or died at Gallipoli (most well before my Grandfather arrived). He does not appear with other men from the 9th.

Were the the rolls created by Regt or by Bn??

Rgds

Tim D

• Admin

Hi Tim

If you read post #114 by themonsstar on this old thread, you'll see how the SWB was organised and I'd imagine the same Record Offices would have handled the other medals.

Looking at some of the rolls, shows different ways they were compiled. I've seen ones arranged by service number and others done alphabetically by surname. I haven't seen any done by battalion but then I haven't looked at too many different regiments. As a man could have moved between battalions in hte same regiment, which one would be the one to sort on? I guess whatever the existing filing system being used by the office - sorted by name or number - is how the rolls were compiled especailly as the battalion was irrelelevant to naming hte medals.

Glen

Thanks Glen,

The 1914/15 Star Roll appears to be in alphabetical order to his Bn. The BWM/VM roll however appears to have no discernible order.

It has the following on his page:

8667 PTE Marshall Whitham - 1/6th Bn. (KIA 3/6/15 at Gallipoli).

7646 SGT John Mellor - 1/6th Bn. (KIA 21/12/15 at Gallipoli).

7515 PTE James Burrows - 1/6th Bn. (Died 24/6/15 at Gallipoli).

6991 CPL Robert Cook - 1/6th Bn. (KIA 5/6/15 at Gallipoli).

6847 SGT James Dean - 1/6th Bn. (KIA 7/8/15 at Gallipoli).

6648 SGT James Boothman - 1/6th Bn. (KIA 18/6/15 at Gallipoli).

24068 PTE Albert Dawe - 9th Bn.

There is a gap in his service papers between the 9th Bn's disbandment in February 1918 and Jun/Jul 1918 when he was transferred to the 1/5th Bn. It appears he served with another unit during this time, my suspicion is the 11th Bn, but I wondered if this Medal Roll may be an indication he served with the 1/6th Bn at some stage?

Rgds

Tim D