Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion HLI action on 04th December 1916 - Mesopotamia

Canutt

Hallo to all, this is my first message on this forum.

Can you tell me something about the action the 1st Highland Light Infantry was involved on 4th Decembre 1916 in Mesopotamia?

It was the only battalion to have casualties (8 KIA) that day, and the british advance to Baghdah would have started only two days later.

Sorry for my poor english.

regards,

Mario

Hello Mario

A link on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page 71st Regiment of Foot

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=71st_Regiment_of_Foot

is to the publication Proud Heritage: The Story of the Highland Light Infantry Volume 3: The Regular, Militia, Volunteer, T.A., and Service Battalions H.L.I. 1882-1918 by Lt.-Col. L. B. Oatts, D.S.O. Late H.L.I.

Chapter XX The Mesopotamia Campaign says

"From May to December, 1916, the 71st remained in camp by the Tigris, training and renewing their strength from returning sick and wounded. On 18 December they marched back to the Dujaila Redoubt, 30 officers and 583 rank and file strong."

So there is no indication of any particular event happening on 4th December 1916

Cheers

Maureen

• 5 years later...

This old thread posed the same question I would like to ask. What were the 8 men from the HLI doing that they were killed in action that day ?

Mr G doesn't seem to know.

Charlie

Does anyone have the war diary, looks like you'll need it. Can't find anything on any of them, service records, newspaper reports etc. 20323 David Harrison died of wounds on the 4th.

Mike

41 minutes ago, Skipman said:

he 4th.

5th ?

Sorry, it was a 9th man who dow the next day that I got confused with

Edited by charlie962

I have it

4th Dec 1916 bn in Camp. Hostile airplane dropped bombs all around camp. 7 killed 9 wounded

Charlie

Source:  

WO 95/5110/4         :9 Indian Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Highland Light Infantry

PS thanks for the prompt, Mike. Looks like that airplane ended up killing 9 and wounding 7. Charlie

Edited by charlie962

• 2 years later...

Thread brought back from the dead!

I'm looking for info on this man who's a distant relative Lance Serjt James Drysdale Killed in action on the 26th Nov 1916 and buried in Amara CWGC site. Possible that there was a bombing raid on that date as well?

War Diaries for units fighting in the Mesopotamia Theatre of War are amongst the many documents that can currently be downloaded for free from the National Archive.

The part for the 1st Battalion HLI covering from December 1915 to January 1917 can be found here:- https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/f109c9339ea742139e20094f542405ed

You do have to sign in to get it for free, but if you don't have an account even that can be set up as part of placing your first order - just click on sign in and follow the instructions. No financial details are required.

Hope that helps,

Peter

His pension card repeats 'killed in action' but there is no war diary entry for that day showing casualties ? Bn were in camp. Do you know what he was doing at that period ? Always possible he was on detachment.

Charlie

On 26/05/2021 at 11:26, charlie962 said:

His pension card repeats 'killed in action' but there is no war diary entry for that day showing casualties ? Bn were in camp. Do you know what he was doing at that period ? Always possible he was on d

Hi,

Charlie no I don't know what he was doing at all as you say no mention of it on diary that day just looks like a normal Sunday with church parades.

Unless he's been wounded or sick with illness prior and death recorded incorrectly when it should have stated died of wounds.

The HLI Chronicles have James Drysdale on a roll of 1st Battalion men wounded in action, and again on a roll of N.C.O.'s and men reported killed in action or died of wounds. Doesn't give date of wounding but might be worth checking when some of the other men were wounded.

Mike

Drysdale.JPG.9dd9858073fa41262485f1bf6de7c2f1.JPG

1129153919_Drysdale2.JPG.80938a2e5ab6fba420210fb662f74add.JPG

1 hour ago, Davy Maclean said:

Thanks odd that he's listed as 2 seperate ranks though

Medal roll has him as acting L-Sgt 1st Battalion think that is most accurate.

Mike