Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Lancaster 1916-1918

naestved

I recently located my great-grandfather Adelbert (known as Albert) Cottam's RMLI service record No 19968 / Chatham Division). It states for the entire period 1 Mar 1916 - 26 Nov 1918 that the name of his Division or ship was " Lancaster". Having done a brief internet search the only information I can find on HMS Lancaster after 1916 is a brief reference to landing in the Falkland Islands to install guns. Can anyone fill me in on where the Lancaster may have served during the period 1916-1918?

Having served in the Grand Fleet 1915-1916, she served in the Pacific 1916-1918. Others may have more detail, otherwise ships' deck logs at Kew will have.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum has an Attestation Pack for your GGF.

Neas, after the input by Horatio, you can find the LOGS of HMS LANCASTER in PRO File ADM 53 / ?????

46007 for March 1916 to

46040 for Dec 1918.

Logs are mainly for navigation / ship running purposes, but do sometimes give info such as ; Lt ???? joined ship / Stoker ???? fell off gang-plank !!

Sadsac

Thanks for the info which will help if I can look at the records online although it seems most of the information is only available by visiting the archives and I am in Australia which makes it a little difficult! Therefore, if anyone has any further detail it would be much appreciated.

Attached photo of a wooden box, very nicely carved all over the lid carved by G A Smith, Stoker First Class (K30065) on HMS Lancaster, with the ship's crest and the dates 1916 - 1919. There are four cartouches in the corners, but only two are filled in, one with 'Peru', one with 'Chile', suggesting that was about all they visited in those 3 years (otherwise I'm sure he would have added further countries...)!

Jane's Fighting Ships states Lancaster was built at Elswick, laid down in March 1901, completed 1904 at a cost of about £775k (bargain!) - under the category 'Old British Cruisers'.

James

post-2897-0-21859900-1350648484_thumb.jp

I can't wait to tell my grandad that his dad probably saw Peru, Chile and from what else I've read maybe the Falkland Islands too - we never realised. My grandad who is almost 90 never knew his dad very well as he died in 1929 when my grandad was only 5 and I am trying to gather information to fill in some gaps about his life before it's too late for my grandad to benefit. Really appreciate seeing that wonderful piece of memorabilia - thank you.

• 1 year later...

Lieutenant-Commander Surgeon John Hadwen of H.M.S. Lancaster is buried in a San Diego, California, cemetery. He died in San Diego on 23rd October 1918 and, from the inscription on his gravestone, it looks as though the ship was badly hit by the 'Spanish Flu' epidemic.

IMG_0804.jpg

HE GAVE HIS LIFE FOR OTHERS,
LAYING HIS LIFE DOWN AT THE
MOMENT WHEN HE HAD BROUGHT
ALL THE GREAT NUMBER OF
INFLUENZA PATIENTS ON BOARD
- SOME 200 TO 300 - BACK TO HEALTH
AND SAFETY, OFFICERS AND
MEN ALIKE RECOGNIZE HIS
SERVICES AND SACRIFICE.

REAR-ADMIRAL P.H. COLUMB R.N.

Two-to-three hundred out of how many? What would the full ship's complement have been?

Thanks. I have to say that I'm amazed that he was able to nurse all those who went down with influenza back to health when it was proving fatal to so many around the world.

Berenice,

Coincidence: I have just spotted a brief obit. for Surg.Lt.Cdr Hadwen in the Journal of the RN Medical Service. If you'd like a copy please PM me with your e-mail and I'll send a scan.

By the way: of the seven obituaries to naval surgeons in that issue, one was k.i.a., one died of wounds, and five died of pneumonia following influenza.

sJ

• 2 months later...

Hello Naestved,

Your Gt. Grandfather may have travelled with my Grandfather who w.as also a Royal Marine. He went across Canada by train to join HMS Lancaster at Esquimalt Dockyard near Victoria on Vancouver Island around 1918/19.

If you can access the link below you will see that the Lancaster left Esquimalt 9th March 1919 to arrive at Sheerness on the 8th June 1919. There is also reference to Staff Surgeon Hadwen whilst the ship is in San Diego 22nd - 24th November 1918. If our grandfather's were together, which is quite likely, it looks like they didn't see the Falklands but they did get to Peru and then through the Panama canal and the Caribbean,

http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-05-HMS_Lancaster3.htm

Hope this helps,

regards

John

• 7 months later...

There were two men from H.M.S. Lancaster buried at Lima, Peru, on the 3rd and 13th of October, 1918. Did she then head north to San Diego where Surgeon Hadwen died on the 23rd?

WESTON, H

Service No: 205055

Date of Death: 03/10/1918

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

H.M.S. Lancaster.

Grave Reference: II. K. 39.

Cemetery: BELLAVISTA OLD BRITISH CEMETERY

HALLETT, ALFRED CALEB

Service No: J/47713

Date of Death: 13/10/1918

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

H.M.S. "Lancaster."

Grave Reference: II. L. 43.

Cemetery: BELLAVISTA OLD BRITISH CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Robert and Fanny Hallett, of Sunnyholm Avenue, Court Estate, Rushden, Northants. Born at South Tottenham, London